Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
I have every Mountain Goats album but I've only ever listened to "Get Lonely". Which ones should I listen to next, especially if I really liked that album?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Twain of Pain posted:

Where should I start with The Replacements?

I definitely think that you should get Tim first and that was my starting point, and then get Let It Be.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

omgwtfitszee posted:

Does anyone know where to start with:

Sunny Day Real Estate

Start with How It Feels To Be Something On, since I think that it's generally their most critically acclaimed album and seems to be a gateway for most people. Get Diary next, if you like that.

quote:

Brand New

Your Favorite Weapon is an alright straightahead pop-punk album, Deja Entendu is a slightly more mature album with less of a pop-punk influence and it sounds a little more serious than YFW, and The Devil And God Raging Inside Me pretty much abandons any pop-punk influence in favor of longer songs and it is their most mature and developed album by a mile. Personally I think that Devil and God is their best, followed by Deja, and then YFW.

quote:

Vampire Weekend

They only have one album. Opinion time: it's a pretty terrible album though so I can't say that I recommend it :ssh:

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
I've only heard Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation and their new album The Eternal, and I've slept on most of what this band has done for way too long. Any thoughts on what other albums to check out?

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
The Fall have nearly 30 studio albums and they've been on my list of bands to check out for a while. I have no idea what a good starting point is, so I was wondering if they have any 'consensus' albums or if I should just get "50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong" and then decide what I like off of that.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Ghost Boner posted:

I just listened to Hombre Lobo by The Eels and really enjoyed it. What would be the best album to go to from here?

Eels are my favorite band, so I hope I can answer this correctly. Were your favorite songs on that album the more sad/introspective ones like The Longing and That Look You Give That Guy or were they the more happy/upbeat ones like Tremendous Dynamite and Prizefighter?

If you lean towards the more sad songs, get Electroshock Blues (2nd best album and also my 2nd favorite album ever) and Blinking Lights (best album).

If you lean towards the happier songs, check out Souljacker and Daisies Of The Galaxy. After that, definitely get Beautiful Freak and Shootenanny....okay, the latter album isn't actually that good unless you're a die-hard fan so I would make that the last one you listen to.

Regardless, you should get Blinking Lights because I feel that that is the best Eels album and it has a variety of moods. It's 2 discs though, which may throw off a newcomer, but I hope you enjoy it as much as I do (it's my favorite album of all time I think)

edit - Although I should have clarified that most of their albums don't neatly fall into happy vs. sad songs and that there's a balance in most of them - a few do lean one way though and that's what I was basing my recommendation on

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 31, 2009

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Ghost Boner posted:

Fresh Blood was my favourite song of the album. I really like the really dark feel it had to it, so any other songs/albums like that would be great.

Unfortunately that song is more electro-influenced than pretty much any other song in their entire catalog - however, if you liked that song, I have a feeling you might enjoy Souljacker to start off with. However, it is definitely not the most depressing album a mile - not sure what kind of 'dark' you're looking for but I'll just reiterate that Blinking Lights and Electroshock Blues are the most depressing. So get those 3, then :) Of course I want you to get every album, it's just hard to whittle it down to a couple

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

shpladoinkle posted:

Now, I've just started on Eels and I thought Beautiful Freak was OK and Electro-Shock Blues was fantastic, is anything else worth it?

Get Blinking Lights and Other Revelations. Every album is good in its own way to me, but that one is my favorite

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

azechiel posted:

I've just recently gotten into Placebo's album Sleeping with Ghosts, and am wondering which one I should get next.

You should probably get Without You I'm Nothing next, in my opinion

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Rhg0061r posted:

Good to place to start with Dinosaur Jnr anyone?

I got into them through Beyond. Most people won't say that it's their best album or anything (You're Living All Over Me seems to be popular consensus) but Beyond is much more accessible to most people's ears and will lead you into wanting to hear their other albums. My progression went something like Beyond -> YLAOM -> Farm -> Bug -> the rest.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Watermelon City posted:

I like Fela Kuti's Zombie and Expensive poo poo. Where do I go from here? He's intimidatingly prolific.

Haha that's exactly the order I started off in too; I'd say get The Best of Black President next since it's kind of a best-of compilation, but that's just me.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Where do I start with Jay-Z? I've only really heard the odd single here and there but I like him a lot, where to first?

The Blueprint, Reasonable Doubt, and then it's less general-consensus from there. I personally like those and the black album the most

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
Where do I start with Bad Religion? I was clicking through Wikipedia reviews of their albums and it looks like the first handful until the mid-90's are the best bets. Is this right?

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

the Bunt posted:

Bon Iver?

He has like, one album and one EP right? Get the album

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

wlokos posted:

I recently joined a band with a lead singer/songwriter who's obsessed with Bruce Springsteen. I grew up in a Springsteen-less household, so I've never really listened to him before. Where to start?

Nebraska and Darkness On The Edge Of Town are my two favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
alright, where should I start with R Kelly? I just know the singles