Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

alnilam posted:

Where start I with Acid Mothers Temple? Someone who knows I love Can and spaced out music and sometimes spaced out noise music said I should really listen to them. Also the couple of times I messed around in last.fm and spotify, they came up when I played Can.

Yeah it's pretty hard to know where to begin with AMT. There are several incarnations, as you probably already know. I've only heard four albums, each from a different incarnation. The Acid Mothers Guru Guru album might be a logical starting place.

edit: Kawabata Makota also has some solo stuff, which is much more spaced-out and psychedelic than any of the AMT stuff, at least that I've heard.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Listen to that song and tell me I'm wrong.

Going in the other direction, I like the Ex, but whatever I've heard of GYBE I remember as boring. What should I listen to to change my mind?

Also here, maybe you'll like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLA80CE394CB1880FA&v=KKu4I4_RBrc

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Voodoofly posted:

Sort of agree here. Lift is their best album, but the heavier parts of Yanqui UXO are what I would play for someone who was just trying to get into them and had reservations. Caveat this response with the fact that I'm definitely not the biggest GYBE fan and that Yanqui UXO was the first album of theirs I listened to properly (and not grabbing one offs back in the napster era).

Edit: Might as well throw one out. Where is the best place to start with Boredoms? I've heard a few songs over the years but couldn't tell you the names of any of them, so consider my a complete novice when it comes to their actual music as opposed to their reputation.

I would listen to Chocolate Synthesizer and Super æ. As mentioned, they have two "phases," Chocolate Synthesizer being noise rock and Super æ being basically krautrock. Both are incredible. They also released versions of "Super Going" as least 3 different times, so clearly that's a special song to them.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I assume Dr Dre would be influenced by stuff like Computerwelt or Autobahn, but their first album is also really good. The second album is also good, but not as strong. Haven't listened to the third. Apparently Kraftwerk themselves consider Autobahn to be their first "real" album. The early stuff is definitely more archetypical krautrock rather than the electronic music they are known for. I really haven't heard anything by Kraftwerk that isn't good.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Any other punk/post punk band from the 70s. What do you listen to otherwise?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah sorry I guess I should have realized given the thread. I think the general consensus is the Damned never did anything good besides those two albums, although I am told the The Black Album is “more than half good.”

I think The Song the Lord Gave Us by The Cramps fits the spooky punk vibe and is way good, if you haven’t listened to them already.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Have you ever listened to Cynic?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

So you want emo released after 1997? Emo is means different things to different people, so not really sure what you’re looking for. Have you listened to stuff like Life at These Speeds, Stop It!!, Yaphett Kotto, City of Caterpillar, I Robot, Orchid, etc.?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah you probably wouldn’t like any of those bands then. Embrace is really good. You should listen to Rites of Spring, if you haven’t already. I don’t think I can help you much otherwise.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

XBenedict posted:

There is also strong merit for Three Imaginary Boys.

That album is good, but isn't it way different from the rest of their discography? I've never bothered with anything else, because I am under the impression it is all goth rock.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Are you a fan of any of the bands with which the collaborate, eg Guru Guru, Gong, Afrirampo, etc?

Acid Mothers SWR has Tatsuya Yoshida on drums, and will feel familiar to any fan of his.

I too am intimidated their discography and only have a couple records. It’s kind of a cliche, but my experience is they are way better live than on record.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

I've always thought of the Ramones as a singles band. I think you're better off with a best-of collection there, and you can dig into the albums that any of the songs you really like come from.

For the Clash, London Calling is their big album and is definitely something you should listen to.

I’m not sure about that. The self titled Ramones album is incredible.

For the Clash, I find their self titled to be similarly incredible. London Calling is also very good, but Give Em Enough Rope is only OK.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah Kraftwerk rules and the first two albums are very much krautrock. Panda Bear also sampled from the third album so you know it must be good.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Imahori Tsuneo did some anime stuff, specifically Trigun, but also others. He was in Tipographica, with which I'm honestly not that familiar. However!! He did two albums with Yoshida Tatsuya, both of which are most excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8khauY4Jt7o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdV3VRymmi4

"Language Pollution" is so good. I can't find it on YouTube. These songs are both good, though.

edit: I just realized you said JRPG and not anime, but I think there's a pretty narrow Venn diagram here. "Japanese rock/metal" is extremely vague. Here's some other stuff which might be right up your alley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS9sVlKTf_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B2tjRv7IPo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71gGVNjhxng
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj_75EL9hF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_xAz8jnIxQ

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 27, 2019

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Braid? I love this 7”, but I am more into skramz personally so also open to suggestions.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

BigFactory posted:

It’s all pretty much the same

Yeah

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What music do you normally listen to? Close to the Edge rules. Is it too flamboyant, wanky, and/or drawn out? Prog is pretty broad, almost to the point of being an adjective. Maybe if you narrow in on your tastes, you can find some you like.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Joy Division is Serious Business

Can you elaborate on this opinion? It reminds me of an article I saw around the 30th “anniversary” of Ian’s death (which for some reason we commemorate) about the “enduring influence” of Joy Division on literally everything artistic, from photography to literature, as if Joy Division were the most important band of the last 40 years, and I’m not sure they are.

Don’t get me wrong: Joy Division is excellent and everyone should listen to them, but there is a really weird beatification of Ian and gross glamorization of his depression and suicide, and as a result, the elevation of Joy Division. They were a really good post punk band, but I think that’s about it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Maps is off their first album which is a good album, but I think it is mostly different from those two songs. I would definitely recommend the first album.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Transmission is one of the greatest songs ever. Joy Division only have two albums so just dive in. New Order’s Movement is basically the third Joy Division album IMO and you should listen to that too.

Edit:

Cemetry Gator posted:

I feel like if you like Joy Division, you also need to check out early New Order, since they are basically the same band, minus Ian Curtis.

Yeah this. The first 7” is literally two JD songs.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 28, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Of the Damo Suzuki stuff, Future Days is the gentlest. Ege Bamyasi probably splits the difference between Future Days and Tago Mago. All three are excellent, but for most I’d recommend working backwards.

Monster Movie is also great.

There was a big post about all their albums in the vinyl thread that I’ll find and post in here when I am at a computer, unless someone else can!

e: spelling

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

Assuming that you're talking about the US band, Embrace is what Ian MacKaye did between Minor Threat and Fugazi. Those are two hugely influential bands, so if you want more after listening to Embrace's only album, look at their work. Minor Threat's complete recordings have been released on a single disc titled Complete Discography so that's obviously the one to recommend. Fugazi has a larger catalog but most fans would agree that 13 Songs is the most important work they did.

Fugazi rules but is nothing like Embrace IMO. “13 Song” isn’t an actual release just a reissue of their first two EPs so it will feel pretty incoherent as your first exposure.

Repeater is where their sound really crystallized and built off what they did on Margin Walker (2nd half of 13 Songs).

OP if the DC Embrace is what you’re talking about then look up Revolution Summer and go from there.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That’s a weird comparison to me. Magazine sounds way more like Stranglers than Television. Real Life is all I’ve ever listened to actually. It’s perfectly fine but didn’t strike me as anything special.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Brian Eno? I had heard some stuff a long time ago but never really made an impression on me. Recently I heard "No One Receiving" on the radio and was really surprised. Very strong Talking Heads and XTC vibes. Then a few weeks later I heard Fractal Zoom which I kind of love as like crappy lofi early electronic, and I am surprised again it is Eno.

I just listened to the whole of Before and After Science and it rules. As I was typing this post, YouTube played "Lightness: Music for the Marble Palace." This kind of what I remember Eno being. It's not bad but just maybe a little too passive or mellow for what I am usually in the mood for. I think maybe I should listen to Another Green World next.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:hellyeah:

I love Melt-Banana. They're playing at Great American Music Hall on March 14 FYI. They are incredible live, but sadly not as good as they used to be, at least the last time I saw them.

I'd probably go with Scratch or Stitch if I had to start somewhere other than at the start. Melt-Banana is pretty fast and heavily hardcore influenced, and this album is where that happened. The stuff before that is definitely Melt-Banana and good, but this is the definitive album, I guess. Their drummer actually quit after they recorded it, because he didn't like playing fast, hah. They have famously been without a drummer ever since.

I think if you listen to Teeny Shiny or Cell-Scape, it is their "poppy" era. Maybe it's just production. They still get into the weeds, if you will, on their EPs. This is off an EP between those two albums, but feels a lot more raw than either. That whole EP rules. They actually put out two compilations of their EPs: 13 Hedgehogs and Return of 13 Hedgehogs, which is all their EPs (or singles as they apparently call them!!!). In fact those two may be the best place to start, as it really runs the gamut. Just bear in mind those are compilations/anthologies and not proper albums.

I can post more but would maybe be better responding to anything specific! I've seen them like 10 times over the last ~20 years and have every single album/EP/single and have basically every song memorized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

bbobseq posted:

Looking for recs for 70's-80s British oi oi punk that is not racist.
please no clash, sex pistols, damned, etc.-looking for more obscure stuff.

You want actual oi bands? Because the bands you listed aren’t oi. I am not snarking just clarifying.