Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

dypsomaniac posted:

Me Personally, I'd like to know where to start with Kraftwerk as I keep being recommended them but haven't had the time to look around yet.

Autobahn and Computer World :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

ZackHoagie posted:

I would love to get into both Devo and Aphex Twin

Don't know about Devo but as for Aphex Twin, it depends on what kind of sound you want. He has various styles but the biggest two would be ambient and IDM/DNB.

For ambient stuff, try out Selected Ambient Works vol 1 and 2. For the latter, go with either the Richard D. James Album and Drukhqs. Also check out I Care Because You Do.

After that it's just going through his huge catalog and finding stuff you like. He has a whole slew of alternate names like AFX, Universal Indicator, Gak, Polygon Window, and several more.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Pheener posted:

Believe it or not, where do I start with Metallica? I've never been one for metal, though I can't honestly say I've given it a good try, and as cliche as Metallica is, I've never really heard them. The only exception is the occasional radio play (which is rare on the classic rock stations I listen to) and a few trips with friends.

Considering you've never heard much from them, and haven't been much for metal, then I'd say the Black album (the self-titled one) would be pretty accessible. It's the album that was most radio-friendly (up to that point) and the one where most non-Metallica fans have heard and enjoyed.

That's pretty much a good dividing point for the band. From there, you can either go chronologically backwards to their more thrashier and heavier stuff or push forward and head into the "country hard rock" phase which isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. (Load and Reload)

Two very goods ones are Garage Inc which consists of cover songs from their earlier influences and S&M which was a live concert they did with the San Francisco Symphony. You may not think that Metallica and symphonic music mesh together very well, but it sounds surprisingly great and you should definitely give it a listen.

Despite having a completely open mind about them, you'll still probably want to skip St. Anger.