Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

monstertruckdriver posted:

I realize he's quite prolific and has a ton of bands, but what's a good starting point for Mike Patton?

Faith No More - Angel Dust is one of the best albums of all time. Pretty brilliant, being both weird as hell, but also having a ton of hooks and it rocks the gently caress out.

Mr Bungle - California would probably be the next one I'd get if you are new to it all. It pretty much tackles every genre, and invents a few of it's own.

Tomahawk - Mit Gas sits somewhere between the two albums. It's one of the very few straight up rock records Patton has done in recent years, but it's still got his unique flavour to it.

The rest is pretty much sorting through and guessing. Most of the collaborations are good if you are a fan of both Patton and the original artist. His work on Bjork's Medulla is pretty stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I would agree with Ænema. It's got enough hooks to remind you of their earlier stuff, but it paved the way for their unorthodox and epic sound in following albums.

Also, it has Third Eye on it.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

I heard Sweet Honey Pie by Roky Erickson, and I am in love. What next?

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

19charactersorless. posted:

The Greatest is her best, containing Chan's strongest vocal work combined with some great brass, however for her more 'indie' albums try You Are Free and Moon Pix.

Cat Power has two distinct eras:

Weird indie rock singer: see bMoon Pix

Folk Singer: You Are Free

I would argue that You Are Free is more The Greatest and less Moon Pix. Maybe Not is a song that set a pretty clear path for the next few years. The Greatest is a neat album, but I much prefer Moon Pix. That said, What Would The Community Think? is really weird, but fantastic. It has a wicked cool cover of Smog's Bathysphere on it.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

Where do I start with Smog? He has a crazy amount of albums, but every song I hear of his is fantastic.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

Deceiver posted:

Any luck on where to start with Bjork?

Post.

If you don't like It's All So Quiet, don't worry, it's not the tone of the whole album. And it has Hyper Ballad, which hooked me onto her work.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm really curious about The Desert Sessions. Where should I start with them if I want to get into them?

Get the latest one from, like, nearly ten years ago and go backwards. They are all good, but it is easier to just go backwards especially because the earlier stuff is a lot of jams.

Also, their cover of Eccentric Man is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

Puttblug posted:

Where do I start with rap? I've never really had any interest in it. But I recently came across The Last Episode by Dr. Dre and loved every bit of it. The guitar beat, the lyrics, etc. I know it's pretty vague, but what should I try out based on that?

The album that really got me into rap was Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein. It has these honest, raw lyrics over spacey sci-fi beats. Really talented guys, check out the opening track for a taste.

If you want a stone cold classic, Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers is a must. I'm a sucker for RZA's production. Also, OutKast - Stankonia is a masterpiece, but with a few missteps.

I'm no expert, but I only got into rap 5 years ago, so this is what got me into it.