Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
My fiancé is a firefighter, volunteer now and in the (slow) process of being hired onto a full time dept. The dept is in a VERY rough area that has a lot of dilapidated/abandoned houses being set on fire. My town does mutual aid and on his first fire there the basement caved in.
Anyways, there was a line of duty death in Massachusetts today and those always shake him up. He’s mentioned getting eloped before our actual wedding date so that should something happen I’m not left high and dry. With the death he’s really pushing the idea.
I’m ok with that idea and then still having the big ceremony, but how do I work that out with the officiant for the ceremony? Do I celebrate 2 wedding anniversaries? It’s a lot of weird grey area.
I just put a deposit down on our venue so I can’t scrap that and do a completely different impromptu backyard party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

CeramicPig posted:

My fiancé is a firefighter, volunteer now and in the (slow) process of being hired onto a full time dept. The dept is in a VERY rough area that has a lot of dilapidated/abandoned houses being set on fire. My town does mutual aid and on his first fire there the basement caved in.
Anyways, there was a line of duty death in Massachusetts today and those always shake him up. He’s mentioned getting eloped before our actual wedding date so that should something happen I’m not left high and dry. With the death he’s really pushing the idea.
I’m ok with that idea and then still having the big ceremony, but how do I work that out with the officiant for the ceremony? Do I celebrate 2 wedding anniversaries? It’s a lot of weird grey area.
I just put a deposit down on our venue so I can’t scrap that and do a completely different impromptu backyard party.

Have you booked an officiant for the big ceremony? If not you could have an officiant for the elopement and then have a trusted friend officiate the big one. On the other hand, if you want the same officiant for both, the right person will be happy to work with what you want.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

slinkimalinki posted:

Have you booked an officiant for the big ceremony? If not you could have an officiant for the elopement and then have a trusted friend officiate the big one. On the other hand, if you want the same officiant for both, the right person will be happy to work with what you want.

I haven’t looked too deep into officiants yet, we’re not getting married until October 2021, I just wanted to get the big stuff (the venue) booked cause October is wedding season in the Chicago area and there are places already booking up for that date.
But the far off date is part of why I’m stressing a bit about eloping. The hiring process is slow and I’m gonna let him gauge if/when he thinks it’s necessary to elope just because he might be on the ambulance for a while which is more low risk.
But I like your idea of keeping the same officiant, cause even if it’s like a year between eloping and the big ceremony they’d be willing to work with that and would understand our situation from the get go.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

CeramicPig posted:

But I like your idea of keeping the same officiant, cause even if it’s like a year between eloping and the big ceremony they’d be willing to work with that and would understand our situation from the get go.
Honestly, having an officiant who really gets you makes a huge difference. Some of our friends who had weddings before us hadn't had much choice in theirs (short notice ceremony, relative was an officiant etc etc) and really commented on how well ours suited us. If you find someone good, they should be able to weave the story of the elopement into the big ceremony.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

slinkimalinki posted:

Have you booked an officiant for the big ceremony? If not you could have an officiant for the elopement and then have a trusted friend officiate the big one.
This is exactly what I just did. Got legally married a bit less than a week before our wedding celebration last week (holy poo poo it feels like it's been an eternity). It may depend on your state laws, but we just did a short city hall thing with a Justice of the Peace for the legal bit, then had our friend officiate the wedding symbolically. Worked great, especially because we did the wedding in a different state than we live in and didn't want to deal with that. We're just gonna keep track of the first date as the legal one to put on things and celebrate anniversaries on the second one.

e: separate post

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 14, 2019

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
we're considering having my fiancee's grandma officiate, she's written a lot of books and done public speaking tours and poo poo, idk if she's done this specifically before but honestly she would do a good job

i'm fairly sure her grandpa's going to die in the next month or two, so we thought this might be a good way for her to have something to take her mind off of that, if not just for a little bit. but i do think she would do a good job

we've also finally locked in our photographer :toot:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I just asked this in another thread but I figure here is a good spot too. I want to legally change my name from Stroop Middlename Oldsurname to Stroop Oldsurname Newsurname. In MA you can't change your middle name as part of the marriage process, so on that it says my name will be Stroop Middlename Newsurname. I have not changed any documentation to reflect that yet, only the marriage license reflects that.

I'm going to have to file a petition to change my name in order to change my middle name, BUT... am I supposed to put my former name on that paperwork as Stroop Middlename Oldsurname, or Stroop Middlename Newsurname?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
my gut says to wait until your marriage name change is finalized and THEN change the middle name

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Stroop There It Is posted:

I just asked this in another thread but I figure here is a good spot too. I want to legally change my name from Stroop Middlename Oldsurname to Stroop Oldsurname Newsurname. In MA you can't change your middle name as part of the marriage process, so on that it says my name will be Stroop Middlename Newsurname. I have not changed any documentation to reflect that yet, only the marriage license reflects that.

I'm going to have to file a petition to change my name in order to change my middle name, BUT... am I supposed to put my former name on that paperwork as Stroop Middlename Oldsurname, or Stroop Middlename Newsurname?

Huh when I got married in MA I "changed" my middle name (I didn't have one before marriage) as part of the marriage license stuff. Is it too late to double check?

My gut also tells me to wait for the first name change.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
This just popped up on my fb and I thought it was SUPER trashy

You could quietly cut those people out of your life and move on instead of the big public call out. Weddings bring out the best in people even a month after the fact!

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

my gut says to wait until your marriage name change is finalized and THEN change the middle name
You mean like change all my documentation to reflect the last name change, wait 'til that's all through, then do the middle name? I'm not currently waiting for anything to be finalized, haven't gotten the ball rolling yet on changing social security, driver's license etc. I'd rather not do all that twice if I can avoid it... just don't know whether I can avoid it.

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Huh when I got married in MA I "changed" my middle name (I didn't have one before marriage) as part of the marriage license stuff. Is it too late to double check?

My gut also tells me to wait for the first name change.
Aw nuts, maybe it's just Somerville then. The clerk told me they couldn't do the middle name change as part of that. I'll call them and see.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

CeramicPig posted:

This just popped up on my fb and I thought it was SUPER trashy

You could quietly cut those people out of your life and move on instead of the big public call out. Weddings bring out the best in people even a month after the fact!

If you can't afford a wedding where people don't give you gifts of cash, you can't afford that wedding. Super trashy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For those of you on the other side

How did/do you pay for child care, assuming that one of you is not a full/part time stay at home parent

I have an in law mother 45 minutes north of here who works 4 days a week. Bay area child care starts at $2400/month which is close to what we pay per month in rent

I've heard of some people paying for childcare out of their 401k, as a necessity. I don't like the idea of debt financing child care but if it's for six years as a "one time cost"...? Thoughts?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Not an answer, but the pregnancy thread is likely a better shot (there's a parenting thread but I fear judgy people)! (I can't answer because I had the stay at home option).

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I have no idea what bizarre bug caused this but I was checking my registry earlier, and apparently I'm getting 3 copies of the Golden Girls edition of Clue. Also 13 days to go!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Got married, if you have to go Catholic for some reason find yourself a Lebanese Maronite church. You get sweet crowns, the vows are literally "do you take this person to be your whatever" and it's traditional that the bride and groom enter together which I really liked. In less awesome news honeymoon is a bit hosed due to the strikes in France. We'll try again tomorrow to get on a plane.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
is there a more current recommendation for site/sites that sell lab created diamonds? gemesis in OP seems to be offline. I'm thinking I get a really nice lab created diamond in a basic ring/setting and then let my partner decide what kind of ring/setting after?

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I made little bridesmaid proposal boxes and I’m going to start handing them out tonight and throughout Christmas. They came out so cute I can’t stand it.

The crinkle paper will be the wedding colors. The headbands have different cloth/themes based on the girls’ interests. The first one happens to be really into Disney. And the sock colors are different for each box.

(Please excuse my filthy carpet. It’s my studio/ the cats have taken it over so the cleaning in that room sometimes get neglected)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
man i was just going to send a message on facebook to people

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How do you present the idea of a destination wedding to people? We want to go get married somewhere else regardless but obviously having friends and family along would be nice.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

George H.W. oval office posted:

How do you present the idea of a destination wedding to people? We want to go get married somewhere else regardless but obviously having friends and family along would be nice.

I would stress why the location is important to the two of you, and expect to be somewhat accommodating of the schedules of the people you really want there.

I'd be prepared for a bunch of "regretfully decline" responses though.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

George H.W. oval office posted:

If you've already decided you're going to do it, then just say that, don't be wishy washy about it; also give people plenty of notice about where you're planning on going and the dates.

We did a destination wedding, a few notes:

1) The wedding will end up being small, we knew it would be, invited about 50 and expected half that, which is roughly what we got.
2) If you REALLY REALLY want someone there, be prepared to offer them some assistance
3) Be prepared for folks to have opinions on your choice of destination/the fact that you are having a destination wedding, many of those opinions will not be nice and can in fact be hurtful.
4) If you want people to come for more than just the wedding have things planned
- Our wedding was in Belize, we wanted it to be a vacation for everyone, so we went for 10 days, some of our friends stayed most of the time so we rented a house that we could all fit in and planned different events like going to Mayan sites, SCUBA/Snorkeling etc etc. obviously this will be specific to what you want/where you go
5) People are loving lazy and REALLY REALLY bad at planning, it will be very helpful for you to give them concrete dates ASAP and also if you can help them by giving them rough costs for everything (flights, food etc) so they can budget/plan.
6) Remember that some folks you want to go just won't be able to; have fun and try not to sweat it.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
What things should I look for in a photographer? With a lot of them, the quality seems very same-y. Blown out highlights and the same posing/group shots.

This one was recommended to my fiance:
https://www.jlbwedding.com/2019-retrospective/

But honestly it seems slightly gimmicky with a lot of mediocre compositions that rely on photoshop filters. Am I being too picky?

Should I try to stand my ground on not hiring a videographer? I feel like it's a lot of money for something that I'll watch only a few times.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Find a photographer whose style you like, then hire that one. Keep in mind that portrait photography is completely different from wedding photography, and if you have 100+ people at the wedding they'll likely have one or two assistants taking shots at the venue, so that matters.

I'm firmly in the "no wedding video" camp. My in laws hired and gave us $$$ to pay for the wedding photographer anyways :shrug: In 9 months since the wedding we haven't looked at it besides when we first saw it. I would have gladly put that money towards our downpayment on the house or credit card bills instead.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
I would also really try to find someone whose personality you jive with. If you feel comfortable with them, you’ll get much better shots and they’re more likely to go the extra mile for you. We narrowed it down to two of comparable price and quality, both of whom we loved personally, but ultimately leaned into the one with a more journalistic/naturalistic style vs a more arranged/portrait-like quality,

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
We used these guys as we found that, of the many portfolios we looked through, theirs had a focus on candid rather than posed shots, and they said that they prefer to mingle at the event rather than being The Photographers. Because of the vibe we wanted we felt they fit really well, and they totally did mingle and get lovely, candid shots as well as some more posed ones. It depends what your priorities are in terms of posed/candid as well as the overall editing, lighting etc.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Big McHuge posted:

Should I try to stand my ground on not hiring a videographer? I feel like it's a lot of money for something that I'll watch only a few times.
Yes. Absolutely yes. You might not even watch it a few times. I mean, if your other half feels strongly, and it's worth the money for them, sacrifices and all that. But yes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Paying twice as much for an extra person taking amazing pictures would be far more worth it imo

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My brother got a videographer that agreed to do it much cheaper if videographer retained the rights to it. He made a music video and it's amazing. I've watched it a few times and I'm not even in it. Some stills ended up in some magazines, so I guess it made the dude some $$$.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Paying twice as much for an extra person taking amazing pictures would be far more worth it imo

Second photographer > videographer for sure. I used lime and Lily to save some scratch and it worked out perfectly.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t want a videographer because I don’t want to see all the unflattering angles of myself nor do I want to hear myself recorded :shrug:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Late bump here, but we hired a videographer and we were happy with the decision. That said, if we had been on a tighter budget, that's something I would have been OK with not having. We also had one really good photographer but no second photographer. For us, the videographer was a better investment than the second photographer, but if our wedding had been larger, I can see where that second photographer would matter a lot more.

I was also in a friend's wedding where they had the same deal, one photographer and one videographer. In that case, their photographer wasn't used to doing weddings (they may have been pressured to use a family friend I think?) and they ended up being much happier with their video than with their pictures. What they really needed was (at least) one good photographer, but at least the video kinda softened the blow of the photos not turning out great.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
So my mom is starting an argument that my 2 older brothers should be standing up in my wedding and I’m super not looking forward to the coming arguments. My brothers haven’t even congratulated me or acknowledged the fact that I’m engaged, they’re neutral toward my fiancé at best, I don’t want 7 people standing up, he doesn’t want them standing up on his side, the list goes on. My mom is very manipulative of me thanks to an abusive past and I’m dreading the drama this is going to start.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The best advice I've ever heard is, "this isn't your wedding, this is her wedding", and then view events through that lens

You can either be firm on this, or waffle around on it. The longer you waffle the greater the drama. If you can't be firm about it, then maybe just fold. Waffling and leaving the door open for further discussion is just going to invite drama and she's going to keep prying until you make your final decision. If it were me I'd firmly tell her that you've already picked your bridesmaids or whatever, and it's not open for discussion and tell her to drop it.

We had five people standing on either side and that was plenty, mix of family and close friends.

Other weddings it seems like anyone under 30 is allowed to stand up there. Personal preference.

Edit: maybe your brothers don't like your financé and by putting your brothers in the wedding your mom is making them support you and your future husband? It's hard to complain about the person when you stood up there at their wedding. Long shot.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 28, 2020

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Dealing with the parents is tough, I've been having issues with that as well, especially since my finance's parents are the prime financial contributors. Five weeks to the wedding, and just last week my future mother in law:

*Hired a videographer after we told her we didn't want one
*Changed the contract with the caterer so the event ends at 11 instead of midnight (and we still aren't sure why)
*Announced she was going to solicit people for speeches to give on the stage we aren't using after we explicitly told her we don't want speeches
*Keeps trying to get us to invite more guests after telling her no repeatedly the past several months

And then other minor drama related to dresses and how certain things look, etc. If I wasn't already bald I would be pulling my hair out.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

What's a polite way to tell your family members 'the guest list is up for us to decide, not you'

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
"The guest list is up for us to decide, not you."

And then ignore their input and suggestions.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
My second wedding is in three weeks and I've noticed there is very little outside input on the guest list this time. It's pretty rad being a ruined woman.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just got engaged y'all! And man, people do not give you a hot second before they start asking about wedding plans. It's been a few days now, I'm googling around and brainstorming.

It's looking like it's going to be two receptions. One in New Jersey US area, and one in Kerala India. Both are hopefully going to be SUPER CHILL events. Hoping for a September October 2020 date, hopefully that's enough time. My idea this second is to get married at a courthouse with our parents in attendance, then eat a fancy meal, then a day or so later have a reception with a ring exchange and killer buffet. Beer and wine only. No more then 75 people for the US reception. Then I'll take a nap for like 2 days and fly to India, take another few days to deflate, then a reception meet and greet and even more killer buffet. Then bum it on a houseboat in the backwaters for a bit and visit his family members.

I need to talk to the MIL about the Kerala side, their expectations and the absolute minimum of stuff I need to do, besides show up and be blonde and pretty for photos. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of stuff I don't expect. I love my MIL, she's being pretty cool about this white lady barging in and demanding her anxiety be catered to. I think she's just happy to have someone to talk about plants with :p . I'm sure we're going to have our differences and I'll be bitching in the future though. I'm a big ol anxiety baby.

I just want everyone to have a good time, get some good pictures, and eat very good food.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure which region of India but I also married into a desi family, we did a western style wedding in the states but also had a couple of Desi/Punjabi events out in Texas.

Our strategy was "we will do the desi stuff in Texas, but you guys have to plan it". This worked out ok because we flew to their city and they planned and paid for it, it was mostly an excuse for them to throw a fancy party and invite all their friends. It was different but fun.

Most of the events are smaller, like there's a women's tea hangout, another is kind of a larger family event for the community where kids/tweens/teens come sort of like a school dance called a... Mendhi?

Anyways, read up on these, you may the up doing two or more of these while you're there:

https://www.stylemepretty.com/2017/02/14/traditional-indian-wedding/