Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Woooo, just put deposit down on a 1.3 ct E SI1 excellent cut solitaire, a couple inclusions but nothing too bad...They jeweler had a 1.0ct D SI1 True Hearts solitaire that had a long inclusion in the middle, but at to the naked eye it was an amazing diamond. I still go back and forth but think I made the right choice...right? Hahahah, either way, now it's time to plan how to pop the Q. I'll have to start reading this thread in earnest but just had to get it out that I'm excited!

Also to what little I can contribute, I will say I was scared shitless to actually look at diamonds(Will I sound like an idiot? is everything a lot more expensive than I think? Will I get screwed?), but the first shop I went to really took their time to talk me through everything and I looked at 4 diamonds. Got handshake promises one 2 for about a week and the guy wrote them down on a card. I went to a 2nd shop and they ordered some in (or whatever they do) to come back and look at. Took a look at 4 today and got a great price (better than James Allen) for the one I wanted. So, I encourage getting out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

So I would go to jamesallen.com and look at settings to get and idea of price. I don't see how you could spend more than 1000 on a setting for a solitaire. I got a Tiffany 14k white gold 6 prong for $300 with the purchase of a diamond. A platinum band would be several hundred more. Again, I don't know how you hit $10k unless you pit diamonds on it.

As for what should you do....spend as much as you feel comfortable with. If you got a free diamond that's great, maybe you can spend the extra dough on some earrings or a necklace or, as said above, put some nice diamonds on either side of it.

I get what you mean, when I was checking out diamonds they guy said to me "or you can get this and save a few hundred bucks" and I'm thinking I feel dirty for trying to save money when I have a budget in mind, but in reality you need to spend money sometimes, and it could be more or less than your budget.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I went to two local jewelers with a rough price range, that is really the only thing you need to know going in. The first guy showed me like 4 diamonds around my range, explained the 4 c's etc. I told him I still needed to look around so what he did was write quotes for 2 of the diamonds on the back of a card and let me know he could hold that price over the weekend. No pressure, super informative, and no upselling. I didn't buy from them, but I liked them enough I got a watch there a few months later.

Right after that I went to another small jeweler and same thing, just started with a price. I will say when I saw my fiances diamond, it blew my socks off. Why? It was E color and hearts of fire cut. I thought the G and H Color at the first place looked good, but I really think Color and Cut are where your money should go. Next was size, she wanted a solitaire i coughed up the $ for 1.32. Clarity is last, It was either SI1 or 2, but even the imperfections right below the surface aren't noticeable.

I got the ring at the same time and held on to it set for 3 weeks. Every other day or so I'd look at the drat thing...very good looking. So that's my 2 cents!!

Oh ya I will say I looked at James Allen first, and thought i was in love with a J diamond. Once I saw an actual H and I, in was surprised vs. How it looked online, so researching in stores is good just so you have a better understanding.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 8, 2015

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I’m the best man for a wedding many states away in July. Dreading that I need to phone him up and cancel. He is an old friend and we don’t speak often enough to have felt this out together since COVID blew up. I’m a new father and I just can’t justify the risk at this time...

I mean everyone has to know it’s a complete crapshoot for like the rest of the year, right? I still feel like an rear end in a top hat...

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 11, 2020

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Thumbtacks posted:

you're the best man and you and the groom haven't talked about this because you dont talk a lot?

Yea, in retrospect Its been an awkward experience. He’s been moving around for 7 or 8 years and I’m back in the hometown. I’d see him once or twice a year but we hit that “moving on from our friendship” stage right when he called me up as his oldest friend to ask and I said yes because I thought it’d be like old times. Long story short I think we both ended up with brutally low expectations of the arrangement and never picked up our friendship, and now the one thing he told me he was hoping for (I make it out to celebrate and give a speech) I won’t be able to do.

To maybe provide some value to the thread, for the above poster asking about delaying, history has shown pandemics have a second wave, so I would think this could really have a wave in Fall/Winter that will put people on edge into Spring of 2021.If you were more or less ok with a long delay, I think Fall ‘21 would be when we’d start to see some major jumps on overall “life back to normal”.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 11, 2020