Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

opie posted:

We got married September 9, the weekend after labor day. I think we managed to get the best weather of the year as well. My parents live in Lincoln City and usually it's cold, windy, and rainy. But that day I think it hit 90 and it was just windy enough to blow my veil off a couple times. It's a little hard to hear anything over the ocean, but we had a really short ceremony so it wasn't hard to follow along.

If you get married around that time maybe we'll run into you, because I'd really like to go back for our anniversary. We were kind of too busy to really enjoy the awesome room we had, and didn't stay for a honeymoon or anything. My husband's parents drove up and down the coast, and did a bunch of things I've never done even though I lived there for years, like watched whales and stuff. They're from Chicago and said they never would've thought to go to Oregon, and wished they had more time to see stuff.

I have actually stayed at that hotel for a history conference. It was neat as a poor undergrad to have a room overlooking the ocean for free, but in retrospect, it was kind of a dumpy hotel. Like opie said, the weather is generally wretched since it is on the cost and the ocean is really loud (and kind of smelly). Plus there was a bonus of a dying seal cub on the beach! The food I ate there wasn't great, the service was only okay (that could be completely related to the 300 or so history students in the hotel), and the suites were kind of ugly and thrown-together looking. If you want a beach wedding in that part of the world I would recommend perhaps some of the beaches in the Puget Sound area or along the Columbia river since they are a little further inland and away the ever-looming storms. Or at least find a beach with a covered area in case of bad weather. I've always wanted a wedding on a beach, but I just don't think it works all to well in the Pacific NW.
I don't mean to bring you down, this is just what I observed from my stay. I was there in April 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

vanessa posted:

Please don't think that you "have" to give a present of a certain monetary value simply because you are an honor attendant.

When choosing a gift, give something that stays within your budget, that will be meaningful for you and that will make the couple think of you (in a good way).

My sister is making me and my fiance a quilt. Heck yeah it's only going to cost her $20 or less to make, but every time we see that quilt, we'll think of her and how hard she worked to create something to start our home with.

I was a bridesmaid this summer and I decided to make the bride a veil. She had been complaining that veils cost way too much (and they do- holy poo poo!). It cost me less than $10, but I didn't have a lot of money to spend, especially after buying airline tickets to and from the wedding. It was really easy to make and there are a lot of how-to guides out in the internet void.

Click here for the full 540x720 image.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

cranberry juice posted:

Does anyone know if this veil has a specific name? Do you think I could find something like this on etsy?
http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/photo/150872

I don't know if I am missing something, but that looks like a fairly standard elbow-length veil to me. You could definitely find a seller on Etsy, but they are pretty easy to make too.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

Leanbeef posted:

Hey everyone, just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone who has posted here. My wife and I got married in October (I know, it was forever ago) and while I never posted, we both spent a lot of time in this thread looking over this thread and deciding what exactly we wanted to do. There's some pictures of our wedding here if anyone's interested.

I really like the photography and you guys are adorable! What style did you ask for them to be done in? I want our photos done like that - vintage, faded, overexposed, but I'm not really sure what to ask for.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!
I'm having trouble finding a dress that I am absolutely in love with (and I can feasibly afford) and I started thinking about hiring a dressmaker. I'm also incredibly petite and I worry that most commercially made dresses will require more tailoring than possible. Does anyone know how to go about finding a quality dressmaker? I live near a major metropolitan area... do I just start cold-calling boutiques or tailors?

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

gninjagnome posted:

My wife just googled for custom wedding dress and found someone. She's also petite, and didn't want a white gown. I think she ended up finding someone that made dress for ren-faires that was willing to work with her to make what she wanted. Here's what she ended up getting:

It was pricy though (if I recall correctly around $1500), but she dictated more or less everything about the dress down to the pattern of the embroidery. She tells me if your willing to give the dressmaker more leeway in choices, the price could come down.

Edit: My wife just mentioned that you could theoretically look on Etsy for someone. She's bought custom fit shirts from stores there, not a lot of experience with dresses though. If nothing else, it was a good place to buy accessories for cheap (we got silk boutineers and her veil through them).
Thank you for the help. I've looked a bit through Etsy, but I will keep searching. By the way, your wife's dress is very beautiful.

gogogiraffes posted:

Not sure how you feel. My chiropractor ordered hers from some website. She told them everything she wanted. Included a few dress pictures. And they made it to her size. She's small, and they altered her bodice and everything. She said it was like 300 dollars.

I think something like that would be okay if I could find a site that didn't look like it was designed in 1998.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

At the same time, I think OBB is plagued by this seeming desire to talk about how cute every fat couple's offbeat wedding is. For every genuinely charming and interesting offbeat wedding, there's twenty hambeasts having a Wiccan wedding with a steampunk twist and OH GOD LOOK HOW CUTE THEY ARE. It's gotten to the point that a hell of a lot of their offbeat stuff is repeats of other offbeat stuff and it really doesn't seem like they have a filter between "offbeat" and "retarded with no taste".

At one point in time, OBB seemed to be doing something different and cool that other sites were not. Now, its just a bunch of hambeast couples proclaiming to be "offbeat" when the bride wears a rainbow petticoat with some sort of videogame themed cake.

Some of the blogs I really enjoy are:
http://greenweddingshoes.com/
http://www.100layercake.com/blog/
http://www.thesweetestoccasion.com/ - parties in general
http://www.designsponge.com/ - cool DIY stuff
http://ruffledblog.com/
http://www.snippetandink.com/ - just to look at and dream

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

Tigntink posted:

I have a bit of a peeve. Why the hell are 2/3 sets of photos using greased lens look? It does not look good, it does not look vintage, it does not look whimsical. I loved all those blogs that just got linked but by the time I was done giving them a quick perusal I thought I was going blind since everything looked faded.

I like the aesthetic of the fade. Some of them are a little too dramatic, but I think it gives the photos a warmer, softer feel. To each his own.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

zamiel posted:

He made me wait until a year out to start any planning and now every place I call is taken for our date and I'm too weird about numbers to change it, so I'm having a panic attack to the point I'm all "you're just going to put things off until it's too late our whole life and I'll end up squeezing out a baby on the toilet cuz you think it's just a poo!" This should not be like pulling teeth, ugh.

Our date was taken and it was the only date taken for the entire two months surrounding it, so we just pushed it back a week. Things don't always go your way when planning a wedding, its best to get over it now, and just go with the flow. Or freak out. It's up to you how hard you want wedding planning to be.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

zamiel posted:

There was no flexibility in the date. It was set not long after the engagement 11 months ago. He's known I have issues with harsh numbers for over 8 years, so 10/20/2012 being such a nice, round and even date was perfect for us, and no other date next year fit. Plus, we wanted to change the date from being a horrible day for us when we had to face the reality that our son died in utero and wouldn't be born that day to being a happy day to remember. but instead, I've decided to just cancel the whole thing. Thought if anywhere people would get how oh men can be such ninnies and not understand the time sensitive nature of wedding planning, here's some tips on finding more venues or something, but nope I got blammed.

Jeez... Google wedding venues in your area? There are tons of resources all over the internet. To me, the date does not matter, but if it is the most important thing to you, then... find alternatives and make it work? I do stick with my original sentiment though, wedding planning isn't going to always go to plan - dates don't work for guests, caterers are unavailable, can't find a florist in your price range, etc. It's best to pick out the most important thing (marrying the love of your life for instance?) and move on.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!
You're wedding looks like it was wonderful! I want to know, where did you get your wedding band?

dopaMEAN posted:

Our wedding bands on a bit of an invite:

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!
The thought of asking my bridesmaids to pay for a flight and a hotel and extraneous costs just to be a part of my wedding, really makes me uncomfortable. So for my gals, I gave them a $50 gift certificate to Anthropologie and told them to find a nice sun dress. One girl found hers on sale and even wore it to Thanksgiving dinner. I don't care that they wont match, but I know that they will be there by my side and will also wear their dresses again.

My good friend made me where some gaudy "watermelon" pink dress for her wedding. She thought it was the most lovely dress and that I would definitely wear again; it hasn't seen the light of day since I got home. I'm actually thinking about sending it to this program: http://www.newlymaid.com
or donating it to Cinderella's Closet.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

Betazoid posted:

$1k for literally a dinner seems just insane. Our wedding budget is $11k, which includes the photographer, dress, dinner, DJ, booze, and EVERYTHING. So spending about a tenth of that on one dinner just sucks.

I think $1000 for 30-40 people sounds pretty reasonable, actually. We are doing ours at a lounge that serves seasonal "pub" food for about $20/ person. But this is in a backwater city, thus a little cheaper than standard.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

Toriori posted:

So any ideas for practical table centerpieces? I'm not planning on using a florist for my wedding and I'm not seeing the point and buying and putting together all the centerpieces that serve no purpose afterwards. I was thinking of making bottles of wine for the favours and we are at a very outdoorsy location so maybe the bottles of wine in the center with just some natural garnish?

Also, maybe little bags of kettle corn for the kids? Something yummy.

We saved a bunch of jars (starbucks fraps, sauce, jelly, beer, etc) and now I am going to spray paint them. My mom also made some cake plates for cupcakes, so we are putting a cake plate with a few cupcakes and the jars with a few flower stems on each table.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

Toriori posted:

What's the most dignified way to say "we want money for the honeymoon and not gifts?" I've seen "presentation preferred" and "it is requested there be no boxed gifts at the wedding" but I want to get some opinions on what sounds best.

On our website we just preface it with "we have been together for over six years, so we already have most of the things we need to make a home together. In lieu of a wedding gift, if you would like to help us take our dream honeymoon, we have set up a honey fund: (paypal account)
If you would like to get us a gift, we are registered at Bed, Bath and Beyond."

This isn't a formal wedding and no one in my or his family is so traditional that this is offensive.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

anaaki posted:

2) My fiance wants to do a coney dog bar. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. It seems the easiest way to feed a large crowd. However, didn't know if this would be "tacky" or if I could pull it off in a gourmet/classy kind of way.

We're having a food truck that serves gourmet hamburgers and fries. They are super good and only 8.50/ person. We're also pretty non-traditional, but I think stuff like this is what makes weddings more fun. Who wants another dried out piece of chicken or fish? Since you are into the DIY thing, I think a DIY hotdog stand sounds really cool. Additionally, its a summer wedding, so it is appropriately themed. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

signalnoise posted:

So what about tablescapes? I'm currently seeing tablescapes as a kind of unnecessary detail. Or is there a way to make some tablescapes on the cheap?

I don't think you have to drop a chunk of change on it, but they are nice to do. We bought a bunch of glass plates and candle sticks at the dollar store and glued them together to make cake plates then saved a bunch of jars over the year and spray painted them all. Then we scouted goodwills and value villages for table clothes. We also used a bunch of my parents, grandparents, and great grandparents silverware. My aunt made table napkins from quilting scraps. We also used my aunts canning jars and some twee straws I found at the party store to serve beverages. And we ordered loose flowers from the florists to put in the spray painted jars. The florist charged like $100 for all the loose flowers and we spent less than $100 on spray paint and dollar store pieces. Plus we let all the guests take anything they wanted and recycled what they didn't.

We haven't gotten all the photos from the wedding developed, so here are a few from our friends: