Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ophiolite
Jun 14, 2007

Rock star
For my wedding invitations, my mom found someone on Ebay that would design/print them for you for a very reasonable price. It worked for me! Then again, I had zero time or interest in doing it myself...grad school! :argh:

Also, I found doing my wedding on a holiday weekend was the best way to ensure both of our families were available. Plus it was at the end of my Spring Break and the beginning of my sister's, so no college obligations were compromised. I got married the day before Easter last year and only had one decline...it seems like my husband's aunt's Elks club dinner was more important :sigh: I was back in school on Monday...

ophiolite fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ophiolite
Jun 14, 2007

Rock star

sheri posted:

I'm getting married in May, and we're trying to figure out what to give as gifts to our bridesmaids and groomsmen.

Anyone have any great idea? I've looked at all the wedding party gifts sites that give suggestions, but I generally think they all suck.

Thanks.

I did something different...

I found an old newspaper clipping that had a picture of me and my maid of honor (and only bridesmaid) as 6 year olds. My father took it to a person specializing in restoration and restored the picture and framed a copy for her. An alternative was going to be a three fold picture frame with one picture of us when we were little next to a picture of us at my wedding and the third picture of us at her wedding.

Another thing my Mom did for all of the "girls in my life" that helped out with the wedding was buy nice pendants on Ebay and bought nice chains to go with them. I know for a fact one of my friends wears it nearly everyday!

I'm completely for functionality and sentiment over price...

ophiolite
Jun 14, 2007

Rock star

IanCaw posted:

I hate to post with another "What are your experiences?" type question, but, I'm not sure a better way to word this:

How many of you asked your SO's father (or had your father asked, in the other direction) for "permission" to get engaged? My s.o.'s family is incredibly close-knit (mine is reasonably close, but nowhere near the same level) and it really seems like while I could get away with not asking the parents' permission, it would be much smarter in the long term if I do ask.

Is it worth asking permission in today's world if it seems like the right thing to do?

My father was actually really disappointed my husband didn't ask him for permission, and we were far from a southern family. He's come around, but I think it still sort of upset he wasn't up front with him with his intentions beforehand.

My theory is that it can't hurt. Yes, super-traditional, but the only one it could rub the wrong way is your girlfriend if she is highly independent and doesn't like traditional stuff like that. It will definitely make you a stronger person in dealing with tough situations :)