Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
^^^A lot of people want to be more financially stable and be able to have a nice wedding, so it makes sense to me.

Thanks for posting those forums; they're really hilarious. One girl posted something along the lines of "I know a girl who turned down an engagement because the rock was too small. I think that's totally shallow. I mean, I'd only turn it down if the ring was totally ugly, because if he doesn't know my jewelry tastes he doesn't know me at all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I don't see the problem with a long engagement, really. Our date is in October 2012, but we're not telling anyone except close friends about it for a couple of years. It's not that I'm not ready to get married (I already live with him and mainly think of it as the same but with different tax forms), but my mom really disapproves of marriage at a young age, so I want to be at least a little bit older to make her happy. Not only that, but we'll hopefully have enough money to so something a little nice by then.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Endor posted:

But you at least have a date in mind, which tends to work a lot better than "We're engaged but we aren't even thinking about planning a wedding".
Oh, that makes sense. I imagine that wouldn't work out too well.

The only downside to a long engagement with an end in sight is that I've been really excited about planning for the past six months but it's way too soon to do anything. :(

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
This is very un-romantic, but how does marriage affect your taxes? I'll provide backstory if wanted, but the tl;dr version is that it's looking like the only way for my boyfriend to live off campus is to marry me (we're engaged anyway), but I'm worried about his financial aid. Is it possible to be married and dependent on your parents (we make under $3,000 a year combined if that helps)? I'm checking with google, but I wanted to know if there are any highly-recommended sites for this kind of information.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Thanks for the replies. I might have to suck it up and live on campus with him. His mom is a professor at another university and gets tuition exchange, but he wouldn't be able to if he wasn't a dependent. Sigh. :(

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
My date isn't until 2012, but I've been looking at dresses anyway. I want a big ridiculous ball gown, and I figured I can sew on the neckline I want, but I can't do much more than that. I found a few that were okay, and then I stumbled on this site (that's just one of them; for some reason there's a "Princess" section and a "Fairytale Princess" section on the site, and these are only under the regular one). I love them all. They're so perfect.

How do you make time go faster?

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Shmee! posted:

Is all of this really necessary?
I agree. I do want a big princessy dress (I mean, really princessy) but I'd rather have a cheap, fun party than a boring formal affair. I can maybe imagine spending $2,000 (like an expensive party), but more than that is just too much for me to consider. Even at the risk of looking tacky, I'd rather make a down payment on a house.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I didn't have any trouble with the pictures. Maybe it's a browser problem? I have Firefox.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Our date is in 2012, but I love planning ahead. We'd really rather save money, but the one thing that we've kept in mind was going on a cruise for ten days or so. After a lot of budgeting, we thought it might be fun to either elope and then cruise or get married on a cruise (with live webcam; apparently this is comon in weddings on cruise ships) with our parents and one best friend each in tow. This is a lot cheaper than a wedding, but still not cheap by our standards (we're poor; thus the date). So, some questions:

1. What should I tell my (huge) family when I announce it? Honestly, I'd have been planning a ceremony far away so that most of them wouldn't come but would still send gifts (like you're not thinking it too), but should I send them a save-the-date cards a long way in advance and then say we've changed our plans, or what?

2. Has anyone done anything like that on a cruise ship? We're from the US and thinking about cruising in Scandanavia, so I don't know what the legal implications are. The romance packages on most ships are chocolate-covered strawberries and champagne (not worth paying extra for), and the on-board weddings seem pretty pricey, too.

3. Is it expected to pay for the guests, or to have them pay for themselves?

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

McDougirl posted:

I would tell them that you are planning on getting married on a cruise ship, and are just going to do something very, very small. Telling them to save the date when you know you aren't going to invite them seems really rude.

If you're that concerned about gifts, you could just send out announcements after the fact, and then cross your fingers. Or, you could consider holding a low-key reception after the fact.

Just out of curiosity, why no invite everyone on the cruise?
The only reason I thought of sending a save the date was that I was thinking about using live video footage. I realize it seems rude, but it's kind of like sending graduation invitations in my mind: the biggest people in my life will want to be there, and everyone else would rather save the cost of attending and send a card. I'd rather have a really fun time with a very tiny group, and that's all I can afford.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

amethystbliss posted:

If anyone has any questions about eloping, feel free to ask!
Yes! I think everyone here thought I was terrible for basically wanting to get married away from my family, but I guess I just hadn't thought of it as eloping. :shobon: How exactly did you ask your family members to write you letters? Did you send out a letter? How did you phrase it? My family is just so huge and I can't imagine spending so much money on a party (even if a lot of them wouldn't come because of distance), but I want them to know they're important to me.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Thank you! That was really helpful. I won't be able to invite them to a future party, but it's nice to know that there's a way to phrase that that won't hurt anyone. :) Congratulations!

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Juniper posted:

Then there's the question of what you do when you have kids- whose last name do they get? If they get his, but I'm the one picking them up from school, does that cause problems? We had briefly discussed taking each others' last names as middle names, but that doesn't seem all that helpful. So, can anyone offer a suggestion that makes sense? We're in the US, and neither of us knows anybody in the same situation who didn't automatically go to the man's last name. Thanks!
I was raised solely by my mother and have my father's last name. The only time it was a problem was when I was getting a passport when I was 14, because my local government branch was stupid as poo poo and didn't think my birth certificate was enough. The only other thing I can think of was that my mom got really annoyed at being called Mrs. Dad'slastname, so you'll probably get that a lot.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
If she loves green and isn't very materialistic at all, would she be opposed to fake? The emerald is my birthstone and I wanted emeralds forever. My family owns a jewelry store and my mom warned against emeralds since they're kind of brittle, but she got me tiny emerald earrings a couple of years ago. She also got me tiny chrome diopside earrings at the same time. The emeralds were cloudy and ugly and the chrome diopside was bright and pretty (and way cheaper). I also have one in my necklace and it's lovely.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

FidgetyRat posted:

Where do you get that constant retreating thing from? I've had white gold for ages that has never yellowed a bit.
This. My silver necklace (often tarnished) was replaced with white gold. I haven't polished it in at least two years and, while duller, it doesn't look at all like the silver did after a couple of months. White gold is awesome.

Zaftig fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 23, 2009

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Congratulations!

Friendly Geek, your pictures made me really :3:. My boyfriend and I already feel like we're married (we've been living together for about a year) and I'm waiting for him to officially propose. We already know how and when we're getting married, but he knows I like a lot of spectacle and attention so he apparently has something planned. I'm excited!

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

l_th posted:

But what’s really driving me insane are Honeymoon ideas, I’m already in the Caribbean so I’d like a change in pace. Was thinking of maybe a cruise or Vegas for a week?

Maybe its time and for an Ask/Tell Honeymoon Thread
This thread gets way more traffic than a honeymoon thread would.

I'm having the same problem you are. I'm from the Caribbean so I don't want an island, or heat of any sort, really. We're looking into cruises in Northern Europe (since everything in the south is like "Hey Spain! Beaches!") and while they're more sparse and pricey, they seem pretty neat. I've been on a cruise to Alaska and that was really pretty (and not the Caribbean).

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Gravitee posted:

What time of year are you all thinking about going on a honeymoon? That might narrow down your choices a bit.
We're getting married on 12/12/12, so we'll probably wait until it's warmer somewhere else.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

ih8ualot posted:

Any particular reason why you're waiting three years? I've never heard of anybody planning a wedding that far in advance. Is it just for the date novelty? Why not 10/10/10?
Because we just finished college and we're poor. Also we think it would be fun to get married on the day the world ends.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Guy LeDouche posted:

Anybody have any thoughts/experiences with portside weddings? We are considering getting a package through Carnival or one of the other cruise lines. Carnival has a package where we get married and have a luncheon reception, then the new wife and I (plus anyone else who would want to come) would ship out for 4 or 7 days.

Right now its our favorite idea, but my mother only brought it up yesterday. We still really love Balboa Park in San Diego if the ship idea doesn't pan out.
Looking at the "worst vacations" thread in Tourism and Travel has some pretty negative reactions to Carnival Cruises. I would read up on some reviews first.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I'm 21 and he's 22. We started dating when we were 19. We're holding off from telling people and our date is in 2012 because I'm sure we'll get poo poo for being young no matter what, but at least it'll be a little better then. We're planning on buying a house within the next two years and plan on kids in about six or seven. It's one of those "when you know, you know" things, but I'd just like to lessen the morality brigade.

For reference on why we're waiting, I mentioned to peers that I was researching schools in the areas we're looking for houses because, while schools may change, it's good to know what's in the area. One girl freaked out and scolded me for even daring to think about children in the slightest before I'm 30 and have a master's degree. You know, because everyone has the same goals in life.

Abbeh posted:

Oh, and he proposed with an iPod touch (I'd wanted one but didn't want to buy it when I had an ok iPod already - even if he did scratch it by dropping it in the driveway...) Good thing I hate wearing rings, and I always have my "engagement pod" on me to show off.
That is so awesome.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I have an idea of when I want to start having kids, so that question never bothered me...unless someone my age asked and then immediately got up my rear end about it. They also get uppity about getting married, buying a house, and doing anything that isn't completely focusing on my career, though, so whatever. My conservative grandma is more accepting of my life choices than my peers are.

I just joined the Offbeat Bride board (I remember someone here linked to the blog a while ago and I ate it up and wanted more) and it's pretty good so far. Everyone's really active and there's a lot of advice. I thought the people on The Knot were kind of freakish and scary, so it's nice to see inspiration and planning ideas from normal people. It does weird me out that everyone's so nice- like, absolutely no criticism nice. I guess I'm just used to SA.

e: Oh, my mom has a weird thing about kids. She wants grandkids really badly, but I'm also only 21, so if the subject comes up, she says, "Oh, I can't wait for you to have my twins BUT NOT YET. They're going to be adorable BUT NOT YET. I'll move closer to you so I can babysit and you can have time off BUT NOT YET."

Zaftig fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 28, 2009

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Juniper posted:

That is a beautiful ring. I like sparklies but I can't stand having anything jutting out, and that looks like it achieves both very nicely.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Nione posted:

The problem is that he has long thin fingers and giant knuckles. Any ring that is big enough to fit over the knuckle on his ring finger is way too big when he gets it on.
Butter or Windex. You'd be really surprised what you can fit in a ring.

e: My family owns a jewelry store and we had a lot of women jamming too-small rings on their fingers and then freaking out when they wouldn't come off. We didn't have butter in the store but found Windex is surprisingly effective.

Zaftig fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 4, 2009

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
What's your price range? Cruises in the Caribbean are pretty cheap (for cruises), so tickets to Florida would be your big thing. I lived in St. Croix for seven years so I can give you advice for there, but I'm no use for anywhere else. :shobon:

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Offbeat Bride was mentioned earlier in here, and I love it. There's more than just the featured content in the forums (you have to register to read and the registration form looks imposing, but the information there is used for your profile; I guess they just wanted more complete profiles). I didn't like wedding traditions and this made me feel a lot better. A lot of people on there are loving nuts and have horrible tastes/family/issues/everything but there's a lot of good sources on there.

I guess I've been there too much because seeing a question on whether white is mandatory seems silly at this point. :shobon:

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
It'll be fine! Maybe following up with them this week will help get their attention, but I'm sure you'll find someone.

I'm feeling really laid back about the whole thing and I'm wondering if it'll change once I'm closer to go time. The wedding is in October but I'm moving in April so the wedding is just kind of in the back of my mind. Plus it's a backyard affair and maybe that's just less stressful overall.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
My engagement/wedding rings (same for us) are free; my grandma is a jeweler, and she's making them for us. :)

Okay, I can't figure this out. We'll be living in California when our date comes, but we're getting married in North Carolina. How on earth do I do the paperwork? I know people get married in different states all the time, but everything I can find seems to suggest that you have to visit the state a month or two in advance just to apply. There must be an easier way.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
That link is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! I could find bits and pieces and thought it might be okay to get a license the day before or something, but I wasn't sure.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
This is so cool. I would totally Photoshop our faces into something now if I didn't already have something planned.

Ignore the date (it was an early draft; we're actually doing it this October for lots of reasons), but I'm doing an invite post card and this is the front:

It's a backyard BBQ and people are going to say stuff about us having a low budget anyway, so I figured I might as well put dinosaurs everywhere.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Speaking of Helzberg, this ad just spawned an angry thread on Offbeat Bride (where everyone is very, very PC):

Nothin' says love like a roofie and a ring.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Abbeh posted:

(or go with my idea of having a Godzilla at every table)
Do this! My venue is a dingy movie theater and I won't have tables (aww yeah, horrified relatives), so I'm living vicariously through other peoples' table decor.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
My fiance asked his dad for a list of friends he would like to invite. The idea was to go over the list and see how many of them we actually wanted to invite (some of his dad's friends are a bit weird). When his dad emailed us the list, however, he CC'd the entire list of people. When we told him that that was a bit awkward because now we have to invite all of them, he said, "Oh, no you don't. They won't care. And it's not like some of them will come anyway! They'll just send you presents!"

For his mom's list, we specifically asked her to put the list in the body of the email.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
All this talk of rings makes me very happy about my situation. My grandma runs a jewelry company and we don't want stones, so when we were visiting her, she brought us to the workshop, measured us, had us pick a band thickness, and done. The rings are free, and not many people can say that their grandma made their wedding rings. :3:

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Bewildrbeast posted:

So, my goonfella and I are engaged and I have NO idea where to start wedding planning. Any ideas for what to plan first? Sorry if this has already been asked, but it's a big ol' thread.
Congratulations! Goon love really is the best love. :)

I'd recommend reading here to get a lot of the basics. I tried reading other wedding websites and they all just made me feel bad about being poor.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Yeah man, because there's not a recession on and everybody wants fine china.

Lorne, a lot of people will give you flak for using a cash registry. I think it's a seriously stupid thing to consider tacky (I don't understand why mentioning a registry is tacky at all, actually; you give people presents at parties, no matter the occasion, so I don't know why a wedding should be different), but some people are really up their asses about wedding poo poo. Honeymoon registries have less of a stigma if you want to go for that (Honeyfund is a good one and it's free). I personally just registered on Amazon for a lot of things I could really use (I put on some plates and other traditional things, but I also registered for stuff I need for my dog), if you want to go that route.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Bewildrbeast posted:

So, serious post-wedding question I guess; is it wildly important to have a lot of savings or something before getting married? Is it generally expected to immediately buy a house after gettin' hitched?
Not in this economy, I'd hope. We'll be living our glamorous post-wedding life in the same low-cost apartment with the same roommate. These days, most people in their twenties have massive college loans to pay back, and I don't think anyone's going to pressure them to buy something even bigger to pay back.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Sneaky Monkey posted:

(Zaftig, since I think I remember reading you're getting married in Asheville too, it's called the Fun Depot. $20 for one game of laser tag, one go-kart ride, 3 choices of mini-games like minigolf and bumper cars, and $10 of game tokens)
Oh man, that sounds awesome. I think we're doing a joint party. We were thinking of renting a chick flick and getting a stripper.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Sneaky Monkey posted:

Hehe, it was! We actually went back AFTER the wedding (morning ceremony, and they're open until 11) with all our younger friends and family still in town. It was an absolute blast. I will warn you, the place has Bible verses everywhere, which is trippy (and hilarious when the bachelor party found out!) but the only thing they enforce is no cussing around any kids. Also, 2-story laser tag with 20 friends is the best laser tag.

Sounds like fun! Are you talking good chick flick or MST3K worthy chick flick?
That does sound like the best laser tag. I think I went there when I was fifteen with my cousins, but we never did the awesome laser tag thing. Maybe I can convince our friends to do that with us as well. Maybe that and then some sweet, sweet awful movies. What would the most MST3K chick flick be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

FISHMANPET posted:

$62/head
Prices vary by region, but that seems really, really expensive. How much is "some" alcohol? I'm going the super cheap route because I'm poor, but I saw fancier meals going for $30/head. Shop around.