Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
I somehow managed to plan my wedding last year for around $6k. I had and still have no idea about wedding traditions and any of that junk, so I kept it really simple. We had a pretty casual ceremony and reception for 40 family members at this hotel on the beach. No bar, no dj, just the beach and lunch. The groom and I got dressed up and my dad walked me down the aisle, but we didn't have a wedding party.

Since it was so casual, I didn't really worry about much, except my in-laws. I picked a location close to my own family, and I thought they wanted us to have a formal Catholic wedding, but they had a great time. If I could do it again, I don't think I'd change a thing.

If we had invited our friends, I think things would've been a lot more stressful. I basically did it for my family (my husband is only close to his parents and brother), and I think it was worth it. My dad's family was all weepy because I used my late grandma's rings. They're not particularly spectacular, but I'd rather have something sentimental than flashy.

Other things I didn't pay for include the cake (cousin's a pastry chef), the photographer (I didn't want one but my mom did), and the chairs and archway my mom rented for the ceremony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opie
Nov 28, 2000

Incongruous posted:

Wow, that's where my fiance and I are looking at for our wedding! We're actually going to check it out sometime this spring. What time of the year did you get married? Unfortunately, all my family and his family are from out of state, which makes things a bit more expensive, but we're selling this wedding as an Oregon vacation to our families so that they'll be more willing to shell out for hotel rooms. Anyway, I can't imagine a wedding more lovely than one with the ocean in the background - who needs ornate flowers and crystal anyway?
We got married September 9, the weekend after labor day. I think we managed to get the best weather of the year as well. My parents live in Lincoln City and usually it's cold, windy, and rainy. But that day I think it hit 90 and it was just windy enough to blow my veil off a couple times. It's a little hard to hear anything over the ocean, but we had a really short ceremony so it wasn't hard to follow along.

If you get married around that time maybe we'll run into you, because I'd really like to go back for our anniversary. We were kind of too busy to really enjoy the awesome room we had, and didn't stay for a honeymoon or anything. My husband's parents drove up and down the coast, and did a bunch of things I've never done even though I lived there for years, like watched whales and stuff. They're from Chicago and said they never would've thought to go to Oregon, and wished they had more time to see stuff.

opie
Nov 28, 2000

Queen of Roses posted:

You guys are getting married and your parents haven't met yet? :psyduck:
Our parents hadn't met until the dinner before the wedding, and it was just my parents and brother and his parents, brother, and brother's friend. It was fine, except my dad ordered two fancy bottles of champagne ahead of time and none of them drank. I ended up drinking a lot more than I wanted to so it wouldn't go to waste.

After that, all my family kind of got in the way of them talking much. It was good that we had the more intimate dinner.

opie
Nov 28, 2000

chachu posted:

It seems weird to be like "Our wedding is [date], and we're registered at Target, so BUY US SOMETHIN' OR GIVE US MONEY."
We were kind of in the same boat - we're in the process of moving and already have two of everything. We just didn't register anywhere. If people asked, I (or my mom) said we didn't want anything, and they were the ones to bring up gift cards. Aside from a couple things, we only got the gift cards and money.

It might have helped that we got married across the country, and would've had to ship everything back home.