Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
There's a lot of advice out there for engagement rings, but I'm actually struggling more with picking out wedding bands! Any advice?

Also, how important is a photographer? We're both grad students, so the prices for the full ceremony plus reception are a little difficult to afford on our budget. I'm thinking of maybe hiring one just for the ceremony and then asking my wedding party to take photos during the reception, or else just asking my wedding party to handle it wholesale. Is that a terrible idea?

untzthatshit posted:

At this point I just want to forfeit the deposits and go elope.

Ahh, I can definitely empathize. Had a huge fight with my mom over inviting extended family I haven't spoken to in over a decade. Sorry you're dealing with all that bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

asur posted:

I would definitely not ask the wedding party to handle photos during the wedding as they're in it and not in a position to take photos. Asking any guest to do it is pretty much gambling on having good photos. The same applies to the reception but those photos are probably less important to you.

:doh: Right, good point. Thanks!

DogoDogo posted:

Personally photos are one thing I would not skimp on. Ymmv, but you can tell a difference between high and low quality (you really do get what you pay for) and it’s the one thing you get to keep forever. If money is an object, maybe reach out to your local college or community college and see if there’s a photography student looking to build their portfolio?

True. Thanks for the advice.

It turns out my man of honor's boyfriend used to study photography, so we're considering hiring him for the ceremony. Hopefully this works out (and doesn't cost us more than the catering, like some of the other options around here :stonklol:)

Thumbtacks posted:

I knew when I was looking for mine that I didn’t want a gold one so I actually found the one I wanted on manlybands.com. If you ignore the pandering and the insane ring names (which are extremely funny to read) it’s surprisingly affordable and had some nice options. I got one with tungsten and wood and I’m very happy with it.

I made it one line into the description of 'the baller' and I don't think I can do it. Thank you though!

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

DogoDogo posted:

What in particular is tripping you up about the band search? Materials, style, price? Just not seeing anything you like? That might help us advise you better.

I have no idea where to even start with the bands. My fiance and I talked briefly about the looks of different materials, but we didn't figure anything out. I've browsed jewelers online but nothing's jumped out to me-- everything looks so similar, so how can I tell what I like? Part of me feels like the rings themselves should have as much emotional significance as our engagement rings did, too, but I know they will after he and I pick them out together so maybe that's dumb.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Wedding planning update:
-Venues for ceremony and reception both booked, deposits put down
-Cake tasting done, bakery secured, inspiration pics for decorations sent
-Guest list (mostly) nailed down, unofficial save the dates distributed to family and mutual friends

Also I ordered wedding clothes for our cats. The invitations are going to be incredible :hai:

Our reception venue has caterers they work with that have some really nice options, so next up we'll be talking to them :toot:

DogoDogo posted:

What is your engagement ring like? Any cues you can take from that? For example, my engagement ring is vintage from a certain era and has milgrain details (those little tiny dots), so both my husband I found bands from the same time period and also had some milgrain details, so it all feels like a set, even though it’s actually three different metals (mine are white gold e-ring and platinum band, his band is yellow gold.)

That's a really good idea, thank you!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So what was the big deal? The frog was wearing a hat?

EDIT: Wrong thread

:lmao:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Question: Is it okay to open wedding gifts early? Originally we were going to wait, but we're about two weeks out and our dining room has been lost to the mountain of boxes...

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

DogoDogo posted:

Omg absolutely yes

Hadlock posted:

You won't have time to write thank you notes later, open them now

Thanks. Going to start opening stuff to put it away before people arrive this week.

5 days...!

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Besides, if you open all the gifts before the wedding, you know who you don't have to bother saying hi to at the reception.

It turns out this is gonna be tough since no one thought to send a note :v:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Traxus IV posted:

So we've been engaged for three weeks and have done zero wedding planning, no idea what we want on almost any level. We hit up a little wedding expo thing in our area to get some ideas and literally everyone we talked to wanted to know the date before almost anything else, some got really dismissive when we didn't have one which like I get because they're there to make connections that will lead to making money and not to chat with an apparently totally unprepared couple, but jeez. It made us feel pretty lovely!

Where the gently caress do you even start with all this stuff? We're completely out of our depth and lack any wedding knowledge at all. Are the links in the OP still decent for info? (if it makes any difference we're a lesbian couple)

DogoDogo's advice is good. I'd also sit down with your fiance and work out a rough timeline. My fiance and I were engaged for two years and only started wedding planning once we decided it was a convenient (and safe) time to have the wedding. You don't need to figure everything out right now unless you're planning on getting married imminently.

As for any differences as a lesbian couple, I would just warn you to potentially expect some frustratingly heteronormative assumptions and paperwork from your vendors.

Congratulations by the way!! :glomp:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Thanks for all the help, thread. My husband and I are now happily married :toot:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Now that I'm married, where are some places I should be updating my marital status? Neither of us changed our names, and we're both US citizens living in the US. I've already updated my tax filing status with my employer.

silvergoose posted:

Had to look up to make sure you weren't the same person asking basic starting out questions, because that would have been a quick elopement!

Yup, just me and my lesbian husband :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

untzthatshit posted:

Anyone got any insight/advice on suits for groom/groomsmen? Trying to figure it all out online is a little overwhelming but I also can't stand Men's Wearhouse and looking at a Jos A Bank in my area they have terrible reviews specifically for dealing with wedding stuff. I'm not opposed to setting up a consultation or something somewhere just not sure where to go.

The local bridal shop I got my dress from also does fittings and orders for suits, and they took good care of my husband. It's not something they advertised at all, they just brought it up when I asked for suggestions.