Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Edit: my bad I didn't know all sale type things had to be through SA Mart

Posting a link to a bridesmaid dress that's completely untouched. Just trying to get stuff out of my closet.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803912&perpage=40

CeramicPig fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
My fiancé is a firefighter, volunteer now and in the (slow) process of being hired onto a full time dept. The dept is in a VERY rough area that has a lot of dilapidated/abandoned houses being set on fire. My town does mutual aid and on his first fire there the basement caved in.
Anyways, there was a line of duty death in Massachusetts today and those always shake him up. He’s mentioned getting eloped before our actual wedding date so that should something happen I’m not left high and dry. With the death he’s really pushing the idea.
I’m ok with that idea and then still having the big ceremony, but how do I work that out with the officiant for the ceremony? Do I celebrate 2 wedding anniversaries? It’s a lot of weird grey area.
I just put a deposit down on our venue so I can’t scrap that and do a completely different impromptu backyard party.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

slinkimalinki posted:

Have you booked an officiant for the big ceremony? If not you could have an officiant for the elopement and then have a trusted friend officiate the big one. On the other hand, if you want the same officiant for both, the right person will be happy to work with what you want.

I haven’t looked too deep into officiants yet, we’re not getting married until October 2021, I just wanted to get the big stuff (the venue) booked cause October is wedding season in the Chicago area and there are places already booking up for that date.
But the far off date is part of why I’m stressing a bit about eloping. The hiring process is slow and I’m gonna let him gauge if/when he thinks it’s necessary to elope just because he might be on the ambulance for a while which is more low risk.
But I like your idea of keeping the same officiant, cause even if it’s like a year between eloping and the big ceremony they’d be willing to work with that and would understand our situation from the get go.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
This just popped up on my fb and I thought it was SUPER trashy

You could quietly cut those people out of your life and move on instead of the big public call out. Weddings bring out the best in people even a month after the fact!

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I made little bridesmaid proposal boxes and I’m going to start handing them out tonight and throughout Christmas. They came out so cute I can’t stand it.

The crinkle paper will be the wedding colors. The headbands have different cloth/themes based on the girls’ interests. The first one happens to be really into Disney. And the sock colors are different for each box.

(Please excuse my filthy carpet. It’s my studio/ the cats have taken it over so the cleaning in that room sometimes get neglected)

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t want a videographer because I don’t want to see all the unflattering angles of myself nor do I want to hear myself recorded :shrug:

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
So my mom is starting an argument that my 2 older brothers should be standing up in my wedding and I’m super not looking forward to the coming arguments. My brothers haven’t even congratulated me or acknowledged the fact that I’m engaged, they’re neutral toward my fiancé at best, I don’t want 7 people standing up, he doesn’t want them standing up on his side, the list goes on. My mom is very manipulative of me thanks to an abusive past and I’m dreading the drama this is going to start.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Apparently, the future MIL, FIL, SIL, and AIL are tag-teaming a wedding coordination effort on the India side. So I am pretty sure I'm just going to be kidnapped for a few days and come out at the end introduced to the whole clan. Neat?

That sounds mostly fantastic. As long as you’re one of those people who can let go and let someone plan it. I’d totally be down with that

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Hobby Lobby has a sale going on their wedding stuff. The boy and I went and picked up some things this afternoon and I got a couple of gifts for my maids and flower girls. Even bouquet stuff and decorative glasses are included so load up!

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Oooh that’s a good point cause I was hoping to have a sparkler send off for mine and that would look real lame with like 4 people.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Crazyweasel posted:

To maybe provide some value to the thread, for the above poster asking about delaying, history has shown pandemics have a second wave, so I would think this could really have a wave in Fall/Winter that will put people on edge into Spring of 2021.If you were more or less ok with a long delay, I think Fall ‘21 would be when we’d start to see some major jumps on overall “life back to normal”.

This makes me super glad I paid a bunch of deposits and locked in my Oct 2021 date with the things that were important to me (venue, DJ, makeup artist, catering)

My wedding dress is paid off and I’m super excited 💕 I didn’t mean to go in and get it so early. I was just trying to narrow down some styles that did/didn’t look good on me and they put this one on me and I just looooooved it. They threw in 10% off if I got it then so I decided to go for it.
What makes me nervous is that because of everything all David’s Bridals are closed (I know a lot of people are salty on them but I’ve always had good experiences, I didn’t have to pay extra to get a bigger dress that actually fit my boobs, and with my bridesmaids being about 2+ hours apart from the 2 furthest out ones, it would be best option for everyone to be able to access one close to them.)
Because they’re closed the dress is being shipped to me for free. My area is low crime and I’m near the end of a cul-de-sac so a lot of traffic this way is only people who are supposed to be this way, but I’m still nervous about my wedding dress being shipped and risking it disappear. We got a ring doorbell to help dissuade any sticky fingers. But I’ve never had anything this big/important/expensive shipped to me so it’s stressing me out a bit.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I’m looking for a really good strapless bra. I’m a 46F so I’m wondering if I should just get a corset kind of deal for under my wedding dress or would a bra work?

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I do have the dress. I don’t think there’s a built in corset though. I have it safely at my dads so I’ll have to double check next time I’m there

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Basic invite is having a 15% off sale for anyone who wants to save some coin on their stationary. I ordered our save the dates and response cards since I had already designed those (I get bored working nights)
They came in today and I love them 🥰😭

CeramicPig fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 25, 2020

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Axqu posted:

Concerns

Your wedding sounds magical. I’ve never been to the ozarks but as someone from the Midwest I’ve heard of it and always wanted to go.
Anxiety sucks super hard and once you start planning things and getting concrete payments/reservations down it helps calm you down cause it’s done! And then you move on to the next thing.
I’m also having an October wedding, but next year. I’m waiting for the end of fall to hit up the sales on the out of season stuff and the people selling on Fb marketplace. I’ve got almost all of my centerpieces done thanks to marketplace.

I SUPER stressed about my dress too. I didn’t know what to expect, I didn’t know what would look good on me, I was hard core overwhelmed by that. I had amazing luck at David’s Bridal. The sales person working with me understood like I had no idea what I was doing or how to even dress shop. I picked stuff out online that I liked and I had only my best friend/MOH with me. All of the dresses I liked looked HORRIBLE on me. But one my MOH/ the manager picked out I fell in love with and it looks amazing. There’s ways that dress can give me an hour glass figure that I had never even seen on myself before.
So, my suggestion to you is bring one person you super trust to tell you what does and doesn’t look good on you. A lot of people will want to come, and that’s what I intended on at first, but honestly it was so much better for me to have less attention because I get really flustered and embarrassed easily and I wouldn’t want to be crying in front of a bunch of people. Go to a shop that’s got a really good reputation in your area. Make your appointment for when it’s not super busy. The less people, the less you’ll be rushed, the more the staff can focus on and assist you, it’ll make you feel way more at ease. If anything start by trying different styles/cuts to see what flatters your body type. I promise there is one even if you don’t think it. I can also promise you will probably try on some that are gonna look real, real bad. That’s ok!! Laugh at how bad it is. It’s not a flaw on your part. Not every one is meant to be your husband and not every dress is meant to be your one.
I had people INSISTING that mermaid would look good on me and when I tried one on, it was a whole disaster. First off it wouldn’t come down over my big belly. I was sweating my rear end off, I happened to wear my more revealing underwear that day not planning on even going to look at dresses, the dress was stuck on my sweaty fat and the poor consultant was like clawing at it trying not to touch my sweaty rear end. We barely got that thing on me and once I got the dress on enough to see about what it would look like, I looked MASSIVELY pregnant in it and wouldn’t even walk out of the fitting room to show people. I was honestly more amused at how bad it was so I laughed about it while we struggled to get that thing off of me.
The manager came over to help since I didn’t know what I liked, I didn’t quite know how to articulate what I did and didn’t like, and I think my consultant was fairly new so she needed some guidance. She decided that we just try on the different styles to see what flattered me and that’s how I found my dress. It’s not quite A-line and it’s not quite ball gown. But it makes me look amazing and I feel great in it. Plus it’s a zipper so it’s easy to get in and out of which will make my bladder happy.
So if you just go to see what style suits you and you don’t find ~the one~ on your first visit that is fine!! If you do, that’s exciting!! Just try to keep an open mind because you don’t know what will surprise you. If you hate everything don’t beat yourself up. There’s so many styles and types of dresses you will find something you like in your price range, there’s no need to settle. You’re supposed to want to be pretty and confident on your wedding day. No one wants to be an ugly bride. It’s not selfish to want to look good.
If you don’t go traditional that’s cool too. I knew I didn’t want a stark white, heavy satin dress. But I also really hated ivory. I ended up with a very light blush dress. Get a short, orange dress. Who cares if no one approves it’s your body, your wedding. Not theirs.
Also the consultant will not care about your body hair, they’ve seen plenty of butts, they’ve seen boobs, everyone has thighs and a belly. You end up getting over being shy kind of quick.
Also going back to going with one person you trust and not the whole family; who you choose to bring is up to you, it’s who is going to help your anxiety the most and still be honest with you. Even if it’s just the first appointment and then you bring the whole gang later, that first appointment is going to be stressful and you’ll appreciate the lack of a crowd. If/when you find the one dress there’s no harm in going back for another appointment to show that bitch off to everyone who might have been hurt they didn’t see it the first time. How you feel and what you need to do to get through the process is more important than anyone else’s feelings.

People are always willing to help, you’re not barking orders by asking for assistance, and at first you really won’t need much at all. It’s not until you’re more down in the planning that you have to get help assembling, planning, designing, etc.
If your brain likes puzzles planning a wedding can actually play into that cause it’s a lot of coordinating to piece together your picture perfect wedding. It will all be ok. And like you said, regardless at the end of it you come out with a husband and that’s really the best part!

CeramicPig fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 30, 2020

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
We’re sort of similar stats:

I second the poofy dress. It helps hide big hips but while making you feel like a princess 💕
Also, teal is one of my wedding colors!! I’ll offer you my stuff when I’m done with it if you’d like! I have vases, pine cones, acorns, mini pumpkins, fake leaves for throwing, fake leaves strung up to hang, random small, wooden tags, mini branch slices (big enough for a votive), purple votives, I’m sure there’s more I can’t remember now.
I wanna try spray painting some of the pine cones teal to include my colors in my centerpieces. I’m sure I’ll amass more poo poo. If you don’t want any of it that’s totally cool.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
My fiancé is switching jobs and the insurance options provided are insulting at best. Very expensive for little to no coverage. As a firefighter and living during a pandemic in America where health is a political topic and not a guaranteed right, it’s important he have good/decent insurance. So we decided to get hitched :peanut:

Please ignore my weird face. I was anxious and my feet hurt.

It doesn’t feel real yet, but we’re also keeping it a secret from most people. We also just did it yesterday so maybe it just hasn’t sunk in yet. We’re still doing the big wedding next year but at least I can have him on my insurance this way and if anything happens he’s covered. I’m very happy and excited to get to call him my husband 💕

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

I knew when I was looking for mine that I didn’t want a gold one so I actually found the one I wanted on manlybands.com. If you ignore the pandering and the insane ring names (which are extremely funny to read) it’s surprisingly affordable and had some nice options. I got one with tungsten and wood and I’m very happy with it.

Got my fiancé’s band from manly band and he loves it. It looks solid quality and the free silicone band is a nice add on.

5.5 months left and still so much to pay for! Eek!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

My wedding suit pants are somehow still in Texas while I am here in Mexico getting married today. I am just profoundly embarrassed, sad, angry, frustrated, and every emotion in between and it sucks for making such a mistake. My soon to be wife is going to look amazing and I’ll be lucky to look like a half put together schlub. I know we’ll be able to laugh about it afterwards and tell our stories of everything going wrong and this and that but that’s in the future and I’m living the nightmare right now.

It’s the next day. Do you feel better now?