Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Thumbtacks posted:

One week away. Feels weird.

I’m still a bit worried some people won’t be able to make it and my fiancé’s brother was possibly exposed last week so we’re keeping an eye on it, if he can’t come she’s going to be devastated so hopefully it’s fine.

Hope everything’s okay with your fiancé’s brother :ohdear:

I sincerely wish you the best and good luck all around! I hope it’s wonderful.

And since this is an Ask/Tell thread, I’ll tell some tales and lessons from my BIL’s wedding, which I just got back from. He and his fiancée had originally planned a much much larger wedding at a snazzy brewery venue that was to take place later this fall, but since there’s a pandemic, they had to cut like 90% of the guest list after the venue bailed on them (after a long period of spotty, insufficient communication) and plan a whole different (and much smaller) backyard wedding in two months.

My husband and I went to his folks’ place a week ahead so we could help with setup and stuff. But since they almost never entertain and my MIL is quite scatterbrained, there was, uh, a lot of stuff that hadn’t been thought of, like anything having to do with decor :psyduck:

I’ve perused this thread a bit and I know a lot of folks have gone with minimal, nontraditional decor and centerpieces and stuff, but that was in the before times and that was the intention. Here, the intent was to have a more traditional affair, but that got ruined by the pandemic. I got married two years ago and our wedding was fantastic and had gorgeous flowers (which I had pretty much no involvement with because my sister was the event planner (she is a pro) and I trusted her to deal with it) and I felt so bad that the bride was going to just have her professional bouquet and corsages and stuff and then go buy some flowers from Trader Joe’s for everything else that I decided to take care of the flowers. Ended up going to a flower wholesaler instead of a florist (on advice from my sister) and got a pile of beautiful flowers and greens for a song and a dance and made the arrangements myself. They came out really well and the bride was very happy and I think the fancy wedding flowers made the patio feel more like a wedding spot than the in-laws’ backyard.

It’s getting late and I’m rambling so I’ll just bullet point what I learned:
- If you’re on a budget and have a small enough wedding and/or enough volunteers, buying bunches of flowers and greenery from a wholesaler and DIYing the arrangements is the way to go. The cost of a florist is much more about the labor than the materials.
- Get the green flower arranging foam or frogs to hold short arrangements in place (makes it soooo much easier)
- Be prepared to go to Michael’s five times over three days.
- Tule is fun
- I bought a crapton of ribbon that I ended up not using. Should have started on non-flower decor MUCH earlier.
- Battery powered candles have gotten quite good and they provided excellent lighting for the outdoor tables and can be used as party favors.
- get manicure AFTER assembling eucalyptus garlands and accept that you will smell like a eucalyptus tree for some time (not necessarily a bad thing).

In conclusion, best of luck to everyone getting married during these times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU