Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

black.lion posted:

2. Do jewelers expect you to know wtf you want precisely? Because right now I have a Pinterest board filled with "rings she likes" and I'm trying to figure out how to translate that into instructions. In my head I'm hoping it's like tattoo artists, where I can bring in pictures and say "do something like this" - but tell me how I should go about this for best results, please and thank you.

3. Can someone post some super dope men's wedding bands? I have no idea what I want I just want to start thinking about it.
2. This is basically what I did. Had to talk to a couple people before I found one that I liked, but the one that I went went with worked with me to turn my wife’s “Here’s what I like in a ring” into an actual ring. We looked through their work together and brainstormed some ideas and went through a couple rounds of designs and molds. I even got to cast it there myself which is probably her favorite part of the ring.

It was super helpful that I knew her must-haves in addition to her Pinterest board type stuff.

3. Looked at the jeweler’s previous work. I opted to do our wedding bands together after the fact at the same place. This way everything matches, I got help designing my band, and it was fun to do together. Casting each other’s bands was cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

We did visual comparisons and it seems that (in 2D mockups) that diameter of stone matters more than carat. I personally can't tell the difference in sparkle between shallow and deep cut and deep cut seems to add a tremendous amount of cost for very little benefit. Are we looking at this the wrong way? Long-term, people seem to care about the visibility (visual size) of the stone, rather than the exact carat (volume?), especially 6+ months after the wedding. It might help that we're in the tail-end of our group of friends getting married, so everyone is pretty fatigued about wedding crap at this point.

I read all sorts of things about how diamonds are worth next to nothing on the second hand market... what makes a diamond second hand, is there visible damage to the stone typically, and where can you buy these stones at such cheap prices exactly?

I think we're planning on getting a 9mm diameter circle cut (which is about 1.75-2 carat) loose and then combining with ring seperate. If we could chop the price of the stone down from $12-15k to $7k by going "used" synthetic that is fine by us, but not finding anything on google (actual items for sale, deliverable) that matches the devaluation claims. If we could get a $20k "new" stone for $10k cash "used" as you're describing above, we would probably jump on that.

Anyways, links to any sort of reputable secondhand markets would be fantastic if they will save us the 25-50% claimed.

Three little bears. If you want the sparkliest stone, go with a round diamond with a nice cut (not too deep, not too shallow; ideal proportions reflect the light better). If you want a wider stone, you can go with a pear or marquise.

“Sparkle” was my number one priority, so I went with a smaller stone with nice cut/clarity. It’s really sparkly and pretty easily catches light and makes cool reflections all over the place. Going with the smaller stone gave me more budget to breathe easier when we went to have our bands made. Everybody is pretty happy with the situation.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
My suit was significantly more expensive than the dress. I also wear it all the time.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

nesbit37 posted:

About 15% of our guests have cancelled now. Hopefully no more by wedding time on saturday. Also wondering if some are just going to no show instead of telling us ahead of time.

Oh, definitely. No call/no shows are common enough even under regular everyday life just got in the way scenarios.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 12, 2020