Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BrassMonkey posted:

I've just been asked to be a co-best man (along with another longtime friend). I think its going to be a fairly casual as opposed to traditional ceremony, but just so I can have the bases covered what are my responsibilities going to be?

One thing to keep in mind for the best man's speech: Nobody cares what you have to say. So keep it short and succinct. You're not as funny as you think you are and don't talk about yourself. I'm a big proponent of the Best Man's Toast rather than the Best Man's Speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

No Leaf Clover posted:

perhaps signing the marriage certificate as a witness,

Also, don't assume the pastor knows what day of the week it is. Double check the date on the marriage certificate or your brother might find out about it 3 years later and be pissed at you.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tulip posted:

I'm mostly familiar with the 1,000,000 things that can make a wedding reception a nightmare for the guests.

Share some stories! What have been some of the more horrific ones you witnessed?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

aneurysm posted:

Bad writing, worse graphic design. I understand wanting to be edgy and nontraditional, but that just looks like something a 14-year-old kid would come up with.

It looks like a great way to appeal to their friends and alienate their family and colleagues.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

do what now posted:

It makes a nice keepsake for your friends and family, especially those who can't make it to the wedding for whatever reason.

Say what you will about his invites, but I would never call it a keepsake.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Belldandy posted:

Has anyone gotten married on a beach? I imagine there would be some sort of permit you'd need, or something. Is it worth the effort? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Keep in mind the ocean is very loud on the beach. A friend of mine recently got back from a beach wedding and said that he couldn't hear a single part of the ceremony. I guess you might need a mic or sound system.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

WolfensteinBag posted:

I agree. You're talking about loving CHRISTMAS here, it's not even fall yet! Did he get the vacation approved before the new boss came in? It'd be handy if he did, but I'm not expecting it. He needs to stand up for himself and say flat out that he can not work for that week. What's the worst they can do? If they fire him on it, he files for unemployment and finds a better job. Also, if his boss is being so passive aggressive, chances are that means she's spineless and knew she wouldn't be able to say no to his face, so actually talking to her about it may be better than you think. There's still plenty of time, you'll figure it out! :)

True that. Passive aggressive people make the worst bosses, and there's always another retail store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LittleCat posted:

Etiquette question:

I'm working on our guest list, slowly trying to get addresses and such together to plan for our invitations. But I'm confused about one point of etiquette - what the heck do you do with an unmarried couple who DON'T live together, and you're fairly equal friends with both of them?

We could send a single invitation for both to one of them, but then the other might feel a bit slighted. Or separate to each, but if one arrives before the other and it's all like "We're reserving 1 seat in your name," then that might be a bit confusing. But if, in the worst case, they broke up before the wedding, I wouldn't want them to feel like the person who got the invitation was the only one we wanted there.

Help :(

I'm not an etiquette expert, but if you send both of them a save-the-date card, you can then call either of them after they receive the card, explain the situation, and then ask if they plan to attend together, and then send out the invitations accordingly