Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Hello all. I stumbled across this thread and realized maybe I can offer some insight. I am a wedding musician. I do classical guitar for ceremonies, cocktail hour guitar and singing, and occasionally DJ the reception. I have been doing so for three years now pretty heavily in addition to my full-time job. Weddings are awesome work and way more fulfilling than bar work. I get to work with a couple regarding what they want, how they want it, and usually end up challenging myself as a result. It's a great way to keep my chops up while earning a couple dollars, too.

I live in the High Rockies of Colorado. I've hauled gear up gondolas for a 12,000ft ceremony and hustled back down to town for the cocktail hour in the middle of summer wearing a full tuxedo. I've worked on 7 minutes of music with a bride for over a year in advance across multiple emails and meetings. I've also showed up for weddings and the couple have no clue what they want played. I played a classical version of "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica for a wedding two weeks ago.

If anyone has any questions please let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm starting to see things around the internet about tipping vendors. Is this a common practice? Which vendors need tips and how much is customary? I'm not trying to :can: about tipping, I genuinely don't have a clue about this. I don't want to accidentally be a dick and not tip them when they were expecting one.

I quote my clients on salary basis and don't expect to receive a tip. That said: I can't remember the last wedding I played where I didn't receive a tip. Having worked the catering side of things before, many include a service charge calculated on all the food furnished paid out to the wait staff as a tip.

I think that it is a specialized service and no tip is necessary but I don't mind that it has become customary? Keeps me on my toes and wanting to do a good job for clients (musician).

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

joyfulgirl129 posted:

So I have officially 35 days until the day and:

1) I can't get a hold of the officiant that we booked. 3 phone calls, 4 emails, no response. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and left a voice message of "hey, i hope everything's all right, I understand if there is an emergency, please just text or email me so that I can make backup plans" and then I searched for her Facebook page and she's partying and dicking around as of last week. And she's not a friend; this is her actual business.

2) The photographers we hired were just starting out when we found them; now they are charging a lot more for their services than what we agreed to in the contract and I get the feeling they are butthurt and keep hinting at "extras" that we could add to our contract for more $ that are already there to begin with in the original contract.

1. Send an ultimatum e-mail. Say that if you don't get a confirmation that you will then start looking for someone new to conduct the ceremony. That's piss poor if they don't handle their communications at all.

2. Tough poo poo for the photog. I've experienced the same boom in my ceremony music business. If they are as good as their prices now demand then you will be so blown away that you won't be able not to tip them. You were looking for photography at certain price point and that was them.

Good luck on the other stuff, I'm sorry, what a hassle. I told my dad that I was going to elope after seeing as many weddings as I have. He laughed and said it wasn't up to me (being I'm the dude).

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Been awhile since I've checked in on this thread...

I've moved from doing ceremony performance (classical guitar) to doing receptions as well by DJing and MCing. If you have any questions or ideas on how an evening should go feel free to PM me.

This summer has been insane and I am wrapping up nine weeks straight of day job, one or two weddings a weekend, pub gigs and others. I've had a Marine Colonel literally begging me to play their wedding less than 24 hours out from the reception date when I was already booked. We made it work. I've done a wedding for a reality TV contestant that included a Rose Ceremony. I've done a wedding where I had to hustle everything I have, about 800lbs of gear, in and out of two gondolas in Keystone, CO to make the reception venue. A few weeks ago I did ceremony and reception for a 200 person wedding where the videographer forgot to hit record on his audio and then the cake fell over at the reception.

It's been a fun season. I only have a couple weddings left and they are both for friends and close to my house, so I'm psyched to really relax and have some fun. Well...more fun than usual, that is.

I've really taken a liking to being MC for weddings. I've really gotten involved with planning the vision for the wedding, maintaining a good flow, coaching couples on what to expect and what may not work, and above all managing expectations. I think the biggest thing I try and convey to my clients is that this is an entertainment event and you are entertaining guests. It's important to keep things rolling and engaging for the guests at the wedding who are their to celebrate your marriage. When that is the approach I feel that everything goes swimmingly.

Also: make sure your DJ has lights. Uplighting is a plus where available. Be sure to have microphones ready for the ceremony (wireless lavalier/lapel mics for the officiate and a handheld for everyone else as needed). Check references, have fun, and don't expect people to dance all night when you demand "Nothing but country."

Congratulations to everyone!

Edit: Oh, and the mention above about how exhausting it all is. My favorite line was last month when I asked the bride how she was doing. She simply replied, "I want to lie down. I'm exhausted." Don't overwhelm yourself! Assign day-of tasks to your bridal party (those you can trust) so that you can enjoy yourself. Where a wedding planner/coordinator isn't available this is a pretty good way to keep things rolling day-of.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 13, 2014

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

VivaNova posted:

4. Rushed feel of the wedding
I'm not too sure about the cause of this, but I can definitely say the wedding went by super fast and had a rushed feeling. I felt I hardly had time to sit down or dance. I think some of this might have been from getting a somewhat late start and the photographers dragging us away to get shots during the reception. It also could have been that the food service was out of sync with the DJ. Anyhow, I don't think of wedding had the "relaxed" vibe we were going for, everything felt pretty rushed.

How to Solve- not totally sure. Communicate with DJ and food servers and express exactly what time you what each key event to occur. Get photos done before.

Oh, man. This.

The biggest challenge I had going from club DJing to wedding DJing was becoming MC. I get all of my vendor info so that I can do this coordinating for clients. When an event kicks off (grand entrance, bouquet toss, special dances) you have to have everyone on board. Namely it's the photographer(s), but for food service and champagne toasts I have to have the venue and catering staff synchronized, too.

I would vote establishing not so much a timeline, as a flow for the evening. I've seen timelines from brides that had things to the second (not even kidding) and I laugh. Then I find a way to break it to them that it won't work. Only one wedding I have ever done has gone on time, and that belonged to the Marine Colonel mentioned in my previous post. Allow for at least 15 minutes of running late, but ideally a half an hour allows for catch up.

One major time sink I noticed this summer were table rounds. After the head table finished eating and the rest of the guests are still eating, I feel this is the best time for table rounds. Here is where bride and groom will visit the tables of their guests to say hello, thank you, talk, etc. This can take some serious time and should be accounted for when putting together your reception. If you can knock those out while people are still eating then you are my favorite couple. There is no lull in the evening where people are done eating waiting for the bride and groom to say hello to everyone in the room. We have to move on to toasts!

Don't allow fifty people to give toasts. Maybe four or five people, and perhaps a prayer or welcome said before dinner? I've had one wedding with about seven toasts from each side and it was painful. It was a toast-off. It took forever.

Having your DJ be a mobile on-site coordinator is great because they have the opportunity to manage any hiccups and keep the ball rolling. I can't think of anyone short of an actual wedding coordinator/planner who would provide these services effectively.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

ch3cooh posted:

Been doing a lot of work with our wedding planner picking venues, and thinking about catering. gently caress this a lot of stuff to think about.

Anyway, spotted this in a magazine in my doctors waiting room. These people win worst wedding ever

Are you kidding me? I would love to play this wedding. I would toss on Jock Jams, The Space Jam soundtrack, and probably every montage song from Rocky to the Karate Kid movies. After the grand entrance was over I would punch myself in the neck until I passed out and hope that everything went well by time I came around.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

poo poo. poo poo. poo poo. gently caress .gently caress.
I think my reception venue is too drat small!!! I have been playing with seating chart diagrams and I am having a REALLY hard time making it work even with out placing the food.

Plated or buffet style? If it's buffet perhaps you can ante up to make it plated with the caterers and save floor space that way?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Sharks Below posted:

Yeah ummm our wedding cake is a stack of bumper plates so ... each to their own? v:shobon:v

Now I just feel like an rear end. Never mind. Carry on. I'm sorry.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Here is what I have come up with.

As a wedding DJ I would plead with you to change my position relative to the dance floor. I've played weddings before where I was not adjacent to the dance floor and I refuse to do so anymore. If the dance floor is as big as it appears have the DJ occupy a corner of it? It will result in better energy, I assure you. The DJ will probably have all of their speakers at their booth/table so they can adjust and fix things on the fly. They won't be able to function that way across the room from the dance floor.

Edit: Here's what you do: have tables on the dance floor area for dinner, then remove the tables once dinner is complete and dancing kicks off. Problem solved.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Thanks for the input! I did not think about that! and that opens us up for having the food under the same roof then the only thing across the way would be the bar. and hey that is a sobriety test if you can make it over there , you are OK to be served!

You'll go from "not enough room" to "everyone seated comfortably". I do weddings in some pretty confined spaces and I actually like the idea of tables on the dance floor. It creates a cool little reveal when tables are moved. It feels like a change of venue without and actual change of venue.

Kick some butt and have fun! Congrats!

Edit: Man I would kill for that venue. Great options for lighting and speaker placement.

Edit2: This dude does a great job explaining floor plans. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT3x-2LN7TY

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 31, 2014

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Sharks Below posted:

Hahah awww! Don't worry, I am 100% aware that it's a weird and kinda tacky thing to do, but to me the worst wedding is one in which the people deviate heavily away from the kind of people that they really are. Does that make sense? I'm wearing a red dress because I like red and don't like white/light tones. I've got an enormous family but instead of stressing myself and my partner out (and bankrupting us) with a huge wedding we are taking our nearest and dearest away for a nice intimate thing. Have we copped flak? Yes. Will even those nearest and dearest judge us for having that kind of cake, and using the phrase "in cutting and in bulk" in our vows? YES! The BEST wedding is the one that suits you the individual and you as a couple (more importantly), even if some of your choices seem tacky. :3:

Naw - have fun! I'm just embarrassed that the one time I ever goof on a wedding theme it's in the wrong company. It is my fate to be the most socially awkward person ever.

Even on the internet.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

C-Euro posted:

It's cool if I'm freaking out more and more as I approach my target proposal date/window, right?

I think it would be strange if you weren't freaking out more and more. It means you care :).

Regarding the other stuff I say don't worry about it right now. The important part is asking your girlfriend if she will marry you.

You'll be fine.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Porkchop Express posted:

What is the average price everyone has paid for a DJ? I have got quotes ranging from 800 to 1350, with the average seeming to be about 1K.

Resident wedding DJ chiming in here.

I think this depends heavily on your region within the US. Obviously more populous/metro/expensive areas are going to command (demand?) higher price tags for DJ services. TheKnot.com catalogs average wedding prices broken down into categories including entertainment for different regions. I would google "average wedding price in XXXX" to see what comes up. More effective still may be speaking to others in your area who have gotten wed in the last year or two to see what they paid and for what.

"For what" is another contributing factor here. Consultations are a good sign and you can really speak to your DJ about your vision for the day and get some feedback from them on it. You should also ask for references so that you know where they are at talent wise. To be honest I've seen some incredible DJ's who are part timers and some miserable DJ's who are full time. I don't think that status is a true indicator of how good they will be, so take it with a grain of salt.

Ask about lighting, too. Uplighting is an amazing addition to receptions as you can coordinate with your wedding's colors. Additionally think about how much more fun it will be to dance when you have some club style effects (no fog!) on your dance floor. Just my opinion, but as someone who regularly rents out my lights to other DJs I know I made a wise investment with even some simple washes and effects. And I just love my laser starlight on the ceiling :). People will be more inclined to dance and it will feel more like a party when you can transition from the sconce lighting to dance floor lighting to kick off the party.

If anyone is getting married in Colorado I am in Breckenridge but regularly work in the front range as well. Goon discounts are always available. </shameless plug>

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

fyallm posted:

We got a DJ lined up that we really want, hes going to be there for 5 hours, and it comes with bose bass system and lightinging and it's the owner of this DJ service instead of one of his new guys and he wants $1,200 .... It seems a tad expensive?

I gotta start charging more. I usually ask $800 to $1,100 for the day.

A lot of this depends on your location, though, so Google the average wedding costs in your area. TheKnot.com should provide this information broken down into categories to include DJ/Entertainment.

Bose systems are okay I guess. I hate how the "stick" systems look. They have decent coverage but I just don't get that "kick" and imaging that traditional drivers provide. I feel like Bose tried doing something for pro musicians but missed some important things like "visibly pleasant" and "road worthy". My biggest complaint on the stick speakers are that the input panel is facing upright on the base of the stand. Completely asinine because after two gigs they are chock full of dirt and other badness. Horrible design.

I rock a Yorkville sub under my table and JBL EON 15" mains on stands. I mount my lights to the speakers so everything looks clean and lights/sound are equally focused. I tuck a starfield laser behind my table or on the base of the speaker stands to cast stars on the ceiling of the venue. I want to invest in some speaker stand scrims to really clean things up. Uplighting gets real (really expensive) for me this spring. My setup will be unstoppable.

Make sure your DJ and photographer coordinate. I've told DJs to gently caress off when they setup a horror show of a space station in the background ceremony pictures. Some DJs have full effect lighting and lasers present that contaminate important shots.

</rant>

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
For some reason that reminds me of a photographer friend and his interaction with a model. The photography takes time in post (though October to January feels a little long to me) to clean things up in some instances...

Photographer: "Can you take off that ring? It's a little distracting to the shot..."
Model: "Can't you just remove in in Photoshop?"
Photographer: "Yeah, or you can just, ya know, take it off."

Edit: I read your post closer. That seems a little silly to me. If they're really that worried about his work being out there without touch up, then maybe allow them a disclaimer or something? Promise not to post them in huge public displays with their name all over it? Definitely a little bizarre. Scope out your contract again if all else fails.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 10, 2014

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Writer Cath posted:

I thought I'd offer a tip that not everyone thinks of:

Bring food to the park.

It's a super quick thing, but it can make a lot of difference.

Truth. When I perform weddings I'm the first to arrive and last to leave. I always make sure to snag a solid lunch before kicking the day off. I pack a "go bag" with things I may need during the day and for others, too. Deodorant, sunblock, cologne, toothbrush/toothpaste, clothing bits, and of course food. Usually it's a couple granola bars but man, sometimes I start to fade after setup is finished and dinner is a ways off.

Edit: Gum, too, especially. People come up and ask for things like this all the time during the reception.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 3, 2015

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Writer Cath posted:

I always have a tonne of mints on me; the grooms love it on the way to the ceremony and since they fade, there's no worry about disposing of it like gum.

Fellow vendor!? Any good war stories from the trenches?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Writer Cath posted:

Here's a short one.

Wedding Planner: Oh hey, since the groom's family is paying for everything, you don't need to take pictures of the bride's family.

Me: :stare:

That's amazing. I wanna watch this wedding planner in action.

I just get done speaking with the bride about doing the cake cutting after two more songs. Immediately after she leaves the booth to do more dancing, the venue contact comes up to say that "We need to delay the cake cutting as long as possible. It fell over."

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

OssiansFolly posted:

My fiancé would have a melt down if her cake fell over...how exactly did this end?

I think they pulled it off. Despite my two song warning I keep playing music until the venue gives me my next cue. I remember this part because it's a memorable song. I am playing "Party Rock Anthem" by LMFAO. It's popular as hell and perfect for this wedding's demographic.

Venue contact comes screaming over and says, "Okay! We are go! Let's do the cake cutting!"

I respond, "Sounds good! Let me wrap this song and we'll cut the cake."

Urgently, he says, "No! We need to do it RIGHT NOW. The cake is falling over again!"

So I kill the song right in the middle of a chorus and make the announcement that it's time to cut the cake. People look at me kind of funny regarding killing a track mid-song, but then we're on to the cake cutting. I didn't hear anything more about it past that so I imagine it went alright. I'm told they opened up the fridge and the cake was on it's side. The pastry chef got it to a presentable state but it was still trying to crumble and hence the quick call for cake cutting.

Another wedding the videographer came to see me during dinner. He had forgotten to hit "record" on his audio recorder for the ceremony. He was hoping I had recorded the audio. I had not. I feel bad but it also wasn't part of my job. I now do my best to make sure videographers are recording everything.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

OssiansFolly posted:

Found out later that this is absolutely hilarious uncut.

Heh - whoops! At the same time, though, people are usually really stiff/nervouse during weddings. If they can cut loose and relax a little bit I'm all in favor.

I always offer my services, free of charge, to voice over the entire ceremony if all else fails.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

smackfu posted:

That brings a question to mind: how do vendors react to bad reviews?

I just signed up on WeddingWire and am nervous as hell. I've had great clients to date but am always worried about a client in the bridezilla or groomzilla territory who I will be completely unable to please. I suppose I just always do my best and have to accept it if I do a poor job along the way. Lucky for myself, 99% of my bookings come from planners and vendors in my area, so they are the ones who can vouch for me. Another big thing I do is sit with clients to make sure I'm going to be a good fit. I gear toward clients that I can do my best work for. Salsa and merengue reception for fifty and no alcohol? I'm probably not your guy. Big party for 200+ people? I'm your guy.

Just dropped on my uplighting for the summer and a couple new QSC K12 speakers. My condo is getting so small...

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Where are you located? I'm available March 7th.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

GlutenFreeBanana posted:

We are in Las Vegas .

Yeah...about a 13 hour drive from where I live. Good luck, and if things really go south I can fly in and blow it up.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

C-Euro posted:

Officiant (currently have a lead)
Wedding Photographer
Music
Flowers (for ceremony, or both?)

Where are you getting married?

In general I guess I want to say that I'm in Colorado and have lots of leads on these things and can help out.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Speaking as a bartender at many weddings, vodka is the big winner. You can cover a great deal of drinkers with a few handles, cranberry, soda, sprite, and some limes. Add some sour mix and Cointreau and you have cosmos plus kamikaze shots. YMMV.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

...and I'm going to try to push her towards an iPod playlist rather than a DJ.

I'm obviously biased, but I vote "no" on this. Who is going to keep things moving along? Who is going to be doing the announcements? Will anyone be available the entire time to tech audio and lighting? How about planning out the reception itself?

When and where are you getting married? I'm up in Breckenridge and would rather cut you a bangin' deal than see this go down.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Literally every wedding I've been to that had an iPod instead of a DJ had the playlist interrupted by either the iPod loving up or some drunk idiot deciding they want to hear a particular song RIGHT NOW.

Yeah...it's not good. Or for that matter someone plays "Thriller" and there is a minute long intro that everyone just sort of looks puzzled to.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

...September 2016...

I haven't booked any 2016 weddings yet. I will probably begin doing that this summer/fall. Keep me in mind and hit me up if you want to talk some details.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hadn't thought about lighting, is the soundboard and lighting something the venue usually provides? If not, that sounds like another big expense, and a pain in the rear end to set up/tear down.

I worked a country club wedding in Denver and they actually had uplighting for their room, but that is probably the most I've ever seen a venue do.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I honestly really don't care about the music. At all.

I hate to single out this statement, but just be sure to think of your guests. This is an entertainment event and you are receiving guests. It's similar to how I talk couples out of "just country" for their receptions because, while it is their day, for the event to be successful we need to consider our guests as a top priority. Don't worry about your dance skills, either.

Also what others said about arranging/programming music, announcing, crowd control, and screening song requests. Again: I'm obviously biased, but I've just heard too many horror stories and experienced some myself at weddings with no pro music.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
My first wedding of the season takes place this coming Saturday. Will be a good run-up into the summer season. Gotta clean up my track selections to make sure everything is not club-explicit. My new QSC K12 speakers are ungodly sounding for how big they are (12" drivers) and my uplighting is pretty hilarious. Going to be a whole new ball game setting up an entire Yukon's-worth of gear this summer.

Regarding seating charts I tend to lean toward them, because I've never done a wedding without them. Someone already mentioned above that you should keep grandma and grandpa away from the speakers. They will always want the music turned down even when it's mellow, normalized dinner music. For that matter, if you need any opinions on floorplanning I am always happy to help. I've seen some great layouts and some that are not-so-great. This stuff matters (at least to me).

If you are getting married in Colorado and need help with a tent, I work closely with a company up in Summit County if that's near where you are getting hitched. I can always push for a discount with them as we have a good working relationship and I am tight friends with the managers.

Don't get too hung up on your timelines, allow about 30/45 minutes of slop going into dinner, and remember to try and have fun! If you aren't using a wedding planner then try and designate day-of duties to members of your bridal party. Let them know what you expect to people you trust to do these things. Your day is going to be hectic and busy even when you delegate out responsibilities.

If you are running behind try and communicate this information to your caterer so that they don't prepare food and have it sit for 45 minutes.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Comstar posted:

She's a Stargate fan.

drat, I want that wedding.

Last night was my first wedding of the season. The bouquet landed in a chandelier and a girl climbed on a dude to get it. Otherwise a really fun bunch even for a small wedding.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: also, it's a rental vacation home, not our own. Not sure how much of a difference that makes. And yes, I'm making sure they allow events.

Look for some day-of insurance. Shouldn't be too expensive. Dram Shop liability is a thing and it's .05 in CO to get popped on a DUI.

Last I remember from my modest law studies it is a lease at that point and you have the right to peaceably and freely enjoy the premises. This is - of course - subject to any covenants prohibiting certain acts such as smoking, violating HOA rules, excessive guest count, etc. Nothing should get in the way of you enjoying drinks with friends to celebrate your wedding. Also: I am not a lawyer.

Where are you getting married again? It's been really rainy up here in Breckenridge so far this season. All of my ceremonies have been rained out and I lost a speaker two weeks ago to excessive rain. Just be sure you have a rain-or-shine plan in place. We need the rain to keep our water table intact and stave off wildfire, but I've never seen so many ceremonies squashed as a result.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Polo-Rican posted:

Does anyone know of a good resource to find good, independent DJs? I'm doing tons of research and only finding:

I'm an independent wedding DJ in Colorado. Talk to your venue for their preferred vendors. Especially because the DJ will/should be lighting the venue, experience there will be a big plus. Further for the logistical issues involving load-in, sound arrangement, organizing the event, etc etc.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We just need to figure out the date next, probably.

Do this then let me know so you can hire me to be your DJ at a steep discount. That is, if you are still planning on the iPod wedding dealio.

At the very least I can send you the playlists from this summer's weddings to give you a better idea of some cross-generational party music.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Sorry, man, I'm just in the heat of wedding season and that detail stuck out to me. I don't mean to come off as a ding-a-ling, I just hate lackluster events. Hit me back when you lock down a date, though!

15 weddings done this season. After today I've got 7 more and then vacation!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

LLSix posted:

My wife wants me to pick out her father-daughter dance song (and wants me to dance with my mom too). I've narrowed it down to a rumba or maybe a 4 count swing song because those are incredibly easy to lead. About 90% of the guests will be Spanish speakers (the ceremony is in Mexico so her huge family can attend) so I want to find something with Spanish lyrics and a Latin feel to accommodate them. I'm having a rough time finding a good song with appropriate lyrics. Anyone got suggestions?

Here ya go: http://www.djintelligence.com/charts/

Obviously not a cure-all for song choices, but it can at least get your mind working in that direction when choosing music. For that matter, I don't think there are many Spanish songs on there at all. Good luck!

We had to bump up yesterday's wedding three hours because the groom had to catch a flight to go to Army Ranger School. It was a sad send off to say the least.

The first time I've ever had to announce to everyone, "Alright! It's time to go shave the groom's head!"

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 6, 2015

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

appleskates posted:

Hi, I never thought I would post in this thread.

Congratulations on marrying Paul Rudd!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Porkchop Express posted:

The guy delivering it got lost and said his phone died, and someone it took him 2 hours to find his way to the venue.

I had a wedding last year where the cake fell over just before I told the bride that in two more songs we would cut the sucker. Cue the venue frantically reassembling a cake and then having me hard stop a song to send the bride and groom over (before it crumbled under it's own weight). Frankly, I'm amazed it worked out in the end.

Wedding season is over for me. Did 30 I think this summer? I'm glad I don't have to put on a suit this weekend. Just gonna DJ a club and play nasty dirty hip hop all night instead because gam-gam and the grandkids aren't in the house.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Mandalay posted:

Is it possible to decorate a hotel conference room *really* nicely--to the point that it doesn't look like one? I'm not seeing much on GIS and I don't pinterest.

A hotel we are considering for our banquet/reception is offering to throw in a ceremony space for nearly free, but my fiancé thinks having a ceremony in a conference room is boring. I agree somewhat but also don't feel like shelling out 3k+ for a separate space, rentals, transportation between the two, etc. I'm just looking for ideas..

I've done one and got lucky that the room had some cool architecture, otherwise I wouldn't want to be tasked with decorating a conference room. I can do a reception space, sure, with uplighting etc., but for a ceremony I think anything like that would be a little distracting for the task at hand. One man's opinion.

How about another spot in the hotel? When I have done everything on-site at the hotel they tended to have gorgeous fireplace rooms/lobby/foyer areas where we could rearrange furniture, bring in flowers and other natural decor, etc. to create a great ceremony space. Obviously I can't speak to the specific hotel you are using, but maybe getting creative with the spaces they already have would be the route to go? Since most ceremonies only occupy a half an hour of time tops, I've never met a hotel that wouldn't make that accommodation.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Dazerbeams posted:

...how can I vet a DJ?

Talk to your venue about recommendations. The coordinator should know who does the best work and knows the space, too.

16 weddings booked so far this year. September is nuts as always, but that's the Colorado prime time in Breckenridge.

Two goon weddings, too! Can't wait to wear my fedora and argue Star Wars canon with the guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

EL BROMANCE posted:

We're pretty pissed.

Sounds like you've been acting in good-faith this entire time. I would review your contracts to double-check that they don't have a case where these things are mentioned in vendor requirements. If they really haven't asked you for anything beyond general liability business insurance then I would push back.

If it has been mentioned in the paperwork then you are going to have a much harder time. I don't operate F&B so I can't comment on reasonably expected levels of insurance on that front as I carry only general liability myself.

At the very least this is poor customer service, at the worst this is grounds for legal action. IANAL, however if they are actually springing these things on you without full disclosure it may be grounds for breach of contract and subject them to some nastiness if they up-end an entire wedding that you (and your guests) have a reasonable expectation of happening as planned.

Good luck. Review the contract(s) you signed with them hope you get to keep your caterer; sounds like they are being a good sport.