Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We did visual comparisons and it seems that (in 2D mockups) that diameter of stone matters more than carat. I personally can't tell the difference in sparkle between shallow and deep cut and deep cut seems to add a tremendous amount of cost for very little benefit. Are we looking at this the wrong way? Long-term, people seem to care about the visibility (visual size) of the stone, rather than the exact carat (volume?), especially 6+ months after the wedding. It might help that we're in the tail-end of our group of friends getting married, so everyone is pretty fatigued about wedding crap at this point.

JohnnyRnR posted:

esidual value. Synthetic diamonds ...worth practically nothing secondhand and prices are still dropping as production increases.

Diamonds have a dependable market & have been traded for centuries. You won't get the original retail price when you sell a $20,000 engagement ring, but having an insurable asset that's easily convertible to $10-15k when you need it is valuable to some people.

I read all sorts of things about how diamonds are worth next to nothing on the second hand market... what makes a diamond second hand, is there visible damage to the stone typically, and where can you buy these stones at such cheap prices exactly?

I think we're planning on getting a 9mm diameter circle cut (which is about 1.75-2 carat) loose and then combining with ring seperate. If we could chop the price of the stone down from $12-15k to $7k by going "used" synthetic that is fine by us, but not finding anything on google (actual items for sale, deliverable) that matches the devaluation claims. If we could get a $20k "new" stone for $10k cash "used" as you're describing above, we would probably jump on that.

Anyways, links to any sort of reputable secondhand markets would be fantastic if they will save us the 25-50% claimed.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wedding cake knives were a thing back in the 80s, I would imagine before and after, definitely not a new thing. There was a white marbled handgrip wedding cake knife and serving... pizza slice shaped metal thing that lived in the drawer and were explicitly never to be used by mere mortals.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there some sort of drop down pricing calculator for diamonds? Like I want to pick a 2.00 carat, I color, S2 inclusions, ideal cut and find out what the "list price" is, then do the drop down and change it from I color to H color (slightly more white) and see how much the price goes up. Then drop it to 1.99, 1.85 carat etc and see where the price goes. GIA diamonds all seem to be price the same at retail as near as I can tell.

Girlfriend seems to be most concerned about it not being yellow and being big, sparkly third, inclusions last.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Is there some sort of drop down pricing calculator for diamonds? Like I want to pick a 2.00 carat, I color, S2 inclusions, ideal cut and find out what the "list price" is, then do the drop down and change it from I color to H color (slightly more white) and see how much the price goes up. Then drop it to 1.99, 1.85 carat etc and see where the price goes. GIA diamonds all seem to be price the same at retail as near as I can tell.

Girlfriend seems to be most concerned about it not being yellow and being big, sparkly third, inclusions last.

Found it:

https://www.diamondscreener.com/diamond-prices/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

JohnnyRnR posted:

What are you trying to do? There is a lot of information that GIA reports don't communicate so raw price data isn't that useful because you can't ensure the product comparisons are accurate.

I already played the "eye clean or not?" game on blue Nile and James Allen

Seems like if you follow those graphs there are distinct vertical lines at various carat sizes. It's a cool tool to be like, "+/- $3000 what does a non VVS, less than G 2.0 carat diamond cost?

There's a billion articles about buying a 1.0 carat diamond but once you venture outside that realm advice drops off quickly. Very cool to see how he market is organized.

And yeah GIA reports are just this side of not being completely useless, no argument there. Big fan of ideal scope and ags scopes etc etc. Already wrapped up my purchasing hunt thankfully, more or less on budget.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is a lot of the bridezilla thing because the girl wants to reach X weight by the wedding, then three weeks before the wedding realizes she's 15 lbs overweight and goes on a crash diet, starving herself, and is hangry all the time around everyone?

Asking for a friend

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think the main point of the contract is to let them know volume of business for that season and intent to order. They might not let you cancel outright, but should let you redo anything up until maybe 90 days out. They would be crazy to burn the bridge over a change. Likely they haven't even planted the flowers you've ordered yet. Most plants take 60-80 days to flower from seed, give or take.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We looked at stone diameter vs finger diameter and then discussed ring band style and would casually wander into jewelery stores and browse to get get her temperature for what kind of ring and size stone she wanted and what her ring size was.

I get that there's supposed to be some Hollywood style complete surprise but really I think it's ok to get her input. Ring shopping has been my girlfriend's absolute favorite hobby so far.

On the flip side for about two weeks she went engagement crazy and was wandering when I was going to propose and pointed out there's no fun if it becomes an expected task on ticking timer. Finally she decided that she wouldn't bug me about when.

Anyways, yeah there's nothing wrong with wandering in to kay Jewelers or Shane co to "window shop" in fact i highly suggest it. If you're not discussing long term plans this close to the engagement you may want to consider doing so as others suggested.

About six months ago I bought her a cheaper ($50) silver ring with a synthetic ruby to kick off the ring search and get her thinking about her preferred band style and stone size, which has been a huge help, living with that ring daily she has narrowed down exactly what she does and does not like about it, so we have a high degree of confidence that she's enjoy her real ring for the long term.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 24, 2018

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've seen opal and turquoise on rings before, but generally they are inset, rather than a proud setting. They are usually no more than 6 on the hardness scale. Are you looking at a traditional diamond setting?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My guess would be, average person has 1-2 drinks, and for the 21-35 crowd, 3-5

I'm really curious, how much booze is a great thought experiment. Having bartended before at probably 15+ weddings I would say 50% beer and wine feels about right. Maybe even 70%. But that was Texas in the late 00s and access to liquor was hard to come by so it was mostly a light beer culture back then. Where you live matters a lot. Some place like Wisconsin is going to have more hard liquor, California is going to be heavy on red wines and whiskey.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We purchased an "Astor" branded stone from Blue Nile, the photos are better than what you can see with the eye, and honestly the pictures that you can swivel through are better than trying to inspect the stone by hand using a loupe.

Had my girlfriend professionally sized for the band, they suggested half a size under, that seemed like wise advice.

But yeah, the whole process with Blue Nile was flawless. Very stress free

The Astor branding just means you get a gemex certificate in addition to the gia cert. It's really hard to judge the overall quality of the cut without some sort of idealscope, aset report. Turns out there's a bunch of garbage-grade diamonds that might be white and internally flawless, but don't have the hearts and arrows that show up the way they do. The whole point of the diamond (in my opinion) is that they have an unusual refractive index, and the ideal cut that was designed specifically for this refractive index. If your diamond had a poo poo cut, you just defeated the whole point of it and you might as well just go with crystal glass instead.

Anyways obviously I've bought in to the whole light performance argument so take all that with a grain of salt. James Allen has their light performance stones (Astor) marketed as "true hearts" and seem price competitive with Blue Nile.

TL;DR buying online was a breeze, we got exactly what was pictured.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We did our wedding registry through Zola, they have a bunch of wine fridges and poo poo in their register, but for like 3% off the top, they will hold all your orders and just send you the cash, but still generate a list of what each person "bought" for you so you can write then a lie thank you letter for the gift. I'm morally ambiguous about this whole concept, but right now our tiny city apartment can't hold all the garbage on our registry so that's a plus.

We also did a straight cash donation thing too for a big trip we want to take next year.

So far three people have mailed us crap directly but most of the gifts came straight through the Zola site so we're looking forward in to converting that into Amazon purchases of the things we actually need. Being adults we already have pretty nice things so it's pretty limited what Zola has that we couldn't get from Amazon for less or a better brand elsewhere.

Honestly all we want at this point is some really nice matching glassware, silverware, and full plated set. Oh and an all-clad copper core set. We don't need a walnut handled cheese grater or whatever poo poo from sur la table

Edit: can confirm, plug in toaster ovens are super rad, won one at a college raffle, used the poo poo out of it.

Later we got an oversized toaster oven (it's the top one on Amazon, it's like $63 and a convection oven to boot... might be an oyster model? Check it out)... That is big enough to fit any store bought frozen pizza in, takes like 2 minutes to preheat, with convection on cooks any pizza in 12 minutes flat.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 10, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mildly interesting story

We had great success with Blue Nile for fiance's engagement and wedding rings. Unfortunately Blue Nile discontinued their 6mm 18k low dome men's ring. Bought one from James Allen instead. Mistake.

1. The ring on the website says "James Allen" on the inside. The ring that arrived says Benchmark
2. The 6mm ring ordered was 5.74mm

I get that there are manufacturing tolerances and all that. But the 6mm tungsten rings we ordered from Amazon at about $10 each, made from a metal worth about $10 an ounce, were all 6.03, 6.09mm etc. Very close tolerances, less than 0.10mm

This ring that arrived was more than .25mm short, and the material is closer to $1100/ounce. I'm guessing there's about $65-80 worth of gold missing from the ring. Total ring weight was 7.5g on the dot if anyone is curious.

Generally I wouldn't care but dang guys, it's SOLID GOLD, come on. Also even the super cheap tungsten rings were 6.0mm. This one is closer to 5.5 than it is 6

Heading over to Tiffany's to compare

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tiffany's ring of the same dimensions and description looked and felt exactly like the Tungsten examples we'd been buying off Amazon for a couple of months. Felt closer to 10-12 grams.

I just weighed my 5mm and 6mm Tungsten rings, the 5mm tungsten rings came in at 7.2 and 7.6g, which is about what my 7.5 gold ring came in at. The 6mm tungsten rings came in at 11.4 and 12.9

Probably just going to go with the Tiffany's at this point, James Allen got back to me and said this is within their manufacturing tolerances which seems crazy

:spergin:

My takeaways

1) don't buy men's wedding bands from James Allen, quality varies wildly, possibly poorly in your favor
2) James Allen outsources their men's wedding bands so why even order from them, go direct to the source
3) measure what your get to make sure you're getting what you paid for

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ring update: Tiffany's ring is 5.89mm wide, 10.0 grams 18k vs the James Allen which is 5.72 and 7.5g, so basically $102 worth of gold missing from the internet retailer

I'm a little surprised that the ring was 0.11mm short, I was expecting sub 0.10 variance

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a lot of women who since they were 7 years old knew that they would meet a man in college, he would propose in college and then they would get married within 6 months of graduating college, come hell or high water. Basically you finish college, move out of the house, get married and become an adult. This is also known as "getting your Mrs. degree" and is 110% normal.

My cousin did this as well, she's still happily married (7 years later), has his dick in a vise and rules their relationship and she's super happy about it.

Basically, telling her to cool her jets on getting married would be like telling her to give up on her manifest destiny of graduating college and getting married, because you think it's weird

MRS degree used to be 85% of women up until about 1978, by the 1980s it was 50% of women and now it's probably closer to 35% but this is a very normal and established pattern and you're only going to make an enemy if you get between her and her absolute life goal. I would let it go.

It's like if you wanted all your life to get in to Harvard as an English major doctorate program, and then your sister is like, "hey maybe you should work on your career and getting a stable income, rather than follow your dreams"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

black.lion posted:

Alternative story: I have a friend who did this (got married straight out of undergrad to a guy she'd dated a year or less)

I still need to figure out my ring and my costume. Torn between getting a tux and a suit, either way I'm having it made bespoke.

We were looking at what men's suits cost in SF and every one of them was $800 or more (I think I tried on a $3000 off the rack suit at one point) and the reason go go with one brand over another was fit... Very obvious that I would get a better fit from going bespoke. We flew from CA to Hong Kong for $450 and got a tux made for $700... Less than the average cost of a tux at the suit shop. Very happy with the result, this was my second time getting a bespoke suit from Sam's Tailor in HK. Airbnb and meals were another $100/day but it's a good vacation spot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We're waiting on our photos to arrive but I'm pretty sure we're gonna do it ourselves. My wife is way too picky about this stuff. Already sent the wedding video back for edits three times (that I know of). All of our wedding gifts are tied up with Zola and we'll probably order our book through their preferred vendor so it's no cash out of pocket.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We haven't been unhappy and it made printing invitations and thank you notes a snap. Invitations and save the date and bulk emailing was very straightforward and not a total ripoff and the quality was good

You can technically use an Amazon wedding registry but they bury it deep and nobody will ever find it, so you're stuck with the Zola registry. Any cash value of anything on your registry that people buy for you, you can then repurpose/combine to buy something you actually want/need. We had a bunch of $99 items and then will probably put that together to buy an all clad 999.00 pot and pan set from Zola. Most people want to buy a $49-99 item so we just added a bunch of random $99 items and we'll spend that $3000 on probably six really nice things instead of 50 versions of cutsey salt and pepper shakers or whatever people spent $99 on

It's not perfect but my wife has been very pleased with it, it's probably better than most other things out there

Some people gave us straight cash and then we were able to take that and turn around and use that directly on the thank you notes which meant $0 out of pocket which was nice because we're basically broke until September 15 when everything is paid off

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 8, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The registry is on another tab that's kind of hidden and the link is the same text size and color as everything else and honestly your guests aren't doing to go and dig for it, you'll be lucky if they look for the directions to the venue

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My cousin just got married last month, they had it in the middle of the day at a rented historic barn at a public park to save money and they rented the whole place out for 4 hours. They are extreme introverts/nerds/West coast hippies and wanted a very small wedding for a number of reasons. Bride was a baker in a previous life, catered her own wedding of 30 ppl

We went to the wedding and then took them out for lunch later that week

Bride said at lunch flat out that she wished she had rented the barn for an extra 2 hours so she had more time to spend with people, rather than rush everyone out so she could get the barn cleaned up in time. She spent a solid 25% of her wedding doing dishes. Yes everyone helped but it was an awful way to spend such a huge chunk of your wedding

TL;DR hire a caterer, preferably two people or more. It's a memorable event, don't spend most of it doing the dishes

I would not wish catering duties on any Bride or groom. You're way too busy getting married to keep track of catering, let alone worry about if Uncle Joey had to much to drink etc

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We flew round trip, both of us, to Hong Kong for $1070, stayed in a $100/night air bnb, got my tux custom bespoke made for $640 including a blue velvet bowtie at Sam's Tailor

Tux rental was gonna be like $600 and you can't get it tailored and I only get to wear it one night. It's been three months and I've already worn the tux to three other events

Meanwhile wife has her dress on Craigslist for $2500 as it's giant and poofy and will never wear it again

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

My part of wedding planning is the invitations- is there a goon approved website for custom designs and/ or a guide for creating them? I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew when volunteering for this...

We used Zola for creating the invitations + tracking the RSVPs

Was super helpful when we had to do seating for dinner as we live in california so we had meat, vs. meat + halal, vs. vegetarian, vs. gluten free etc etc

Also used Zola for doing our thank you notes. They mail you the envelopes pre-addressed so all you need to do is write the note and lick the stamp

Pricing was reasonable, I am a very DIY-er person but the convenience factor really trumped the ~$1.20/per guest cost, especially once you factor in the free RSVP thing and also the wedding registry is on the same site

If you're not going to do RSVP + registry on zola the value proposition falls apart really quickly

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Have her go to a jewellery store and get sized for an engagement ring. It's free they do it probably 20 times a day.

Triple check with her friends that she doesn't want to help with picking out the ring. Some women honestly don't care but in my experience they do

Probably just swing by the jewellery stores at the mall and swing by Jared's and ask her what she likes and especially what she doesn't like. My wife was able to rule out a bunch of cuts and styles and that helped us narrow things down considerably

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A lot of the weddings I've been to have two options

1) charitable donation
2) future children's educational/college trust/CD

Some of the online wedding registries have the option to take all the money and combine it into one super gift that you actually want and then remind you later to lie and thank each person for the various little crappy things people got.

We ended up with like $700 cash gifts which went straight towards paying off wedding expenses and $2500 worth of "registry gifts" which is going towards some ridiculous all clad copper core set and maybe some fiesta plates when we move into a bigger place

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our reception and ceremony were in the same place too. Here's our redacted timeline that went out to the wedding party + additional important parties

Wedding Party and Special Roles

Bridesmaids: 
Groomsmen: 
Officiant:
Greeters: 
Saxophone during ceremony: 
Train arrival bell:
Dance performances: 

Day before the wedding:

Event: Wedding Rehearsal
When: Thursday 2pm (sharp!)

Who: 

Event: Grooms Dinner/Rehearsal Dinner
When: Thursday 6:30pm

Wedding Day:

Event: Bridal Party Hair and Makeup
When: 9am-1pm

Event: Groomsmen Hangout
When: 10am-1pm

Event: Women's wedding party
When: Friday 2pm

Event: Men's wedding party
When: Friday 2:15pm

Event: Immediate family’s arrival
When: Friday 2:30pm

Event: Shuttle from Tollhouse to Venue
When: Friday 3:00pm

Event: Main Guest Arrival at venue (attention greeters)
When: 3:30pm

Event: Ceremony
When: 4:00pm

Event: Post ceremony pictures
When: 4:30pm – 5:15pm

Event: Cocktail Hour:
When: 4:30pm – 6:15pm

Event: Bridal Party Entrance to Cocktail Hour
When: 5:15pm

Event: Dinner Grand Entrance
When: Invite at 6:15pm

Event: First set of speeches/toasts
When: 6:25pm, 6:40pm

Event: Main course is served!
When: 6:55pm

Event: Second set of speeches/toasts
When: 7:15

Event: SUNSET
When: 7:54pm
Who: The sun
Where: The sky
What: It will get cold pretty quick after the sun sets, the goal is to get speeches done by 7:45 so that people can get in the barn for the next event.

Event: First Dance
When: 7:55

Event: Father/Daughter Dance
When: 8:00pm

Event: Mother/Son Dance

Event: Dance Performance #1
Event: Dance Performance #2

Event: Open Dancing
Who: Everyone

Event: Cake, Bouquet toss & Garter toss, Open Dancing, Last Dance

Event: GRAND EXIT
Who: Wedding Party
When: 9:40pm

Event: End
When: 9:45
Who: Everybody
What: Music off, lights on.

Event: Shuttles take guests back to
When: 9:45pm
Who: Everybody

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 8, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

So we've found what looks like our dream venue, but it has lock-in on the caterers. We've reached out to the caterers for quotes, and they're universally at least twice our budget.

Is paying the waitstaff for a 9.5 hour day standard? Do we pay for this even if the wedding is shorter?
Is it kosher to ask for fewer waitstaff/worse food?/etc to bring the cost down?

Keep in mind the caterer shows up 1.5 hours before, unloads, sets up, does catering things, then does 1.5 hours tear down, loading up the truck, that's 3 hours of "unseen" work, plus they need two short and one long paid break, 4 hours right there.

Having to choose from a list of approved vendors felt like a huge scam to me at first. But our venue was huge and any new vendors need training/orientation etc. A new vendor at a new-to-them site is going to have a lot of weird problems, compared to a vendor that's doing 2 events a month at that venue. That's how guests end up getting cold main entrees at dinner and warm beer. An experienced caterer is going to know the venue, how to time things correctly and have a good working relationship with the venue staff to get things done on time.

Rates are always negotiable, especially if you have a Friday or Sunday wedding, that's free/extra revenue for them. We managed to negotiate, cumulatively for the entire wedding about a 30% discount by being off season (early May) and on a Friday. They're definitely going to be booked for a Saturday in June, so I wouldn't expect more than 10% off if at all

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You're definitely gonna want to take off at least two days before, two days after. poo poo isn't gonna get done and then it's on you to do it before the wedding, then after the wedding (like, 60 minutes or less) people just evaporate and anything that needs cleaning up is on you. Plus you need some mental/emotional rest days. I'm an engineer and didn't buy into this, but definitely glad we took the week after the wedding off.

Generally your boss will either give you an extra day to for free or let you take a couple days off without pay, look in to it. Worth it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For those of you on the other side

How did/do you pay for child care, assuming that one of you is not a full/part time stay at home parent

I have an in law mother 45 minutes north of here who works 4 days a week. Bay area child care starts at $2400/month which is close to what we pay per month in rent

I've heard of some people paying for childcare out of their 401k, as a necessity. I don't like the idea of debt financing child care but if it's for six years as a "one time cost"...? Thoughts?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Find a photographer whose style you like, then hire that one. Keep in mind that portrait photography is completely different from wedding photography, and if you have 100+ people at the wedding they'll likely have one or two assistants taking shots at the venue, so that matters.

I'm firmly in the "no wedding video" camp. My in laws hired and gave us $$$ to pay for the wedding photographer anyways :shrug: In 9 months since the wedding we haven't looked at it besides when we first saw it. I would have gladly put that money towards our downpayment on the house or credit card bills instead.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The best advice I've ever heard is, "this isn't your wedding, this is her wedding", and then view events through that lens

You can either be firm on this, or waffle around on it. The longer you waffle the greater the drama. If you can't be firm about it, then maybe just fold. Waffling and leaving the door open for further discussion is just going to invite drama and she's going to keep prying until you make your final decision. If it were me I'd firmly tell her that you've already picked your bridesmaids or whatever, and it's not open for discussion and tell her to drop it.

We had five people standing on either side and that was plenty, mix of family and close friends.

Other weddings it seems like anyone under 30 is allowed to stand up there. Personal preference.

Edit: maybe your brothers don't like your financé and by putting your brothers in the wedding your mom is making them support you and your future husband? It's hard to complain about the person when you stood up there at their wedding. Long shot.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 28, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure which region of India but I also married into a desi family, we did a western style wedding in the states but also had a couple of Desi/Punjabi events out in Texas.

Our strategy was "we will do the desi stuff in Texas, but you guys have to plan it". This worked out ok because we flew to their city and they planned and paid for it, it was mostly an excuse for them to throw a fancy party and invite all their friends. It was different but fun.

Most of the events are smaller, like there's a women's tea hangout, another is kind of a larger family event for the community where kids/tweens/teens come sort of like a school dance called a... Mendhi?

Anyways, read up on these, you may the up doing two or more of these while you're there:

https://www.stylemepretty.com/2017/02/14/traditional-indian-wedding/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm gonna be the guy with the unpopular opinion here but I agree with the caterer. Part of getting more business is doing a good job at your wedding. Plus pride in doing a good job etc. Snacks during cocktail hour is, if your budget allows, not a terrible idea. They've catered probably a few weddings and are speaking from experience. You do you though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

God I'm hoping the pandemic is over by June,

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but current predictions have this peaking in late May to mid June in the US. Not ending, peaking.

I would not take the fact that many government announcements expire at the end of March as a signal that this will be over soon

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This site mostly checks out with what I've been seeing. There's a drop down for your specific state, so you can sort of see where the peak is going to be for your area and make a projection for yourself based on that data.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Here is texas, for example:

TL;DR definitely would not pick anything before middle of August, probably late September in reality. Late October and November are looking really good.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think if people stick around after dessert that's neat. Generally there's a couple of comments, speeches, toasts before/during/after cake cutting, all the old people who have been waiting to leave, leave. All the people with young kids leave.

The couples and single people people who were waiting to drink and dance and find someone to hook up with will probably close out the venue

Our venue was way the hell up in the mountains and with an open bar so we just had two buses to take people home, which meant everyone had to stay until we left. Due to reasons we couldn't afford a third "early bird" bus so everyone had to stick around. Our venue had a hard 10:30pm cutoff so it was sort of an ok compromise to hold everyone hostage.

The 15 or so people that drove themselves, probably left earlier than the busses. We had extensive notes in the invitations, website, and supplimental emails about the bus situation so people could plan ahead.

For my cousin's wedding I had the flu, bad, so I stuck though the ceremony, cocktail hour and dinner but left before toasts.

I think it's rude to leave before dinner is over, for any reason, but other than that it's up to the couple to communicate expectations, so long as there's not anything super unreasonable. We knew there were gonna be a lot of old people with early flights the next day so we wanted people to drive themselves if 10:30 was too late for them. Brides mother made a lot of calls to clarify this point with out of town guests.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 7, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Crazyweasel posted:

I’m the best man for a wedding many states away in July. Dreading that I need to phone him up and cancel. He is an old friend and we don’t speak often enough to have felt this out together since COVID blew up. I’m a new father and I just can’t justify the risk at this time...

I mean everyone has to know it’s a complete crapshoot for like the rest of the year, right? I still feel like an rear end in a top hat...

Weddings are #1 place to pick up coronavirus after hair and nail salons, as a new dad I don't blame you one bit for cancelling. I'm sure you won't be the first nor the last person to cancel, don't worry about it too much. Send them a really really nice gift with a handwritten letter though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our photographer & videographer both got us initial samples within 4 weeks and they shoot weddings multiple times a week 9/10 months a year.

I think if they are 2 months over a VERY generous 8 month turnaround (wow) you can send them a notice to perform and request the raw files at this point, and then get a full refund if the raws dont arrive. I'd ask for a 50% refund at this point regardless. That's insane. Maybe his mom died or something, but even then they could have paid to hand off the raw files to someone else to touch up and then upload somewhere.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

our backup plan and do a small ceremony on the original day and then do a bigger reception later, once we can actually let people breathe around each other again.

We got married last spring, but this seems like the smart plan currently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah shutting down venues is as much about limiting spread through casual contact as it is keeping people from licking each other's faces

Sober people are generally ok about distancing if there's a structure to it. There's stickers on the floor in my grocery store 6' apart, parks have 6' chalk circles etc

You fill everyone up with three scotch on the rocks and put them on a dance floor people pretty much instantly turn into super spreaders. We went out on a boat with some friends had some beers, later ended up down in the cabin having more beers. We lucked out, nobody had it/caught it, but it's very easy to let your guard down and fall back into old habits

Smart idea leaving the reception early

Wife is supposed to have a baby shower in mid September, we're planning on doing it outdoors in a park, and limiting it to ~15 people but still considering cancelling it