Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I was lucky enough to be a part of a really amazing wedding last summer. The bride and groom rented two houses on the top of a mountain in West Virginia, one for a week and the other for four days. The houses cost less than $2000 that was shared among the massive amounts of people staying in them, I want to say around 20-30 staying in the two, one two story the other three. The bride's sister was studying baking & pastry arts and brought along her friend from school (me.) Over the course of a month or so we planned a three course plated menu with stationed apps for 50 people for the rehearsal dinner + a buffet lunch for after the wedding the next day + the wedding cake. I worked out a budget for all the food and was able to buy everything for less than $500. The flowers were bought from an online retailer in big generic bunches, the bridesmaids spent the night before the wedding have a girls night in one of the hot tub rooms drinking, soaking and arranging flowers. The dress was bought for less than $500. DJ equipment was supplied by the grooms brother with mixed cd's by one of the bride's sisters. The wedding wasn't really officiated, there was a book of prose, poetry, etc. that was passed down the wedding party with each member coming to the front and reading a page and the final blessing was given by the bride's great uncle. Pictures were taken by a close friend who's a professional photographer. I've been to some expensive ($200/head) weddings, but this one was by far the most amazing one.

So all in all I guess what I'm saying is that with intense planning (seriously intense thorough forethought) a wedding can be amazing on a strict budget. Every purchase we made was carefully thought over and we saved tons of money. Use your connections to your advantage (within reason of course.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I don't understand that concept. If I'm going to tell someone they have to wear a certain thing, then I should have to pay for it. You're already laying down thousands of dollars for a party, why not an extra grand to pay for your girls dresses. At least a broke dude can rent a tux and won't have to lay down $500+.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Even as a dude I was pretty jealous that one of my friends was in a wedding and got an absolutely amazing free black vera wang out of the deal.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
If I were getting married I would absolutely want to wear contacts. You can see everything so much clearer with the added bonus of not having to bother with your glasses once the tears start.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
It's definitely a bad idea to make your own baked goods as the bride, unless you are a serious professional. However in any case you can bake your cakes ahead of time and freeze them well wrapped until you need them. The one caveat with cupcakes is that you will need to use foil liners so that you don't have soggy paper liners when they defrost. You can also make fantastic proper buttercream in advance and freeze it as well. Two days before the wedding just pull everything to come to temp and the day before you can finish them all off.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
If you want "tablescapes" you have to pay for them.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

marauderthirty posted:

We have no desire to spend $25/plate or however much it normally costs for some fancy garbage that we wouldn't normally eat otherwise

You'd be hard pressed to get fancy garbage for $25/head. I couldnt tell you how many times I've put out fancy garbage for $250/head.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
For my friends wedding, his mother alone has sent out 350 invites. That's without his father's guests, his guests, his wife's guests, or his wife's mother's and father's guests.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

At the same time, there is not a worse time to make ill-conceived large purchases than right before your own wedding.

Again, would be all for it if he wasn't saying how tight his budget is and everything.

So by this logic the bride's wedding dress is an ill conceived large purchase?

Some people like looking nice and wearing nice clothes. I don't understand everyone complaining that he might only wear it once when that is literally what 98% of brides do every single day. And that is for gowns that cost thousands and thousands of dollars. And as someone who works in events in NYC, the opportunities to wear a tux are actually rather plentiful here.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I've been looking :( and haven't found one. Maybe I can get a knife cover to get engraved?

Any place that does engraving will engrave a knife, its a pretty standard issue thing to do if you have one of those "Things Remembered" kiosks.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Rurutia posted:

The image posted doesn't say $30 per person for the first hour. It says $30 per person, per hour. So I think it's $30 + $39*4 per person for 5 hours.

It's worded poorly. You pay an initial charge and the smaller charge every hour after the first one.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

zakharov posted:

Thanks to all for replying to my first question.

On a 1-10 scale, how dumb would I be to go with a caterer sight unseen? Our venue is holding a date for 10 days before we have to send the deposit. They have an exclusive list of caterers, and one of them offers great value (for NYC anyway) and has rave reviews all over the place that don't seem to be written by robots. However, we may not be able to get down for a tasting before the 10 day window is up. Would I be making a huge mistake?

Who is the caterer?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

mitztronic posted:

I got married in Black Rock City, NV on Sept 1st. it was the most beautiful thing I've ever been apart of.

Killed it. Congratulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Chessna posted:

Does anyone have experience with booking a block of hotel rooms for weddings? We'll probably have about 40 out of town guests and I know a few are bringing pets (on the trip, not to the wedding). The hotel we're planning on staying in allows pets and is a decent price. The only other hotel that allows pets and that's less expensive is the Econo lodge... Which I really don't want to put on the invites (Hey, I've stayed there! I just feel odd reserving rooms there). I've heard you're suppose to give two hotel options, do you guys think that's really necessary? It'd be different if we were paying $300/night with 100+ guests but this isn't the case.

Two beautiful ceremonies!

If you're paying for it, just do the one. If the bill is on them it's considerate to have another option