Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

We are planning to get married next year around May, generally how far in advance is it a good idea to start booking stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

tvb posted:

A short wedding story, and advice for the broke guys like me.

I just got married on December 18th. My fiancee and I are both college students who had been engaged over 2 years. We were going to have to finance the entire wedding ourselves, which as we found out, is pretty much impossible for people under our circumstances.

So we said to hell with it. Our wedding was to be in May 2009, and an event that was supposed to be one of the happiest of our lives was something we couldn't even stand to think about anymore. We decided to elope.

We booked a [relatively] cheap trip to New York City, where we stayed for a week as our honeymoon/Christmas gift to each other. Our first day there we applied for our marriage license, and 24 hours later we were married in jeans at City Hall. We hired a super-cheap amateur photographer to follow us for a few hours, and it was perfect.

If you're in a tough situation with the wedding planning — you're young, you have no money, your family isn't supportive, etc - I cannot stress enough that eloping is wonderful. Our ceremony was intimate, romantic, and very personal despite what most might expect to the contrary. Looking back, for two people who so closely rely on one another, I honestly can't imagine doing it any other way, even if we'd had the means. I'm not saying that this is for everyone, or that having a lavish or expensive or traditional wedding is unwise. But I can definitely say that if you and your significant other have ever considered it, it isn't something you're likely to regret.

I wish we could do something like that. :(

Our wedding day is rapidly approaching (2nd of May) and while it's not massive compared to the weddings of some people I know, it is much larger and more expensive than initially hoped.

Still given that my fiancee is Greek we are doing well to only have 150 guests.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Chemmy posted:

Well it's not that uncommon. We paid a flat fee for our open bar at our wedding and I'll be encouraging all of my friends to drink all they can when it's close to last call.

Same here, our wedding is in two days (OH GOD TWO DAYS TO GO) and we have paid a flat fee per person for the drinks. Whether they have 1 or 10 drinks we will be paying the same price for them so I am encouraging everyone to enjoy themselves. :)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

LittleCat posted:

Also: Senor Tron, good luck!

Thanks. :) I have been lurking this thread for months but haven't really posted in it much. It's been an interesting preparation to say the least, I will have to do a post about our experiences when I have time to get it all down.