Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Thanks, Krakkles. The ground on the back of the motor looks fine, I've pulled at the braided steel and it hasn't corroded off at the motor. I have previously recrimped the end that goes to the firewall because that dude corrode through at one point and cause issues.

As far as the wiring harness, on the 99 I have, the IAC pigtail loops into the fuel injector harness and immediately routes around the firewall. I did not see any damage to that, but I'm going to break it open tomorrow and go through it more thoroughly to look for additional damage.

Thank you for the information about the ebay vendor. If I have to go that route, I'll see if they have what I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

2000 Cherokee, blows air fine but never gets hot. (At best it’s “slightly warmer than ambient”)

Heater core? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Krakkles posted:

2000 Cherokee, blows air fine but never gets hot. (At best it’s “slightly warmer than ambient”)

Heater core? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Heater valve, heater valve cable, blend door?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Heater valve, heater valve cable, blend door?
Looks like 97+ doesn’t have a heater valve, and I’m assuming that takes the cable with it. Blend door actuator looks like a good possibility - checking that out. Thank you!

Edit: Ding ding ding! I pulled it out, keyed on, it clicks (but doesn't move) while dial is set to hot, stops clicking when set to cold.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 3, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's a 99+ improvement - 97 and 98 got the same bullshit push pull cable that 96- did, just updated a little. The electric one fails sometimes but at least it's pretty easy to fix IIRC, you slap a new one in. Careful taking the screws out, I seem to recall the plastic is pretty brittle these days and one of the screws isn't very easy to find, feel around for it before just yanking on things.

Just set a personal record - an aw4 output seal I bought for my white 96 XJ in January 2010 just got put in the trans I'm about to swap into my blue 88 MJ. Was only on the shelf for 11 years...

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
Just as a follow-up, I haven't found anything broken/damaged in the harness. Going to see if a new PCM resolves this issue I'm having.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
New PCM on and my Jeep idles. For about three minutes worth of drive time. The idle started climbing and I shut it down only to realize I had thrown the old IAC back in. Swapped out the IAC for the one I had previously purchased that made no difference and the idle improved significantly. Took about a mile worth of driving to get back to ~800rpm idle. The fuel gauge immediately came back as well.

Krakkles, thanks for the vendor recommendation. A+ so far.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nice! Yeah, they seemed very on top of stuff, I was very happy with that purchase.

My old PCM turned out not to be the problem, of course, but now I've got the new one from them in the Jeep and a spare of questionable value in the garage. (Questionable because the odometer is, I believe, set by the PCM, and CARB will lose their poo poo if my car at some point loses 30k miles between tests, but ... at least if something happens, I can get it back up and running quickly?)

That heater blend door appears to have been the problem - when I put the new one in, it moved as expected. I absolutely could not get the plastic gear that interfaces between the actuator and the blend door out, but it still worked, soooo ... whatever. Thanks, sharkytm!

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Krakkles posted:

Nice! Yeah, they seemed very on top of stuff, I was very happy with that purchase.

My old PCM turned out not to be the problem, of course, but now I've got the new one from them in the Jeep and a spare of questionable value in the garage. (Questionable because the odometer is, I believe, set by the PCM, and CARB will lose their poo poo if my car at some point loses 30k miles between tests, but ... at least if something happens, I can get it back up and running quickly?)

That heater blend door appears to have been the problem - when I put the new one in, it moved as expected. I absolutely could not get the plastic gear that interfaces between the actuator and the blend door out, but it still worked, soooo ... whatever. Thanks, sharkytm!

ODO is kept in the cluster. I don't think the PCM keeps a copy of milage. My 2001 was a victim of a cluster swap/odo rollback. Cluster shows 160k but its more 240k. Car fax showed it going to auction at 210k and the next register was 120k. I've used every scan tool I could get my hands on to see if the PCM could tell me the true mileage and haven't been able to yet.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 15, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's actually in both (according to my jtec tuning guy), but the one in the ECU is irrelevant except possibly if emissions scanning gets it, but I don't think it does. There are functions in the Chrysler dealer tools (DRB3 and similar) that can do ECU to panel and panel to ECU copies.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I have an '01 XJ, 4.0L Laredo (forget the Transfer case name but it's the one with everything from 2WD to 4-Lo) and it seems like the fuel filler neck has gone bad (Large EVAP leak code and gas pisses out ot the tank after filling to a certain point). Does anyone know the part # for the fuel filler neck? I can't figure out what it is on Rockauto.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Should be under fuel and air -> fuel tank filler neck.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

kastein posted:

It's actually in both (according to my jtec tuning guy), but the one in the ECU is irrelevant except possibly if emissions scanning gets it, but I don't think it does. There are functions in the Chrysler dealer tools (DRB3 and similar) that can do ECU to panel and panel to ECU copies.

I might have to see if I can track down someone local with a dealer tool access. I'd really love to know the actual mileage on my 2001.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I forget where you are, but he and his business partner are in/around the El Segundo area.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My wife "inherited" for better words, a 2014 Wranger with the lovely 3.6 V6. It's currently puking oil everywhere. A quick search shows the oil filter/cooler housing cracks and requires removing the UIM. Is there anything I should do "while I have it apart"? Any other seals/gaskets to change?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

the spyder posted:

My wife "inherited" for better words, a 2014 Wranger with the lovely 3.6 V6. It's currently puking oil everywhere. A quick search shows the oil filter/cooler housing cracks and requires removing the UIM. Is there anything I should do "while I have it apart"? Any other seals/gaskets to change?

Our 2016 JKU did this in 2017 lol Chrysler. To be fair, the dealer covered it under warranty with quick turnaround and I never had any other problems with it.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
Did some air system work on my CJ7 over the weekend.

I've had a york on board air setup for about 5 years, but never tied it to my air lockers. After a recent issue with the mini-compressor used for the lockers i decided to tie the two systems together.

Picked up the ARB manifold of a guy that wrecked his TJ and gave me a bunch of extra ARB stuff he had (around 50' of tubing, bunch of the BSPT fittings, and a few spare solenoids) for like $35 a few years ago (thanks dude!)

What i did here was tie in the york (on the pass side) with some 1/4" yellow tubing from mcmaster and a set of check valves, then i plugged the one port of the ARB compressor's mini-manifold that's built into it and ran a stub line to the manifold (there's a check valve in line too)

This means that either air system can run my lockers, and neither of them can backfeed the whole system or if one fails i can use the other and not worry about leaks:

Dacheat fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 25, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love it.

I wish there was some form of OBA between "electric compressor" and "York". Something engine driven but much smaller than a York so that you wouldn't need to re-engineer the entire belt drive system, just use a second belt or put it in place of the idler or something.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That gives me an idea, you could pretty easily run a small compressor off the serpentine belt if you just rode it on a convenient spot instead of actually getting any belt wrap, kinda like the old bicycle headlight wheel powered generators. You'd need to put some kind of a clutch and pressure sensor on it or an overpressure blow-off valve though.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love it.

I wish there was some form of OBA between "electric compressor" and "York". Something engine driven but much smaller than a York so that you wouldn't need to re-engineer the entire belt drive system, just use a second belt or put it in place of the idler or something.

Hydraulic? Tee off the power steering like some of the superwinches back in the day.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

That gives me an idea, you could pretty easily run a small compressor off the serpentine belt if you just rode it on a convenient spot instead of actually getting any belt wrap, kinda like the old bicycle headlight wheel powered generators. You'd need to put some kind of a clutch and pressure sensor on it or an overpressure blow-off valve though.

I may have daydreamed about (but never gone any further) the idea of starting with a four-stroke weed whacker engine, so you have an oiled crank case with good air cooling capability. Ditch the cam, replace the head with a flat piece with two reed valves in it, stick an A/C clutch on the now-input-shaft.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That's honestly not a bad idea at all. You could probably use a much smaller clutch than that to improve packaging, too, wonder if there are any good options for pirating one from. Maybe an air injection pump off something?

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

kastein posted:

That's honestly not a bad idea at all. You could probably use a much smaller clutch than that to improve packaging, too, wonder if there are any good options for pirating one from. Maybe an air injection pump off something?

Fab Rats on youtube mentioned using a 2 cylinder AC compressor off a 60s Chrysler.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rifles posted:

Fab Rats on youtube mentioned using a 2 cylinder AC compressor off a 60s Chrysler.

That's probably a York compressor. They're great, just expensive and large.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's probably a York compressor. They're great, just expensive and large.

Looking into it, it's an RV2 aircon compressor which is the same thing on my Polara. It's a v-twin piston pump with its own sump. I could see it being pretty drat good.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What’s this thing under my steering column?

While working on something else, key on, that thing was painfully hot. Which seems wrong.

(2000 Jeep Cherokee 4x4,4.0,Auto)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Steering and shifter interlock solenoid. Not sure how hot they're supposed to get but they do warm up.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Works for me - thank you. I'll measure the temp next time I turn it on, but it's still working and I don't need more crap to fix.

I've been working on something that I want to post updates about, but I keep finding other poo poo. Upside, fixing poo poo, downside, I'm tired of finding poo poo to fix!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Upside, fixing poo poo, downside, I'm tired of finding poo poo to fix!

:hmmyes:

My TJ turned off its CEL for the evap leak today. The code still exists if I pull it in Torque but the light is off and all OBD2 status monitors say "ready". I have no idea why but if it stays off through the summer I am getting it emissioned the second I get the renewal notice in my hands.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Anyone know any good dashcams for 2006 model wranglers? I have a soft top and I'm looking for a good quality dashcam that also has a rear facing camera anything under $500 is ideal. From what I've heard some are better than others with wranglers because of the wiring required but I don't really know where to start.

Also looking to install a touch screen stereo and looking for suggestions on that as well if anyone has ideas on what would fit well.

Any work done would be by an actual mechanic since I'm bad at pretty much all mechanical stuff and price more or less isn't a concern as long as it's not absurdly costly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you wanting to record the interior, or out the rear view? If the latter it seems like you'd need a dashcam that can be mounted to the rear rollbar, which would be unusual since most are meant to just stick on glass in some manner. Wiring-wise it seems like you could easily tuck the wiring from the front cam to the rear (in that scenario) underneath the padding for the rollbar. Wiring from the front camera to the fuse box is pretty trivial, especially since you actually have some interior trim to hide the wire behind.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you wanting to record the interior, or out the rear view? If the latter it seems like you'd need a dashcam that can be mounted to the rear rollbar, which would be unusual since most are meant to just stick on glass in some manner. Wiring-wise it seems like you could easily tuck the wiring from the front cam to the rear (in that scenario) underneath the padding for the rollbar. Wiring from the front camera to the fuse box is pretty trivial, especially since you actually have some interior trim to hide the wire behind.

There are lots of "backup cams" that go on the spare mount, around the brake light. Haven't seen many of the recording cams that way, but haven't really looked, either.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Car-DVR...4E44T3BZWJA8HZT

Apparently automotive DVRs are totally a thing, although this doesn't have RCA inputs as I thought. Not sure what cameras look like there.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 23, 2021

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
Swapped the H1 steering box in my CJ7 with a PSC big bore as the sector shaft bearings were going after only 7500mi.

I'm getting tired of re-manufactured garbage:

Old vs new:

And of course the 5 year old bourgenson steering shaft was hosed so that's another $250-ish to replace that, lower column bearing is shot as well:

Any clue how i can get that remaining inner race off? might be dremel territory, can't get a puller or die grinder in there as it's under the brake booster.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's only like 6 bolts and a few screws and connectors to pull the column and do it on the bench - I'd go that route probably. The most annoying part was the 4 bolts at the firewall plate.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I need some advice on the lift kit for my 2016 JKUR. I got this Rubicon Express 3.5" kit Part RE7145M but the high-steer kit was on backorder, and it's still not available anywhere I can find online. There are places that list it in stock, but when I have called them to actually have them check their shelf, they all reply they actually don't have it on hand. There were a few on eBay, and I ordered a couple, only to be met with refund emails and they don't have them in stock.

The high steer kit is this one, Part RE2621.

My question is, can I use a high-steer kit from another manufacturer? AEV has this one and this place looks like they've got several. Am I missing something, or do I need to go with the RE part to match the rest of the lift?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You can absolutely use a different brand, just make sure it's sized appropriately / the geometry matches. (Probably something like: 'for lifts between 3" and 5"')

My lift is assembled from far more than two brands.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Replaced lower control arms, track bar, drag link/ends, tie rods, steering stabilizer and sway bar bushings and end links in the 04 wj.

One side for that lower control arm was a PITA even with the come along. Given a couple mishaps it has had doesn't surprise me.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Could too-high-wattage bulbs cause my high beams to not work, while the low beams are fine, or do I just have bad bulbs? Low beams work normally, high beam switch turns the lights off.

(2000 Cherokee, has the Putco headlight harness)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

How much above normal wattage did you go? Checked fuses and/or for power at the bulb connector?