Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Polish posted:

Any tips on buying tires.. cause apparently I am clinicly retarted, and don't know the secret to buying stuff.

http://www.tirerack.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

leica posted:

Could I get some opinions on all terrain tires? I have a 99 XJ, live in western New York, so I need very good snow traction. I also manage a campground so I'm on dirt/gravel roads a lot and occasionally go off road. So far I'm considering:

1) BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K/O
2) Firestone Destination A/T
3) Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

I'm leaning towards the Firestones since they're the highest rated and cheapest out of the three at $81 each compared to the others around $105 each. Also I'm wondering how wide I can go on the stock wheels. It came stock with 215's but currently has 225's. Can I go up to 235's for a wider patch without problems? Or am I just better off with 215's for better MPG and cheaper tire?

As another WNY goon I have to say the BFG AT T/A K/O have never failed me in the snow with my Cherokee. They performed amazing the the October Storm a few years back.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

autophreak posted:

As another WNY goon I have to say the BFG AT T/A K/O have never failed me in the snow with my Cherokee. They performed amazing the the October Storm a few years back.

For a mixed use on pavement/off road tire, I'll echo the BFG AT's. They're the only manufacturer that seems to be on spec with larger sized tires.

I have 37" A/T's on my Humvee and had it through 10,000 miles on the current set, about 7,000 miles of pavement, and 3,000 miles of rocks, desert, snow and sand and they've held up very well with very even wear for 7000 lb truck. No chunks missing and they balance very very easily. It's no wonder the Military is dumping bad year and switching to a military version of the BFG Baja T/A race tire.

I can only imagine how much better they'll hold up on something that weighs half as much.

I had interco's and goodyears that were out of round half the time or needed a ton of weights to balance at 37"-42" sizes. Of course if you are building a full time trail truck no one gives a poo poo abut balance, but if you are mixing in pavement use it helps.

I wound up getting the tires at American Tire/Discount Tire, free mounting, free rotations and I picked up an extended warranty on top of the 50,000 mile factory warranty.

I had MTR's on my old jeep which were also a nice tire but it tends to align more to a MT tire then an AT.

Next time I think I may go with the BFG KM2.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 2, 2008

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Polish posted:

I am running around looking for the BFgoodrich KO A/T.. and.. buying tires blows. I've been all around, and no one has the tires. When I ask if they can order the tires, everyone says they will give me a call.

..I still have not recieved a call. Any tips on buying tires.. cause apparently I am clinicly retarted, and don't know the secret to buying stuff.
All of the Discount Tires in town have them in stock all of the time. I don't know about where you live but around here everyone buys those tires for their trucks...but that might be because the BFG truck tire factory is in a neighboring town.

Anyway I have had the BFG A/T TO KO 235/75 for about a year and they have not shown any signs of wear. They aren't great in mud, but you won't find any tires that are without going to mud paddles. As for loose gravel/dirt and snow they are amazing. I have driven around in about a foot of snow in 4 wheel high and it drove like the it was on dry pavement. You will rarely need to even use 4WD with those tires. They even do suprisingly well on dry and wet pavement, they are pretty amazing tires and I recommend them for anyone who wants a do it all truck tire.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, I'm going to go with the BFG's, but what size is more beneficial to a STOCK XJ? 215's or 235's? They aren't available in 225 at least at tirerack.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
Get the 235's, or even go up another size to 30x9.50x15, they will fit on a stock XJ, my friend's mom DD's a 2001 XJ with 30" michelins. I've even driven around a stock XJ with 265/75/16's, but I wouldn't really recommend that.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
A few pics from the Jeepin' campin' hikin' trip I did over the holiday weekend. Nothing super exciting and no action shots (most pics were from our mountain climbing).

The Rubi and the view from camp.

The next morning I awoke to find my balls in my stomach and this on the Jeep:

Yes, that reads 35 degrees. In August. The weather was partly sunny with random snow flurries. In August.

It was so cold, I had to turn the heater on to defrost both the breakfast eggs and my friend.

The Rubi with the false-summit we hiked. The real summit is behind it and really not much further - an easy climb. Just under 7000 feet elevation.

Just a note. On the way back down the trail, I proceeded to test just how low 1st gear, 4-Lo is. The Rubi climbed a 45 degree slope of loose dirt and rock on just idling, and no wheel slip at all. I was impressed.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
^^ SWB is the way to go with the JK.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

leica posted:

Ok, I'm going to go with the BFG's, but what size is more beneficial to a STOCK XJ? 215's or 235's? They aren't available in 225 at least at tirerack.

...they do make 225.. right?

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs/all-terrain-t-a-ko/44.html

See.. I'm not nuts.

And I live outside of Philadelphia.. plenty of trucks and bad weather.. so you would think those tires would be around.

Maybe I will stop looking for 225/70/16 and start looking for the 235/75/15.. getting desperate.. Sam's club and Walmart tonight baby!

edit:..derr.. I have a 2000 XJ Classic.. which comes with 16" rims.. Something tells me a 15" tire will not work.

edit2: Just got back from Sam's Club.. they ordered the tires for me.. and will put them on Sept 12th. Got the 225/70/16 TA KO A/T.. 900 bucks for five installed.... ...900 bucks.. time to drink away my debt.

Polish fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 3, 2008

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

ZippySLC posted:

^^ SWB is the way to go with the JK.

SWB JK is a pretty nice setup, my friend had to special order one and wait 2-3 months for it to show up from the factory. On the upside he got the exact colors and options he wanted. Apparently only 15% of the jk production run so far are SWB.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

BigKOfJustice posted:

SWB JK is a pretty nice setup, my friend had to special order one and wait 2-3 months for it to show up from the factory. On the upside he got the exact colors and options he wanted. Apparently only 15% of the jk production run so far are SWB.

I was positive I was going to have to order one from the factory, but I was lucky. They actually had one with everything I wanted sitting on the lot. Only one though.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Special.

I went to remove the spark plugs to check them... and my spark plug socket won't fit down in the wells.

Also, I may be retarded, or misheard him, but I could have sworn he said platinum plugs AND wires... the 2000 doesn't have regular wires, or a distributor, and it didn't occur to me even posting here.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Specialer.

Driving down the road tonight, it started to bog down every time I'd take pressure off the gas pedal (it's an automatic, by the way), like it was about to stall. Came to a red light.... it stalled on me. So I had to push it off the road and coax it into starting again, which it didn't want to until I put it in neutral and tried. Then, I had to hold slight pressure on the gas pedal to keep it running, or it'd stall again. Then it threw a cylinder 6 misfire code (Always have my scanner handy when I drive it) which I cleared, as one problem at a time is enough.

Fortunately, it stayed running long enough to get home, maybe a mile drive, with a few stop signs along the way, without stalling on me.

Any ideas what might have caused this to happen, or what I could do to fix it?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Aran posted:

Driving down the road tonight, it started to bog down every time I'd take pressure off the gas pedal (it's an automatic, by the way), like it was about to stall.

Mine's a manual and it's doing the same thing when I'm sitting at lights, sometimes even when I'm on a highway if I let off the gas it starts to sputter. A friend mentioned adjusting how it idles....?

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
I have a 1995 Grand Cherokee v8 with up country suspension on it. Right now it needs new shocks as well as brakes. So what are good replacement shocks it does go off road every once in a while and I dont really care about ride quality. I have replaced some suspension parts on a bmw before but I dont believe it will be too similar, will i need any special tools or are there any write ups online?

I also need to replace the pads as well as rotors. I might need to get new pistons. Should i just head over to whatever auto parts store is closest and order those parts or is there something else I should know? How easy is it to replace the emergency brake? Is it the kind where there are drums in the back rotors or what?
I am going to try and find a manual and do this in a weekend. Any advice would be very appreciated

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

What are you fellows thoughts on the Jeep Commander?

I had a '79 waggy with a 360 and quadratrac and I loved it as much as a man can love a vehicle. But, with the age of the machines, and the sudden revival of buying them and modding them as cheap 4wds, I cant find a decent one for a good price.

So, I started to think that maybe, a used commander with all the fun stuff (v8 QT2) would be just as good, but, have all the creature comforts a man could desire.

This rig wont drive much, and when it does itll be either for my off-road amusement, or because its too cold/wet for me to ride my bike to work and back on.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Where do you live that you can't find a good Wagoneer? I bought my 76 for $900, and I see a good number for around that. I kinda wish I held off on buying this one because there have been others I think I would have liked more.

How serious are you going to get offroad? Doesn't the Commander have IFS?

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

I think it does have IFS.

Im not going to be doing crazy stuff, The worst I did on my waggy was sink it in a 4 foot deep mudhole.

Im in Oklahoma.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I found out today that the brake lights on my YJ do not work. It's kind of worrisome wondering how long that was true before another driver told me.

The turn signals and hazards work, so it's probably the switch. Hopefully it won't be too much of a bitch.

Itch.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

MetalClawWolf posted:

Im in Oklahoma.

If you want a waggy Texas is full of them. I always see them for sale around Houston for no more than a few thousand. Try the Houston and Dallas Craigslist if you really want one. It is on my next vehicle list, so I look them up quite a bit.

Not mine, but this should help you make up your mind.

Also, is anyone opposed to me doing a small picture dump of various cool Jeep pictures I have assembled over the years?

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 9, 2008

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 9, 2023

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Sindow posted:

I'd love to see your collection. That wagon right there is beautiful even with that fake wood paneling. :3:

One request is good enough.

If I remember correct this is two italian guys trying to get through Africa or the Middle East and were having some transmission problems.

Click here for the full 1544x1024 image.

A group of Cherokees in Arizona I think. This is why I bought my Cherokee. I will be taking it to Big Bend in October and hopefully over more of the Southwest.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

More to come when waffleimages starts playing nice again.

Part 2. Older is better.

This is an Kaiser M715. It is the coolest thing related to jeep. One of my dreams is to swap a diesel in to one.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

This is one in Alaska

Click here for the full 640x506 image.

This is an old Warn advertisement. Photoshopped with a razor blade in a dark room.

Old FSJ in the snow.

Click here for the full 712x1024 image.

Very clean Cherokee with a cool trailer.

Click here for the full 1010x758 image.

Mostly a Jeep.

Click here for the full 1416x1605 image.

And one last one of a Cherokee with Mattracks.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 9, 2008

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

What is the top speed of those Jeeps with the mattracks?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

tonedef131 posted:

What is the top speed of those Jeeps with the mattracks?

I believe the tracks max out at 40 MPH. they might make some that are rated for higher speeds. I recommend checking out their site just because it is a cool product.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 9, 2023

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Sindow posted:

Those Jeeps with the mattracks are looking pretty good. My favorite is that old ad though, it's amazing what you could do without photoshop back in the day.

Yeah. If I remember correctly they just took a picture of a fire road with the truck and slowly cut out the edge. There was a big argument on the forum I got it from about if it was real or not.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Obviously fake because otherwise it would be driving straight up the side of the mountain.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Obviously fake because otherwise it would be driving straight up the side of the mountain.
That sounds like the Land Rover ad where they showed a 90 winching itself up the face of a dam.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

InitialDave posted:

That sounds like the Land Rover ad where they showed a 90 winching itself up the face of a dam.

How about the Rover in The Gods Must Be Crazy winching itself up in the tree?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Hey my buddy's Cherokee just got out of the shop. New fuel pump and head gasket. We are lookin' for some new trails to hit up in the Boston/Framingham/Worcester area, any ideas?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

How about the Rover in The Gods Must Be Crazy winching itself up in the tree?

Best scene in any movie ever is the land rover sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t127UCrtvLw

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

MetalClawWolf posted:

I'm not going to be doing crazy stuff, The worst I did on my waggy was sink it in a 4 foot deep mudhole.

That considered, yes, you could almost certainly get away with a Commander if you want one.

By the numbers, you're looking at a vehicle roughly equivalent to a stock Waggy, plus about an inch more running ground clearance. Find one with QD2 and you'll have traction to spare (though QT2 is capable itself).

But if what you really want is a Wagoneer of some kind, the Commander isn't going to fill that niche. It'll get you the same places, sure, but it's not the same vehicle.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Just ordered the TPS for my cherokee. Hopefully I can start getting her squared away for the Big bend trip.

Now I would like to introduce you to the cummins diesel powered Jeep.
http://www.armyjeeps.net/2000special/2000_special_wrangle.htm

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

Atticus_1354 posted:

Just ordered the TPS for my cherokee. Hopefully I can start getting her squared away for the Big bend trip.

Yes please.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Anyone have Dynomax exhaust? If so, what kind and how ricey does it sound.. youtube does no justice.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma
Just bought a 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo at Carmax last night. 29k miles and incredibly clean. I know this is a Jeep thread, but carmax is a great way to buy a car.

I paid pretty much dead-on KBB, and they gave me better financing than I got with my bank. I was in and out in 90 minutes.

Going camping for a week starting this sunday...can't wait!

this is it:

http://tiny.cc/mQpyr

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

One of the guys over at Comancheclub did this as well. There is a writup on the 4bta swap forums somewhere, but I don't have it bookmarked.

Here is a thread with some pictures:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573575

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tiananman posted:

Just bought a 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo at Carmax last night. 29k miles and incredibly clean. I know this is a Jeep thread, but carmax is a great way to buy a car.

So how are the new Grand Cherokees rated? Any problems with them at all? I'd like to know how the new motor/drivetrain combo fairs.

I've been interested in them since they seem to be pretty drat cheap, gotta love domestic depreciation. I was originally looking at minivans, but there aren't any worth a poo poo at that price. The New Grands look awesome too.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

leica posted:

So how are the new Grand Cherokees rated? Any problems with them at all? I'd like to know how the new motor/drivetrain combo fairs.

I've been interested in them since they seem to be pretty drat cheap, gotta love domestic depreciation. I was originally looking at minivans, but there aren't any worth a poo poo at that price. The New Grands look awesome too.

I haven't heard anything catastrophic - though I am a little wistful that they replaced the straight 6, but at least they replaced it with something that had more hp and torque. I don't have any illusions that it will be quite as bulletproof, but it's under warranty for another year, which might give me enough time to work through any major problems.

The only other cherokee I've driven was an early 90s beast that I drove for work a few years ago, but it's pretty much night and day in terms of handling, the interior, even visibility. But that cherokee needed new everything when I was driving it. I don't even know if it had a suspension.

The one thing I noticed while driving this morning is how quiet it is - even compared to my gf's hyundai accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

Atticus_1354 posted:

This is an old Warn advertisement. Photoshopped with a razor blade in a dark room.

Edited or not, I'd swear it's Black Bear Pass in Colorado. I have photos of my grandfather in a section no more than 12-18" wider in his Cherokee (before the trail was closed)...

OneOverZero fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 10, 2008