Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ugh.....I figured out what the clunking in the left rear was

:ughh:

Are....are you missing all but 1 lugnut?! Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The PO put new brakes on so I'm assuming he used one lug nut to get the wheel on and forgot to put on the rest.

Can't be too mad about it because I've done it myself. At least it was short ride home. Can't believe I didn't notice it tho.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ugh.....I figured out what the clunking in the left rear was

:ughh:

:stonk:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've done worse, at least you got to it while it was a quick fix :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are people still using Rotella in their Jeeps these days? May have to go get some.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I use Mobil-1, but it's entirely overkill. I have positive memories of Rotella in my Miata. It's great for quieting down rattles.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Nothing but the cheapest (non-recycled) oil from walmart for my XJ. Just about 240k miles and going strong. :)

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Are people still using Rotella in their Jeeps these days? May have to go get some.

I run Rotella t6 5w40 in my XJ. Seems to keep it happy. Its not really that expensive at walmart.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pretty much nothing cheap on the market has the zinc levels that the obsessives like to see for flat-tappet engines. Given that we aren't seeing them dead of wiped cams left and right, I'm inclined to think it really isn't that big of a deal.

Run whatever's cheap and doesn't leak straight out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I run Walmart supertech and have no issues.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Messaged the PO about the *one* lug nut holding the left rear wheel on, his response:

PO posted:

All the lugs were on here and torqued to proper spec.
Do you have someone that doesn’t like you 😳

Umm how can you torque them when they aren't even on the drat vehicle lol

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Messaged the PO about the *one* lug nut holding the left rear wheel on, his response:

Umm how can you torque them when they aren't even on the drat vehicle lol

I guess he is trying to say someone took them off after you bought the car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

I guess he is trying to say someone took them off after you bought the car.

Yeah I know, but I felt the clunking driving it home, stupidly didn't even look for some reason, and then I parked it in my fenced in back yard so no one could have got to it anyway.

I didn't drive it again until this morning pulling it out of the back yard, and my dumb lizard brain finally said oh I better check the wheel :v:

[e] It's possible they were all on hand tight and four of them worked their way off i suppose, the last one was barely on I'm lucky I didn't lose the wheel while driving

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Welcome to old Jeeps, and the previous owners before you hahaha.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Speaking of possibly poor decisions, I'm going to go look at a GC tomorrow with 325k miles on it. I know I shouldn't, but the 175k mile one costs 60% more. How reliable were Hemis again?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

If I sold a car and forgot to tighten the lug nuts I would definitely tell the person I had torqued them to spec because I’m not going on Judge Mathis and having some printed out text confession waved in my loving face. :hmmno:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Took the jeep into Jeepetos, man this dude is a serious Jeep fanatic, runs his own shop and does everything by himself and has some serious rigs he takes to Moab and poo poo.

Anyway, he found out why my jeep seems to be bogging down when he went to try to push it in neutral and it wouldn't budge....Calipers are seized up :v:

Everything else has a clean bill of health tho which is good (he said I got a good deal), I'm paying him to do the diffs/trans/transfer case service because I don't really feel like doing that messy and stinky job on my back in 90+ degrees, and then I'll replace the calipers and brake fluid, steering stabilizer which is blown and all the shocks. Already have a set of 5 stock alloys with good tires lined up for $200 so then all I'll need is a bikini top and cab cover and this Jeep is good to go :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, at this point it's your Jeep, anything the PO has said or continues to say is worthless.

Also the "worse" I did? Hand tightened lug nuts. Still held without even clunking for 150 miles.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I get it and I'm not trying to sue the guy I was just hoping to get the other lug nuts from him :v:

I told him no worries, I'll go to Advance and get some lug nuts

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Picked these up for $200, the wheels are worth more than that alone and the tires are in great condition. And now the wheels will be correct with hub centric instead of lug centric and I won't die from the tires coming apart :v:

Replacing the calipers and brake hoses and it should be ready, can't wait to take it to the beach!

Question....I haven't taken the top off yet, but the header will work with a bikini top right? For some reason quadratec makes it seem like I need a header too :confused:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Some brands use a different style of header - Bestop has about 500 different options. Just make sure that the header you have is compatable and you'll be fine. If it's not, they're usually pretty cheap and easy to install.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ordered a bestop bikini top with header and a cab cover. Full top is going in the trash.

Replaced the front calipers and brake hoses and flushed the old fluid out. Everything is good now and the Jeep runs and drives great, just gotta replace the leaky steering damper and the shocks and it will be good for awhile I think.

Got pulled over in it today driving to the beach :v:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I used my winch for some pretty hard pulling and it got spooled back onto the drum pretty ugly. I unspooled it today and there are a few small kinks in the line but nothing broken.
It's a steel cable. People with winches using synthetic line - Does that poo poo fray easily? I have a kinetic/snatch rope and a couple of soft shackles that I've used less than a dozen times and they look like absolute poo poo. I can't imagine a synthetic winch line holding up any better than steel in hard-use scenarios. Whaddya think? I know they're better for safety, weight, looks, etc.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Astonishing Wang posted:

I used my winch for some pretty hard pulling and it got spooled back onto the drum pretty ugly. I unspooled it today and there are a few small kinks in the line but nothing broken.
It's a steel cable. People with winches using synthetic line - Does that poo poo fray easily? I have a kinetic/snatch rope and a couple of soft shackles that I've used less than a dozen times and they look like absolute poo poo. I can't imagine a synthetic winch line holding up any better than steel in hard-use scenarios. Whaddya think? I know they're better for safety, weight, looks, etc.

It wears but if you keep it clean or clean it after you get back (soak it in water and fabric softener), it lasts a lot longer than steel.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I ordered a cab cover and bikini top with header and it turns out I didn't need the header :v:

But when I took the header off to chuck the soft top, I noticed the weather strip underneath had silicone on the ends and it was separating (from the rubber), so I took the entire strip off and it was just gobs of silicone everywhere and it took me forever to get all the poo poo off. It looks like it was originally attached with double sided tape and someone just gobbed on the silicone to stop a leak apparently.

The rubber on the strip is still in good condition so I want to use it, should I go ahead and put another bead (not gobs) of silicone under it or use some new double stick tape? Is this a spot that tends to leak bad?

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Astonishing Wang posted:

Get an abrasion sleeve for it if it needs to go over rocks/trees/etc. Typically they come with a 10' sleeve, but you can prob get extra.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Whelp the Jeep got stuck good in a mud pit last weekend.
Now a winch, bumper, and a bunch of other gear are on the way.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Finally got my wrangler registered and the title transfer thanks to covid!

Can finally drive it now......The bikini top and cab cover combo is perfect for my needs, gently caress a full top.

Also ripped out the carpet and sold it for $50 :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How hot is the floor without it? My carpet is poo poo but I don't want my feet on / adjacent to bare sheet metal getting warmed by the exhaust.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My YJ didn't have carpet, and it was fine (as fine as a YJ could possibly be). My TJ's carpet was a really basic rug on top of the floorpan, and it would have soaked through with heat inside of 15 minutes if that was going to be an issue.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

How hot is the floor without it? My carpet is poo poo but I don't want my feet on / adjacent to bare sheet metal getting warmed by the exhaust.

There is some heat but it seems to be coming from the the firewall not the floor. It was noticeable with the carpet as well so no change really. Kind of a bummer, because in the summer here the last thing I need is engine bay heat seeping in on my loving feet. I wonder if bed liner will help with that....Or I have a bunch of sound deadener with foil on it that I could stick up under the floor and firewall maybe.

[e] after a bit of searching it looks like it probably is the exhaust (cat) producing the heat so I'm gonna try to put something up in there to shield it

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 8, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Check your shifter boots, mine were both ripped and it was like a blast of hot air coming straight out of the console towards my shorts.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

TotalLossBrain posted:

Whelp the Jeep got stuck good in a mud pit last weekend.
Now a winch, bumper, and a bunch of other gear are on the way.

Do you air down your tires?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Check your shifter boots, mine were both ripped and it was like a blast of hot air coming straight out of the console towards my shorts.

On a hunch I stuffed the floor vent with a rag and that helped quite a bit, I had a feeling it was blowing hot air out.

That being said tho, just got back from the beach and the trans tunnel was hot as hell, so I'm gonna try to put some of the sound deadener/insulation underneath. Of course there a skid plate in the way :argh:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Catalytic converters get "poo poo spontaneously bursts into flames due to temperature" hot, you know that, right?

If you're putting it inside the cabin, carry on, but if you're putting it on the outside / near the cat, please consider this very carefully.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

rifles posted:

Do you air down your tires?

No :downs:

It wouldn't have helped much, judging by a couple other guys who got stuck.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Catalytic converters get "poo poo spontaneously bursts into flames due to temperature" hot, you know that, right?

If you're putting it inside the cabin, carry on, but if you're putting it on the outside / near the cat, please consider this very carefully.

I wasn't planning on putting it anywhere near the cat, just in the trans tunnel.....Unless that's where the cat is lol I need to look again.

I've been reading that people with old Jeeps like mine with original cats reduced heat a lot by just putting a new cat in, so that's an option if it's not too expensive. I was gonna get a new exhaust from the cat back anyway.

[e] 150 for a new cat, not bad I might just have it put in with a new muffler

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 8, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On a hunch I stuffed the floor vent with a rag and that helped quite a bit, I had a feeling it was blowing hot air out.

That being said tho, just got back from the beach and the trans tunnel was hot as hell, so I'm gonna try to put some of the sound deadener/insulation underneath. Of course there a skid plate in the way :argh:

The skid plate also serves as the transfer case / transmission mount. If you need access around it, it is very much worth the time to pull the bolts and drop it (doing the transfer case linkage without the case or plate in the way was MUCH easier) but you'll have to support the back half of the drivetrain.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I would not put sound deadener on the underside of the floors anywhere, but certainly not by the exhaust and trans. It's basically rubberized tar right? It's going to get cooked and gravity is working against you, it'll sag onto stuff quickly. Putting it on the cabin side, even if it gets warm and squishy, gravity is on your side.

E: if you want a heat shield and the factory ones aren't cutting it, one of those double layer aluminum baking pans works great. Might have to get clever mounting it since Tek screws up into the floor will be strenuously objected to by any passengers :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Automotive Insanity › Jeep Thread: one of those double layer aluminum baking pans works great

Automotive Insanity › Jeep Thread: Tek screws up into the floor will be strenuously objected to by passengers

Tell me one of those fits the character limit