Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

kastein posted:

If you're near central Mass and can bring it to me, I have a 12 ton press. Any other goons near your area if not?

I appreciate the offer, a 12 ton press would sort me right out - unfortunately I am in North Texas.

No goons with a press I am aware of. It's a real bummer, most jobs you can kind of get away without having one, this is one of the rare exceptions where you really do just need a press. One of these years I'm going to buy a house so I can get one myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm stupid so don't listen to me, but could you use an auto parts store bearing puller + a propane torch to heat the thing it's pressed into? Then, freeze the new bearing before trying to press it in?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Haven't read this thread for a while but I've been thinking about saying goodbye to my 94 Renegade 4L after 15yr and getting a new Rubicon, which it seems will have to be an order through a dealer and a 21 since they're on those builds now.

Other than 0.1% chance of death wobble, what do I need to know? Am I trading a 230k mile reliable but leaky $500/yr maintenance vehicle, for something that's going to leave me stranded and at the dealer for maintenance every month?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Haven't read this thread for a while but I've been thinking about saying goodbye to my 94 Renegade 4L after 15yr and getting a new Rubicon, which it seems will have to be an order through a dealer and a 21 since they're on those builds now.

Other than 0.1% chance of death wobble, what do I need to know? Am I trading a 230k mile reliable but leaky $500/yr maintenance vehicle, for something that's going to leave me stranded and at the dealer for maintenance every month?

I have a 2019 Rubicon (4-door). I only upgraded from a 2016 Sport but it was still a huge upgrade both in off-road capability and features/comfort.
It pretty much just rolls right over whatever trail I point it at. It's immensely capable just stock. Air those 33's down and crawl over poo poo.
Electronic front/ rear lockers and sway bar disconnect, 8spd auto, and hill descent mode makes a lot of difficult looking stuff (deceptively) easy.
I have had it since May 2019 and put 20k miles on it, with at least 10% off that off-road. I've had zero problems with it. The tires are wearing alarmingly fast but I guess that's to be expected with my heavy trail use. I rotate them every 5k miles. Fuel efficiency is better than my 2016, but still laughably bad. You're not buying it for fuel efficiency.
Complaints:. It's big. So big that some trails around me can't be done in it without body damage.
Also, while it has nice features it's still behind the times.

Regarding death wobble: mines handles very nicely on road. I'm actually shying away from putting a modest 2 inch lift on it because I don't want to disturb that geometry at all. There are lift kits that have all the parts but they're super expensive.
The Rubicon supposedly fits 35" tires stock, but there are clearance problems at full flex so this sounds like a mall crawler solution. Kind of disappointed, I had been looking forward to lifting it a little but to be honest: it's already plenty tall on those 33's.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 10, 2020

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've had zero problems with it. The tires are wearing alarmingly fast but I guess that's to be expected with my heavy trail use. I rotate them every 5k miles. Fuel efficiency is better than my 2016, but still laughably bad. You're not buying it for fuel efficiency.
Complaints:. It's big. So big that some trails around me can't be done in it without body damage.
Also, while it has nice features it's still behind the times. ...
Many thanks. Tire rotation, proper inflation I can do. I get 18mpg now so I'm not expecting much change in efficiency (unless you're talking more like 10mpg on the highway).

The bigness was definitely noticeable, but I didn't crash it in the test drive, haha. I've been a few places where the 94 Renegade barely fit through, but it's certainly not a weekend occurrence. I'll just exercise "new paint job" caution for a while.

I'm hoping to place an order with a dealer here in the next month if things keep tracking in the right direction.

PS for size 2020 Rubicon seems only 5" wider but of course much longer. Amusing that the 0--60 time is better.
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/jeep/wrangler_yj/wrangler_yj_renegade/1994.html vs
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/2020/2912540/jeep_wrangler_4-door_rubicon_3_6_v6_6-speed.html

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 12, 2020

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Amusing that the 0--60 time is better.

Even just going from my 2016 to the 2019 (same 3.6L V6 engine), there is a very noticeable power difference all around. The new 8-spd auto Jeep put in really makes a difference.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 12, 2020

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Driving an 85 CJ-7 4cyl from New Mexico to Washington: day 1. We left this morning and made it to Green River, UT. It'll do 65 or 70 happily until the first suggestion of a hill, then it betrays its gutlessness. Froze our asses off until a stop in Cuba because we forgot to bring gloves and had to buy some. Tomorrow we're aiming for Idaho Falls, where I have a friend who will let us sleep in his basement and use his shower--and he's promised smoked meats.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Pham Nuwen posted:

Driving an 85 CJ-7 4cyl from New Mexico to Washington: day 1. We left this morning and made it to Green River, UT. It'll do 65 or 70 happily until the first suggestion of a hill, then it betrays its gutlessness. Froze our asses off until a stop in Cuba because we forgot to bring gloves and had to buy some. Tomorrow we're aiming for Idaho Falls, where I have a friend who will let us sleep in his basement and use his shower--and he's promised smoked meats.

Hell yeah, sounds like a good time. I'd like to take my YJ on a long road trip sometime.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Update on my XJ and the awesome grenaded fan bearing.

I never could find a mechanic willing to work on it so I called my old man, bugged him for a hand. We trailered it out to my family's shop. We got a press and all that good stuff.

Pressing out the old bearing was easy, except the flange that the fan mounts to had been kind of ... friction welded to the bearing shaft by the old bearings as they exited the building. So that flange is pretty hosed, but, meh, it's a Jeep - fan still bolts to it, it'll be fine. Just took a while to get it worked off the shaft, even with a 12 ton press. Aside from that, super easy. Everything else slid right apart and pressed together pretty much how you'd expect them to.

Results! My MPG was up over 1 MPG (About 1.2-1.3) on the drive back to my place, a CEL for emissions equipment went out, the hatch light switch (which has NEVER worked) started working, and my subwoofer is getting power again.

All from changing out a bearing.

I love my Jeep.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 14, 2020

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Day two of the jeep trip, we are in Idaho Falls after a grueling day thanks to several freeway segments. Luckily tomorrow is entirely freeway-free (unless we chose a quick 20 mile freeway bit first thing to speed our departure)

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Day two of the jeep trip, we are in Idaho Falls after a grueling day thanks to several freeway segments. Luckily tomorrow is entirely freeway-free (unless we chose a quick 20 mile freeway bit first thing to speed our departure)

CJ-7 on the freeway? You're braver than me. Even my XJ doesn't particularly like going 70-75.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PadreScout posted:

CJ-7 on the freeway? You're braver than me. Even my XJ doesn't particularly like going 70-75.

The worst part is the noise. It handles fine at 75 although even the slightest of hill will destroy momentum. I feel that I've regained some power after dropping from an average 6500 feet down to more like 4500 feet this afternoon, so it is handling hills better.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

The worst part is the noise. It handles fine at 75 although even the slightest of hill will destroy momentum. I feel that I've regained some power after dropping from an average 6500 feet down to more like 4500 feet this afternoon, so it is handling hills better.

That's kind of how mine is. I judge if a vehicle "likes" going high speed or revs or whatever by how quickly it sheds speed or RPM or whatever whenever I go to neutral inputs on my controls. The Jeep will power on up to 80-85 in a ...reasonable? amount of time. But then it's really loud from wind, the steering is not terribly precise at those speeds and the second I back off of the gas even a little it starts shedding speed like crazy. So I figure it doesn't like it much. 55? Oh man, it loves 55. It gets great mileage (relatively) and will just happily motor along at 55 all day long with no drama at all.

Then my Volvo c30 I had, it loved going ton up. Freaking every time I'd look at the speedo that thing would be trying to do a buck twenty. It just loved it. I eventually just started calling it "Volvo Speed"

Also - hows your trip going?

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 I just replaced the spark plugs and I am now getting a really rough idle and it sounds like it is misfiring. It sounds way worse when I shift into reverse or drive. I am not getting any check engine lights but I am getting some test failures in the Torque app. It looks like from trying to look through generic mode $06 data that it might be related to the O2 sensors and I want to make sure I am not crazy before throwing parts at it.

It also has 300K so I expect all parts to break all the time

TID $19 CID $01
Min-2422
Current- 2837

TID $1a CID $01
Min-6561
Current- 3970

TID $1c CID $01
Min-6561
Current 3970

The readings for the O2 Sensors were 1- 0.28V and 2- 0.96 they both varied a little bit.

I also replaced the air filter although I really hope that cant gently caress anything up very badly.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Kick-Puncher posted:

I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 I just replaced the spark plugs and I am now getting a really rough idle and it sounds like it is misfiring.

Did change the wires, too? Any chance they're not on the right plugs?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Oh, uh, update: made it to Washington on the third day. We drove from 7 a.m. (Mountain) to 10 p.m. (Pacific), the last few hours in the dark occasionally using a flashlight to check speed since the main dial bulb isn't wired up right. The Jeep did great except as we got close to Salmon, ID it developed a noisy exhaust leak... because the bolts connecting the manifold to the exhaust pipe were improperly tightened and had backed out over the previous two days. Once tightened down again, everything went fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

casque posted:

Did change the wires, too? Any chance they're not on the right plugs?

Yeah I would focus on this. Strong chance the wires didn't survive it if they were old, equally strong chance you either got one crossed or not clicked on all the way.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Kick-Puncher posted:

I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 I just replaced the spark plugs and I am now getting a really rough idle and it sounds like it is misfiring. It sounds way worse when I shift into reverse or drive. I am not getting any check engine lights but I am getting some test failures in the Torque app. It looks like from trying to look through generic mode $06 data that it might be related to the O2 sensors and I want to make sure I am not crazy before throwing parts at it.

What kind of plugs did you put in? I know for some older engines subbing out the coppers for longer lasting materials like Iridium or Platinum will make them run a lot worse. Copper sparks the best, or so I've been led to believe.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Oh, uh, update: made it to Washington on the third day. We drove from 7 a.m. (Mountain) to 10 p.m. (Pacific), the last few hours in the dark occasionally using a flashlight to check speed since the main dial bulb isn't wired up right. The Jeep did great except as we got close to Salmon, ID it developed a noisy exhaust leak... because the bolts connecting the manifold to the exhaust pipe were improperly tightened and had backed out over the previous two days. Once tightened down again, everything went fine.

Good luck, hope you're not getting smoked out too badly today. All of WA is bad right now

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Look at my dirt collection from the last 18 years :D

I'm hacking an inch out of the height to tuck the gas tank a little bit after the body lift opened up some room.

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

What kind of plugs did you put in? I know for some older engines subbing out the coppers for longer lasting materials like Iridium or Platinum will make them run a lot worse. Copper sparks the best, or so I've been led to believe.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I was trying to convince myself it wasn't the simplest solution. I have ordered new wires and I will see how those do. The old ones I think are close to 10 years old. I did replace the plugs with the copper core champions. They are the same as the type that was in there. There is a chance I switched two of the wires but I will double check that

Turns out I didn't just switch two wires I switched four of them. How did I do that? I don't know. I needed sleep more than I thought.

Kick-Puncher fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 18, 2020

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

PadreScout posted:

I appreciate the offer, a 12 ton press would sort me right out - unfortunately I am in North Texas.

No goons with a press I am aware of. It's a real bummer, most jobs you can kind of get away without having one, this is one of the rare exceptions where you really do just need a press. One of these years I'm going to buy a house so I can get one myself.

I see you got it figured out later on in the thread. Totally reminds of what its like to not have a press. When we rebuilt my buddys transmission for his 98 TJ, we bought a press from Harbor Freight. This is kinda sleazy but he returned it the next week and got all his money back.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I've been working on the jeep lately, trying to get it healthier. New radiator to start things off since mine had been brazed in 4 corners and I didn't trust it much.

After that I took off my old 1/8" skid plate and chucked it in the scrap pile. It fit over the stock skid plate and had gotten smooshed pretty good over the last 10 years. I cut out a piece of 3/16" steel to plate the bottom of the OEM skid. I drilled about 20 extra holes in the skid for plug welds and had it welded all around at the local shop. It's not the prettiest thing but I think it will do well enough and should be stronger than what was there before. It will certainly bounce around less. I also raised the skid an inch by taking an inch out of the mounting brackets to move the gas tank into the space created by my body lift. There's a nice thin gap above everything and a little more space below.

The next day I went to a buddies house and he helped me install the new lower shock mounts that I made. I put the ford 8.8 rear end together about 5 years ago, and didn't fully realize how much I screwed up the lower shock mounts until recently. These new mounts push the shocks out to clear the spring perches and axle tube, and are in the right spot for when we outboard the shocks next time. I still need to go cut off the old mounts so it's another funny looking part of the Jeep for a while.

Yesterday I finished up adding recovery points to the rear bumper. I only did this because I was already taking the bumper off to clean it up, I already had the weld-in points, and I just bought a dozen cans of satin black spraypaint. Next I'm going to work on the swingout - I need to remove a bunch of the weight that I added to it when I got excited about welding.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looking drat good.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
How does everyone protect their paint job?

Sunday and Monday I took my '94 paint job up a long, tragic road that I believe hosted the Washboarders Society for at least a decade (top speed 8mph). The last few miles were narrow enough that my ball joint mirrors got pushed down by the trees, shrubs, etc.

As I ponder delaying retirement a year for a shiny new Rubicon, I can't help but wonder how I'm going to keep it shiny. Magnetic protector panels? Burlap bags?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The last time a fender got bashed by a rock, I think I wrapped a towel around the prybar before I bent it back so the door could open.

Maybe.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Protect... this?

Scratches are earned, though I do admit I want to repaint at least the hood and cowl to get rid of the absolutely roasted paint.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Have you tried parking farther away from the mall entrance?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
My hood is definitely in "not rusted" state, but parking outside under trees for five or ten years meant the sap ripped off a bunch of paint. Needless to say, I have no problem using the hood as a shelf for boots, the grip, etc.

But hey, black primer patches don't reflect as much bright light, so that's good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I try to not dent my blue Comanche but all bets are off on the others.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Eh. I drive a 2019 Rubicon. It's got plenty of trail striping everywhere. The rear bumper got kind of knocked loose on a trail ride. Both rear fenders look beat up and are loose. All rims have some light rock rash.

I regret nothing :colbert:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I'll plan to buy a nice wire brush so I can scrub it down after a year. Who needs sponges or weekly washes?! :page3:

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My dad left me a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I work in heavy transport industry and I'm thinking of trading in for something I can actually use. In particular I can get a good deal on a 2017 dodge 3500 6.7 diesel with 40k miles. However some of the stuff I'm reading online is putting me off. Anybody got any experience or can tell me where to go on sa for advice?

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 30, 2020

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Dunno what kind of condition your Sahara is in, but I'd spend ~$150 on a good interior detail/ exterior claybar + wax job, take some nice glamour shots (if you have a photography nerd buddy all the better) in a cool-looking spot (dirt road, urban graffiti wall, country club, whatever) and list that poo poo on autotrader/craigslist. Price it slightly high compared to other similar Saharas in your area and it'll sell for a better price than whatever you get as a trade-in.

Also, I hope your dad "left it" to you under better circumstances than that sounds :(

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

My dad left me a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I work in heavy transport industry and I'm thinking of trading in for something I can actually use. In particular I can get a good deal on a 2017 dodge 3500 6.7 diesel with 40k miles. However some of the stuff I'm reading online is putting me off. Anybody got any experience or can tell me where to go on sa for advice?

We used to have a truck/trailer thread but it died.

I assume if you work in transport you know what kind of hauling capacity you need, and you know you need a 1 ton truck. Assuming that's correct, IMO all of the Big 3 options are good. I've put a lot of miles on the drivetrain you're looking at, and I was impressed. I also think the Ram interior is better suited for wear resistance in a work environment, based on experience working out of all of them. If you can get a good deal on a clean, low mileage example, I think that's the most important thing.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Hey Jeep goons. My 2015 jk has decided it doesn't want to start off it's battery. I charged the battery for a few hours and still no dice there is a loud click which i think is the starter relay the lights dim and the cluster lights go out but it doesn't crank at all. If I hook up my noco booster it starts immediately. This is making me think that there is something wrong with the battery itself. Or perhaps the alternator and the battery :shrug:

Anyone got some good steps to diagnose it ?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mashed_penguin posted:

Hey Jeep goons. My 2015 jk has decided it doesn't want to start off it's battery. I charged the battery for a few hours and still no dice there is a loud click which i think is the starter relay the lights dim and the cluster lights go out but it doesn't crank at all. If I hook up my noco booster it starts immediately. This is making me think that there is something wrong with the battery itself. Or perhaps the alternator and the battery :shrug:

Drive it to your favorite auto parts store and they'll check the battery and alternator for free.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Drive it to your favorite auto parts store and they'll check the battery and alternator for free.

Oh this is a good idea.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

mashed_penguin posted:

Is it the original battery in the Jeep? It's probably time for a new one if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

angryrobots posted:

We used to have a truck/trailer thread but it died.

I assume if you work in transport you know what kind of hauling capacity you need, and you know you need a 1 ton truck. Assuming that's correct, IMO all of the Big 3 options are good. I've put a lot of miles on the drivetrain you're looking at, and I was impressed. I also think the Ram interior is better suited for wear resistance in a work environment, based on experience working out of all of them. If you can get a good deal on a clean, low mileage example, I think that's the most important thing.

Supposed the 1 ton Rams had problems compared to Ford and Chevy, but it's sometimes hard to get a reliable view vs people just liking or hating a particular brand.