Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Does anyone know if there's a PDF owner's manual for later model '97-01 XJ Cherokees around? I'm really just curious to see the factory maintenance schedule. I'm looking for a nice XJ but want to understand what maintenance owners should have been keeping up on.

Also I'm kinda curious, how accurately do you think KBB, Edmunds, and other prices guides reflect the value of XJ Cherokees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
edit: Err where did you get the full service manual and was it expensive?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Cool, thanks for the link!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

LargeHardonCollider posted:

Proud owner of a '88 Jeep Cherokee. Got it for $1250 with a 3" lift 33's and a locker.

Best part though? I can be as hard as I want to be on it because I can run down to the junkyard and pick up 5 of the same parts I broke. Your not wheeling until you break something right?

Best toy ever

Awesome Cherokee. I can't believe the price to performance ratio for Cherokees--it seems like 2-3k will get one in great shape for offroading.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
What about a fuel pump cutoff switch or even a club (one that blocks the pedals) too?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Doctor Zero posted:

The club is completely useless in any configuration.

The club you put on a wheel can be bypassed by cutting the wheel, but I've never heard of the pedal blocking one having faults. How do people get around it?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Rhyno posted:

Well the obvious solution is for Chrysler to redesign every vehicle intheir lineup to fix the 4.0.

Agree 100%. Also, the Viper should be powered by an inline 12 cylinder engine that's just two 4.0 engines end on end.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
That is awesome. How tough is it to stow a JK hardtop? Does it come off into a bunch of panels that you could throw in a closet?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I might be looking at an '05 Wrangler unlimited rubicon and am curious is there anything to look out for with more recent TJ/LJs? Did the later model year 4.0 liter I6's fix all the main seal and oil leak issues of years past?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Doesn't the Rubicon have a 4.11 gear ratio rear diff though? That has to help acceleration and power a bit.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

A.o.D. posted:

Are new Rubicons a bad idea if you want to go offroading?

How serious do you want to go offroading? I personally wouldn't want to risk taking a brand new $30k car crawling over massive boulders, through steep ravines, etc. However if you're just driving trails, mudding, etc. there really isn't anything stock more capable than a Wrangler Rubicon that you can buy brand new.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Heh, those are morbidly entertaining to watch. :)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Those tent trailers are really cool, but man what happens if you have them out on a trail and have to reverse up a hill or something similar?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Braincloud posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people?! So, it's now been in the 80s here in Seattle. Summer has arrived. I've had the doors and top off my Rubi for weeks now. It seems I'm the only one. Every Wrangler I see - TJ or JK, is still rolling around all buttoned up. Even softtops haven't been dropped! I just don't get it; why buy a Wrangler if you're not going to pull everything off when it gets nice out?! Hell, at least drop the top! I just shake my head when I see other Jeeps with their windows rolled down and their tops on as I drive by with my bare foot hanging out the door and the sun blazing down on my hat.

I guess I'm just way cooler than those other fools.

Are you in a black JK? I saw one with roof, doors, etc off yesterday--looked like the driver was having a great time.

I just need to find a nice LJ rubicon for under 17k and I'll be a Jeep owner. Soooo jealous of all the wranglers I see out now. :(

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Beep beep, I bought a Jeep! A '99 Cherokee Sport:

It has the 4 liter 6, automatic transmission, and NP231 command trac transfer case. It's surprisingly clean with just over 150k miles on the car. The previous owner made some small modifications including a 2" lift with 31" tires, Magnaflow exhaust, and nice Alpine head unit. Not a bad car for $3500. I've been looking for a clean, slightly raised XJ for almost a year and this one was perfect. I can't wait to get this thing on some trails. (and take some better pictures) :)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Doctor Zero posted:

So, it's all in the switch? Could you buy more auto-down switches, and swap them out to enable it on more windows?

I'm pretty sure there's more to it like sensors that stop the window when it encounters resistance.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Molten Llama posted:

Sticking on a mirror is a lot like paint: It's all in the prep work.

If you're just slathering on some adhesive like most of the carbuying public, yeah, it's not going to stay up. You want to be back down to bare glass (bare metal for the mirror mount) and perfectly clean and dry. And make sure you're removing the metal mirror mount from the mirror's "foot" and not just trying to adhere the whole drat thing at once.

If none of that applies to you, uh, how's the humidity where you're at?

I'd make sure to give it enough time to cure before touching or moving it too. Probably at least a day, or maybe longer if it's humid. Check what the glue manufacturer recommends and follow it precisely.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
My XJ has a 2" budget lift and runs 31" tires on the stock wheels without too many problems. There is some rubbing on the lower control arm if you turn the wheel to full lock, but I'm going to try some aftermarket arms that have a bend and give more clearance. You will have some difficulty fitting a 31" spare in the stock location though.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Took my XJ camping in the Olympic National Park of Washington this weekend. There's a great campground at the top of a mountain with a fun one-lane dirt road that winds about 6000 feet to the top. The view at the top is spectacular, you can see all the way across the strait to Victoria, Canada:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Braincloud posted:

Deer Park? Love it up there. Great place to camp for the 4th of July. Can see the fireworks in Port Angeles from the top. And yes, that's a fun road to drive.

Yep! It's a great campsite that doesn't seem to get as much traffic as other nearby sites. The drive probably scares a lot of people off. :)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
You'll probably need longer brake lines too. The slip yoke eliminator is probably required, at best you'll get vibrations at speed and at worst the car is undriveable. This is a really good book to read about modifying an XJ for serious off-road driving: http://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-Cherokee-Builders-1984-2001-Design/dp/1932494146/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283151335&sr=8-2

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

spiralbrain posted:

Is that anywhere near Hurrican Ridge??

Just east of it a few miles on Blue Mountain, near the Deer Park campground here: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=47.95725367542542~-123.25645065275978&lvl=14&sty=r

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Oops, I tore the muffler off my XJ by banging off some rocks. It was worth it to see sights like this though:

edit: On the plus side now I can mount my tow receiver without the exhaust getting in the way. :q:

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 6, 2010

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Braincloud posted:

Manashtash? or Entiat?

Hells Canyon, way out in the corner of Washington, Oregon and Idaho. It's one of the largest river gorges in the world and was pretty amazing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah $4100 seems good, I just bought a 99 sport in good shape with 150k miles for $3500.

Also holy poo poo I'm glad you're ok, that looks horrific!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
For what it's worth my XJ with 2" lift and 31" tires doesn't have sloppy steering. I do notice a little bit of uneven braking when really slamming on the pedal though, like a small tug to the passenger side. I think it might be related to that caliper being recently replaced when the previous owner locked it up.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
A world without Jeeps is a world I don't want to live in. :colbert:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Mounted a hitch on my XJ tonight and it wasn't that bad. If anyone is thinking of doing it here are some tips:

- First watch this video to get an idea of the steps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79dNP8ZISuU

- If you're reusing the factory nut strips get an M12-1.75 tap and put it through the threads to clean out the rust. I think this is required, my XJ has lived in dry climates but two of the unused nuts were loaded with rust and would have stripped threads like crazy.

- Get a friend and some jack stands to help hold and mount the hitch. Mine didn't really line up well at first and had to be coerced in a bit but finally seated itself when the bolts were tightened.

- Pulling bolts and metal through the frame rails isn't that bad. If I had the choice of pulling off the bumper and mounting a nut strip or pulling bolts through the frame I would pull the bolts through. The first one is fiddly and takes time but once you get it down it's quick and easy.

Now I've got good recovery points front (tow hooks) and rear so I can get a little more fearless on the trail. :)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Autoblog reports there's a strong rumor of a Jeep pickup truck in the near future. http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/17/report-jeep-pickup-coming-in-2012/

This would likely be based on the badass Gladiator concept:

I'm surprised Chrysler would be interested in making what would likely be a very niche vehicle, but I think it's awesome. Maybe GM will revive plans to bring the ute over. :(

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I've heard hitting the starter with a hammer a couple times might help get it unstuck. Would help confirm if it's really the starter.

edit: Doh should read all the posts before replying.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Had new control arms put on my XJ today, now I can turn the wheels to full lock without rubbing! Also had some JKS quick disconnects put on and they've noticeably firmed up the front--I suspect because I'm not running on crap bushings with 150k miles anymore.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

EightBit posted:

New radiator, water pump, battery. This Jeep's been through hell, abort.

It's 10 years old and has 103k miles--doesn't seem out of the ordinary to start replacing the cooling system to me.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

TheManWithNoName posted:

Been trying to seal the deal on a 2001 Cherokee for a couple weeks now. I asked them to fix the power steering because it was whining a bit, they ended up fixing the serpentine belt and now I guess there is a problem switching from 4hi to 4low. Ah well.

That seems odd--the transfer case is pretty well isolated from the engine accessories. Did you try moving the car a tiny bit and then attempting to engage 4 low? Sometimes you need to move a bit to get things lined up. You have the car in neutral too, right?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Ouch yeah I would find another one, luckily there were millions of them built.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Shubs posted:

Just got an '01 TJ.

Tires are bald, getting replaced. Also the soft top needs to go; I'm thinking about a tan replacement. Second thing on my agenda is a 2" lift. I'm specifically looking at this one http://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_109.htm I'm betwixt as to what kind of lift I want. I'm 17 and have a $9/hr job so I'm looking for a more economical approach. Also I'm looking for a CB antenna that flexes over and connects to the hood(the Jurassic Park build had one). Finally, I'm looking for one of those winch grills that looks like the prow to a boat. I want to remove the fender flares but I don't know what to do with the turn signals that are in the front ones.

Edit: What is the name of the circle cover in the center of the rims? They're missing on the right side

Nice Jeep! I would keep things simple and see how far the car gets you as is or with a small lift. A spring spacer budget boost like that seems like the best choice. Adding a bumper, winch, replacing the fenders, etc. can get expensive fast--I wouldn't worry about them yet. I'm guessing an antenna big enough to bend over the car is an old 108" metal whip antenna. If you're running through small wooded trails it's going to be a huge pain as it bangs off everything. I'd look for a smaller 4 foot or so antenna. For the wheels you're looking for the 'center caps'--check craigslist and you'll probably see some for cheap.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Speaking of vibrations, I just had new 2.5" lift springs & stock shackles put on my '99 XJ to replace the sagging stock springs and 2" shackle lift. To prevent vibrations the shop put on a 6 degree shim for the axle too. I've noticed at 55-60mph there's a very slight vibration though, just enough to feel in my feet and hear (sounds like loud tires). Are there any cheap and easy ways to reduce vibrations? I don't think I'm ready to go for a full SYE--would lowering the transfer case ~1/2" be an option?

edit: Thinking about it more and reading http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html I think I'm going to replace the driveshaft u joints first. The car has 150k miles and as far as I know the stock joints--I bet upping the lift and shimming to a slightly higher angle is putting more stress on old joints.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 27, 2010

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

PBCrunch posted:

How do I fix my speedometer? Or do I just ride around with a GPS all the time to tell how fast I am really going?

With 31" tires it's only going to be off a little bit--at 70mph on my speedo I'm actually going 75mph and it's not as bad with lower speeds. You can swap out the speedo gear in the transfer case though to have a perfectly accurate speedometer.

The other thing to consider with big tires is the extra weight and force put on the axles. The bigger the tire the more power you'll lose from the engine. With the stock automatic 4 liter's 3.55 gear ratio I personally think 31" tires are as big as you want to go. With 33" tires you're going to want to re-gear to 4.58+ gears... and if you're re-gearing you might as well swap in a stronger axle and even locking diffs ($$$). Some people are perfectly happy with the power loss though, it really depends how you drive and how hilly your area is. With 31" tires on my stock geared automatic I find driving at 70mph on the freeway can be annoying as the transmission has to downshift frequently for hills. I'll put up with it but at some point I'd like to go to 4.11 gears.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

TheManWithNoName posted:

beep beep I own a Jeep now

what tires should I slap on this thing

Awesome! Give it a 2" budget lift and put on 30" tires if you don't want any problems, or 31" if you can live with rubbing control arms when you turn to full steering lock.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

trouser chili posted:

Urgh, WJ issues here. I've got a 2002 Grand Cherokee with a check engine light. The code indicates a failure of the leak detection pump, a component of the evaporative emissions control system. I'm currently about 1000 miles away from the car. The local dealer wants my mother to shove $800 in their pockets to fix it. My dad is fairly trainable and I can probably instruct him on how to repair it, but I'm looking for some pictures of the location and instructions on the internet and not finding much. Any help?

Vehicle details:
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
4.7 HO v8, automatic transmission.
92,000 miles.
It's green, I think.

If you need a quick answer I would look at a site like alldatadiy.com that has Haynes/Chilton style info for lots of cars. I had a year of access and found the info was pretty good--not as detailed as the factory service manual but good enough for most jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

jonathan posted:

Is there a pump type device that I can use to fill diffs and transfer cases ? I'm about to do them on the JK soon. It's nice that the diffs have drain plugs, but when I did my fathers, the bottle and tube method kinda sucked for gear oil.

I used a clean grease gun once and it sucked--way too much effort to get a little fluid out. I'm hoping something like this will do the trick next time I change fluids.