Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
My wrangler current has a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine, normal 5-speed manual transmission.

Recently I have noticed several 6-cylinder engines for sale in my area for about $150 each. To me, this seems like a ridiculously bad idea, as I am used to hearing about decent engines(for any car) costing several thousand dollars. Am I wrong, is this how much reliable 15-year old engines go for?

What are the pros and cons of switching out to a bigger engine? I don't plan on doing any hardcore 4-wheeling, but I would like to take the thing on some rather long road trips. Will there be a huge difference in my MPG, or would such a sacrifice be pittance for the extra speed and power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
.... goddammit >.<

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 20, 2008

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

The King of Swag posted:

The 4.0L gets the same mileage as the 2.5L; the only downside is the huge bitch of a task it is to swap as you'll have to also put in the heavier transmission for the 4.0L.

Heavier transmission what-what? You sound like a wealth of information on this, I'd love to hear any/all advice you have on the subject. My best friend's uncle is a jeep and 4x4 fanatic (builds his own dune buggies from scratch) who would likely be willing to help me with such a swap, but if it isn't just the engine, but also a transmission... sounds like more trouble than it's worth? Or maybe the appeal of a $150 engine goes out the window when I also have to acquire a transmission?

Your thoughts, advice, SAGE WISDOM??

Also:
The gf has expressed interest a replica car for her. Behold!

HONCHO

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 20, 2008

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

awesome idea

would you make a dorothy for it too?

How could anyone ever love me if I didn't?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Obligatory dinojeep, for the megathread:

Moving on now....

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

The King of Swag posted:

Hey Boomer, is that an HDR pic?

Frosty- posted:

I want to say no, because of the clouds. It looks like it's just a really well-composed single exposure.

It is in fact HDR, taken with the help of Bruno_me. We went down to Boulder back in October and took a whole slew of fancy HDR shots of the jeep and the ectocar.

You can see their original, monstrous sizes here:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/HUGE%20Pictures/JeepHDR-hi.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/HUGE%20Pictures/JeepHDR3-hi.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/HUGE%20Pictures/JeepHDR2-hi.jpg

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

CatBus posted:

Jeep behind Jeep:

Cool, you drive Hound! Or is it Swindle?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

ZippySLC posted:

The Wrangler is still a very utilitarian vehicle. It's been on the market forever and only now has got optional power windows and locks. It's still got solid axles. It still has removable doors and a fold down windshield. It has drain plugs in the floor to get water out when you get it wet inside. There's more painted metal in the interior than plastic.

THIS.

When I started stripping mine, the first thing to go was the rollcage, which took the seatbelts with it. The fender flares came off, leaving these giant tires sticking out the sides that threw whatever you drove through at the back of your head. I had to replace the windshield seal so I left it unhinged. It was like a gigantic gokart! Driving that thing, with the windows down, doors off, and no seatbelt, between my house and where it was being prepped and painted rates as one of the top five coolest driving experiences of my life. Turning right and holding onto the steering wheel so as not to fall out of the loving car... I loved it.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Disciple of Pain posted:

You realize you drive a YJ, right? A whole lot closer on the utilitarian spectrum to a CJ than a JK, which is what we were talking about.

Of course. I was just agreeing with the whole 'love of basics'. If jeeps were just another small SUV, like a CRV or something.... well there wouldn't be anything special.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 24, 2008

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
So in order to keep my project jeep more 'canon' to the film, I bought an aftermarket factory-style soft top hardware set, along with a matching brown bestop. Basically I caved in during a heavy rainstorm somewhere between Longmont and Boulder at like two in the morning, deciding to get a soft top just for such occasions. I figured it would look like the jeep in the movie and if the weather got ridiculously lovely I could pull the whole thing up with minimal effort and continue on my way.

The jeep I bought came with a black supertop, the hardware of which doesn't look anything like that in the film, but I managed to set up the whole thing by myself, with no previous knowledge or experience, in about a half hour.

Tonight Bruno_me and I tried getting the new thing on, and for the love of god two hours later we still can get it to fit perfectly. The hardware setup is ingenius, with the sliding bars that fold down and all lock together. But the actual canvas part, mother of GOD... gently caress YOU bestop. I figure that if I am on the road with that thing and it starts raining, not only will the storm have passed by the time I get it all zipped up, but it will likely be a whole different season

Any magic tricks for the factory setup or is this just why the supertop sells so well?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Disciple of Pain posted:

Every soft-top I've ever tried to take out of a box and put on a Jeep is like that.

By the way, how was your recent trip to Sears/Foothills Mall? :v:

Too bad there isn't a fat jeep that could put it on and stretch it out for me. loving gently caress!

Also, I work there. Run the computer gaming center in there, have for the last four years. You oughta come by sometime, at least before my last day (sometime this week).

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I've had these Sahara seats for almost a year, and they are really neat. They aren't all burny in the sun like vinyl, great styling, useful pouches on the back. But riddle me this: What the gently caress are the straps on the seat for?

They can go over the top of the seat and be used to fasten objects to the seats (or at least the upper half), and I assume that only a complete retard would use them as a restraining device.

Does anyone know what the specific intended purpose of these straps was? Are they just for looks with a little bit of odd use, or are they supposed to do a certain task really really well, as is the case with most jeep aspects?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Gord bless Colorado! :patriot:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Does no one has any ideas on what those straps on my seats are for?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Keys to my jeep: Gone, 100%. Someone must have picked them up after I dropped them in the park at work today.

Checked with Chrysler and they said that they could not reproduce keys for a 1990 jeep because it was too old, I guess the information no longer exists.

What should I do?

1) Call a locksmith and let him make new keys (one for ignition/doors and one for the glove box)
2) Buy replacement ignition and door locks from a parts store

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Aran posted:

Driving down the road tonight, it started to bog down every time I'd take pressure off the gas pedal (it's an automatic, by the way), like it was about to stall.

Mine's a manual and it's doing the same thing when I'm sitting at lights, sometimes even when I'm on a highway if I let off the gas it starts to sputter. A friend mentioned adjusting how it idles....?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I'm planning a roadtrip up the PCH this spring and I'm shopping for an overhead soundbar. Any of you fellas have recommendations or suggestions on brands or suppliers?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Anyone have any thoughts on how to prevent winch theft? I've seen bolt locks, putting a spot of weld on the nut, what do you gents use?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Pretty.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Why, why would someone manufacture a winch plate and send it out with bolts that do this after only one day in the rain/snow?
\
My soft top hardware bolts, along the top rim of the body tub, oxidized just as quickly. What the hell?

Also, got more work accomplished on the dinojeep this weekend than I have in the last 16 months, and then the hydraulics for the clutch utterly fail. Any repair cost estimates from those of you who have gone through this?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Forward or back there should be 2 bolts per side on the top. Unless you just didn't want to gently caress with the torx.

I'd say the first and third holes. Unless I'm mistaken.

Ha, that's just temporary right now. I can use the torx, but then the winch sits like 4 inches off the front of the bumper. Ugly. I'll work some magic and get all four in there before the weekend. This mounting was just for a sci-fi convention over the weekend.

How about those stupid loving rusty bolts, though? What should I look for that won't instantly rust, stainless?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

On my old YJ I just sprayed flat black rustoleum everywhere.

Fair 'nough.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Have you guys seen this jeep project?

Have you guys seen this mother loving goddamn awesome Wrangler TJ project right here?

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Philip J Fry posted:

Is there a write-up link to this? I'm interested to hear some of the ideas during the design process.

Bonk http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=566265

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Thought I'd share this with you guys first, because you're all so awesome.

Completed. April 24, 2009.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Those of you with YJs, what the is distance between the back of your rear seat and the tailgate?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Going to take a day trip up the divide on Friday, hopefully there won't be too many Fourth of July campers clogging up the trails.

The road up to Rollins/Corona Pass is getting logged to hell due to the pine beetle infestation.
Logging access road + spring runoff = Awesome mudding opportunity. This was taken in early June:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

DILLIGAF posted:

I have been meaning to ask (though I am sure it has been asked before, I haven't seen the answer).. What made you put the lights on the bar for the #18 Jeep? IIRC, it didn't have the lights. Why not use another number (the #12 had the lights...)

Just curious.

You're absolutely right. #18 and #29 (the first two seen in the movie) did not have lights on the lightbar. Back in April I was trying to get everything ready for the car, I had the sidesteps and the winch and pretty much everything else ready to go. I bought one light bar and fabricated another, one with supports for lights and one without. The plan was to have them be interchangeable since I'd prefer to have some kind of lighting setup for when the jeep had it's soft top on, and then the plain bar for the rest of the time. April was incredibly snowy and rainy this year, so the top stayed up on the jeep for most of it, including a couple of car shows and a con. The reasoning was that the jeep would look better with the top up if it had lights on it.

Really, I haven't gotten around to painting up the other, accurate, bar. It's sitting in my garage right now and will probably have to wait until my current project is finished. Eventually I'll knock the number of lights down to four, as well, but for now it's just going to stay that way.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Yeah, that one is absolutely spot-on except for the dash and doors. The dude lives in Florida so he was able to take measurements off the screen-used jeep at IOA, and his paint job is WAY better. Of course, he had bluray-quality reference pictures to work with while building his...

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
The #10 jeep, the one that hits the tree, didn't have a roll cage at all.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 5, 2009

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Does anyone else really like the JKs with half doors?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I am signed up with a market research company and they are looking for Jeep Grand Cherokee owners and are willing to pay $150 for two 30 minute surveys.

Please contact Amy to qualify 407 660 1808 ext 119 or 888 464 0204 ext 119
All calls will be returned on Monday, study begins Tuesday Feb 16.

They are looking for 2000-2007 Cherokee owners, and I've had a lot of luck with this company in the past. I was once paid $300 to talk to them about cats.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
J8 NuKizer....

Click here for the full 1900x1267 image.

:circlefap:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Goob posted:

A fitting day for Chrysler to debut another pickup concept they'll never put into production.

Well sort of. It "debuted" at the Moab Easter Jeep Safari on the 28th. But I get the joke :p

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Pulled the interior of my YJ the other day so I could apply my bi-annual coat of herculiner. And once I'd coated that, I got it into my head to paint my center console to be the correct Sahara green, and then to touch up the ends of my rollcage, and then paint the door panels... oh poo poo where did my weekend go?

Now after all that work, I don't want to put it back together because cruising around completely topless is too much fun.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Cablekid posted:

Beep Beep I Bought a Jeep!

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

Goddamn, I was sooo close to finding the loving tiki hidden at Bill Cody's grave, but my time ran out... :(

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
A few weeks back Jeep hid tiki statues in Denver, Los Angeles, and Chicago. Each week they'd post clues as to the exact location of the statues, if you found one you would win an Islander.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Jesus christ. Took my jeep in to a shop to have the steering pump replaced with a new one I've had laying around. Shop tells me the jeep is idling weird because of a "loose intake gasket." I ask them to tighten it down and replace the pump, apparently that's $650 worth of work?

What the gently caress?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Gorgeous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Veeb0rg posted:

While the intake bolts can be a certified pain in the rear end to get to, I don't see how they could have charged that much for labor.

Apparently the phone crackled while he was giving me the price, guy only charged me $90. So it turns out the place I picked because it had a reputation for being a great deal and doing terrific work was a great deal and did terrific work!