Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Pacific Rim Job posted:

We got a JK (08 Unlimited Rubicon 6spd) last week, took it out this weekend for some tame fun. With no one to pull us out if we got stuck, we didn't do anything that was likely to get us stuck. New front bumper with winch is on the way.

This was before we adorned the brand new paint with pinstripes when the trail narrowed. :D The flares are also scratched to poo poo, and that's how we like it.

Sup Rubicon buddy. I have an 08 two door rubi, it continues to surprise me on where it can go, but some upgrades are definetly on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Pacific Rim Job posted:

Yeah we scratched the interior plastic up already also. Not even doing anything crazy, just from stuff like putting something on the dash to rest momentarily, then taking it off. I want to remove all the carpet and Rhino Line the inside anyway, obviously the aesthetics aren't that important.

I did, yes. Was hoping to get a good flexin' shot. Sadly someone ended up in the picture I took from the front, so that's the only one I got.
We haven't found anywhere that even comes close to challenging it yet. Other than the bumper, driving lights, and winch, we haven't planned anything else. What are you going to do to it?

Pretty much those things you just listed, and a cb. Then probably a lift and nicer tires cause i can. My plastic bumper is all dented from rocks already.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
Because Chrysler makes terrible traction control systems. Theres a code on the JKs to turn it off forever, turning it off normally doesn't really turn it completely off, and the 4hi trick still leaves some elements active. Its only really off in 4lo or when you use the code. I put the code in on mine the 2nd day I had my Rubi and haven't looked back.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
I don't remember exactly, I turned the entire system off after the first time i took it off road and it started beeping at me.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
Herro!

Thats my 08 Rubicon, 2.5 inch lift with 35 inch Baja Claws and lots and lots of mud.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Braincloud posted:

What kind of lift do you have on there? How's the ride? Is it still as cushy as the stock ride. I've been thinking of lifting my JK Rubi but really love how cushy it is on the road and don't want to put on a stiffer suspension.
Its a teraflex 2 1/2 Budget Boost with new shocks. Its still somewhat cushy but has definetly stiffened up some, but it dosent bother me. It rides like every other Jeep I've been in, 50 years of innovation and a jeep is still a jeep.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I think I just came.

Commandos with the top on look absolutely weird to me. My uncle has a green one with the baby AMC V8 and I don't think its had the top on in 20 years. Probably the ultimate island cruising vehicle. I'll try and find a pic of it somewhere.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
What issues should I be looking for in cherokees of 1998-2000 vintage?

Heres an example of one im looking at:http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/1537716673.html

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

fordham posted:

That's a bit too much money for that many miles.

I would want to know if the cat was ever replaced on that one, that could be coming up. Rear main seal is likely to be leaking a bit but I'm not sure how you easily check for that and they usually leak a little for a long time before becoming a serious problem.

There's a lot of things that can start to fail at 175k miles, though the engine is probably OK if it sounds good.

Yeah, I ended up with a 2000 Sport 4x4 with 150k on it for 3 grand. Everything seems to be in order except for some minor surface rust on the rear axle and leaf springs. What should i hit first as far as maintence goes?

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

FAROESE WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Three weeks old. :v:

Might wanna spend some more time looking at your new JK then. In the center console, or on the radio itself will be an aux input to plug your ipod into. No fancy poo poo required, except maybe an ipod charger.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

BigKOfJustice posted:

Would you need to do any drivetrain/steering upgrades to handle a 37?
He shouldn't have to on a Rubi jk. Steering might be abit loose

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

incredibull posted:

Saw a movie with my dad, they played this, he said HURR THAT'S COOL, which was a surprising reaction from him. Chrysler is playing the patriotism thing pretty hard. Too bad like you said nobody will take that thing offroad any time soon and it looks more like a minivan than ever.

Have you seen how low to the ground the new Caravan sits? I guess they gave the GC the old Caravan's ground clearance.

Not exactly related, but the new zr1 commercial takes the same idea of hurr america and actually makes it cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MaUe3bpRRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
What should I be looking for in a CJ jeep? I want something to restore and dick around with, not for serious crawling. What motor/trasn combo held up the best in the CJ 5/7's?