Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
I am really trying not to buy my sister-in-law's 94 GC V8. I need a small truck not a v8 600' to the gallon monster that I will break every weekend. But it would be so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Molten Llama posted:

Fold down the rear seats and it is a small truck! Problem solved!

Well, maybe not the breaking it every weekend part...

The old lady says my next automobile has to be usefull and were bumming my grandfather truck every other weekend for something that too big for a car or needs to go to the dump but this would be a hard deal to pass up other than the high miles and assuming still busted heater doors/hvac issue.

Not to thrilled about the full time transfer case that I dont know much about.

evilnissan fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 30, 2008

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
If everything works out I plan to pick up a 94-95 5.2 ZJ this weekend but it needs some work.

The heater is not working right and I think its a problem with the blend doors.

This will be my DD until I can get the trans sorted out in my lovely saturn.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
I am now the proud owner of a 96 grand cherokee laredo with the 5.2 150K miles and several HVAC issues but it all works just half rear end.

Pics and more details to come tomorrow.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Hit the first stop light after getting off the interstate this morning and was greeted by a small amount of steam comming out from under the hood while setting at the redlight...

Once I got to work I poped the hood and checked all the lines and everything was fine but the bits under the radaitor were wet. Its leaking but only under pressure.

I am going to throw a bottle of stop leak in it and hope for the best until next pay day when I can score a new radaitor. Just spent a good bit on a new cat this week for it and with a trip to NY next week it may just sit for a while do to a lack of funds.

Its a 96 5.2 ZJ, with little to no heat, clicking left front axle and not a water feature in the front...

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

incredibull posted:

Stop leak is terrible for your cooling system and always poses a risk of clogging coolant passages, so if you can get away with just adding coolant daily, do it.

I know it's bad for the coolent system and I bet this is also part of my no heat issue if the PO used it in the past and clogged up the heater core. The in and out lines on the heater are warm(the in is quite hot) but the out side it cooler than what it should be and the fact that the heater is only putting out air a little hotter than human breath tell me it may be clogged up.

I was planning in flushing it all out this weekend but I think I will wait unil I get more parts in.

I have only had this thing for 2 weeks and its not off to a good start.

EDIT: more content.

The PO said the the HVAC got stuck on heat so he stuck that manual valve on the heater core input line to shut it off. The problem now is it sat during the summer and wasnt hardly touched until I got it.

With the trans in my saturn trying to kill it self I picked this up for $1,500 thinking it would get me throught the winter with out any major issues and I am allready about $300 in repairs after 2 weeks...

evilnissan fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 27, 2008

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
You may want to try to back flush it. Thats what I was going to do to my ZJ this weekend and after searching though 60000 WJ blend door threads on jeepfourms.com all I could find was back flush or replace. I assume this would be the same situation on your XJ.

This is assuming your coolent is comming up to temp while driving.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Yea my 5.2 takes a good 7-8 miles of my 12 miles trip to work to come up to normal operating temp, but at just a hair below 210 I still have little heat coming out of the vents.

I did find my leak and its is coming from one of the core rows and not a end tank.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
After hitting some of the gas line trails and old coal mines last week I really need to find some cheap off road/mud tires and maybe a 2" budget lift for my ZJ.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
The heat saga continues, replaced the radiator, upper and lower hoses, flushed and back flushed the heater core.

Results, a little more heat and more of the zin garden waterfall sound comming from the dash on startup and the first few seconds above 2k rpm from the heater core filling up.

I think my heater core is hosed and leaking, but I still need to replace my radiator cap and rusted through thermostat houseing.

I also found out why the PO said the HVAC was stuck on heat all the time, the motor that controls the blend door was snapped off and may end up with a getto handle attached to it instead of replacing the motor.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

chocmilkrush posted:

Just got some 31" tires and wheels.

Here are some crappy camera phone pics:

Any rubbing issues? I am wanting to put some 31's on my 96 V8 ZJ but it will be a long time before I have the spare cash for a lift.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

evilnissan posted:

Went over to my friends house to give a hand stripping down his mail jeep to pull the motor for a rebuild.

Its hella flush, saggy springs

Now to figure out the year and details about this block.

Between working on my buddy's mail Jeep and another friend just getting a new wrangler I have the Jeep itch bad..

I should have never gotten rid of my old GC.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Anyone had any experience with Patriots?

I want a Wrangler, but I keep finding new AWD Patriots for 16-17K and on paper they fit all the needs I have except being cool as poo poo like a Wrangler.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
My buddy's mail jeep is comming together in a very AI style.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
The binding when in 4wd during turns is the result of the back and front axles trying to turn at different speeds. During a turn the front axle rotates more covering more ground as it swings around while the rear pivits on the inside wheel covering less area.

With the center transfer case lock both axles will turn at the same speed no mater what but that means the one or both diffs now have to spin a outside or inside wheel at a speed slower or faster speed than it normally would during a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
All my Patriot does is make me miss my old 5.2 ZJ.

It's not bad, but it not good. I look at it as a tall AWD wagon than as a SUV. The 2.4 5speed FD1 awd works fine, I haven't taken off road other than moving large items around the property, BLD does work as I have gotten a wheel or two off the ground and it applies the brakes to the spinning wheels to get power to the wheels with traction. I'm too worried about burning the clutch up to go out any tame trails around with out low range.

If we ever get a decent snowthis winter it should do pretty good aside from the crappy tires.

I like the Renegade for what it is and the Trailhawk version looks like it could handle a good bit of off road within reason of what its limitations are.