Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

angryhampster posted:

I'm in Tasmania studying until 15 November, you'd be dealing with the parents of a goon.

When you get back, you wanna deal on my Focus? Or are we bets off with that? Just lemme know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can I get a bit of help with a price check? My friend is enamored with Cherokees and has found a decent candidate.

2000 XJ
automatic with Command-Trac
stock everything
101k miles
new brakes, fluids, serpentine belt, shocks, exhaust
very little rust for a New England car
no apparent issues

The seller wants $4200. I'd say that's a fair price. I've tried to read through here and also some of the Jeep sites for buying guides (they tend to be not very informative). Is there anything about the 2000 year that is a standout issue? It's pretty late in the cycle and I assume that helps.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Philip J Fry posted:

The only major thing with 00-01 Cherokees is that some have the 0331 head castings which are prone to cracking.

Is it some or all came with it from the factory? I looked at a few articles online, and it's not clear to me if any head stamped 0331 is a problematic 0331.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

WildFoxMedia posted:

Also, no love for FJ Cruisers? I know they are kind of different looking, but they aren't any more radical looking then an H2 IMO.

When you said you wanted a larger SUV, were you looking for one that only seats 4? Is it just room up front for the driver that you need?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Steiler Drep posted:

If it were a bit taller and didn't look like a horse-carriage from the middle ages, it might actually be somewhat useful. Where's the engine, though? And what is that, like a 1.3L or something?

Maybe the engine is in the middle. Reminds me of the story of how, when Chrysler wanted to refresh the Grand Cherokee, they let a designer from Lotus take a stab at it. He came up with something with 4 wheels at the corners, the engine below and between the driver and passenger, and IFS all around.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Steiler Drep posted:

I wonder why in hell they replaced the 4.0 for the new V6.
Emissions, right?

quote:

I doubt they'll be as long-lasting as the 4.0.

Nobody knows how solid an engine is for a while. I hope the new Pentastar is a good one, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

My Jeep for example failed SMOG when the dealer got it tested and had to be serviced before it could be sold. It has a shiny new cat now that will be good for another 100k miles.

But what if that cat burned out fast, and the underlying problems that caused it to plug up early weren't addressed? I don't see how, even with smog testing as a bar, dealers wouldn't do the bare minimum at each possible step.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Steiler Drep posted:

Aren't the newer engines supposed to do like 270hp? I heard Fiat somehow managed to make the V6's much more powerful now.

The Pentastar? That's been developed by Chrysler internally, not by Fiat. Fiat will be taking the motor and developing its own heads for it, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I took this video for my friend's 2000 XJ with the auto Command Trac, and finally remembered to post it. He's been complaining that the trans tends to bang into drive after you reverse. The video goes back and forth between those gears a couple times. Does it look bad or out of the ordinary?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsyKiHCuPA0
It felt louder in real life than it comes off in the video.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Whiskey posted:

I was curious so I looked it up:

1991 Golf 2 and 4 door: 39.6 cu ft
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1990-to-1992-volkswagen-golf-jetta-6.htm
XJ: 71 cu ft
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xjstockspecs.html

I dunno how they did it, but my friends managed to carry a normal sized fridge in their Golf with the hatch closed. I think they had to scoot their seats really far forward, though. The XJ might have a lot of space, but the Golf is surprisingly spacious. At the very least, it's just as square toward the top, which a lot of cars can't claim.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Anyone know if P0107 (MAP voltage too low) is a common issue for XJs? My friend's 2000 threw it tonight. I inspected near the MAP sensor and saw nothing out of the ordinary. We cleared it with a scantool and will see if it pops up.

I only found this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/99-cherokee-sport-map-sensor-indicator-codes-bucking-surging-841921/

e: We tightened up the procedure to reproduce it. Put it into reverse (it's the Command-Trac auto), then engage 4WD Hi. As you back up, the check engine light will come on, you'll hear a chatter from the transfer case / tranny area, and the engine will sputter. After a few seconds, the chatter goes away, the engine revs up a bit and then settles into a normal idle.

I don't know much about XJs -- is the 4WD actuation vacuum-based? I'm guessing the chattering noise was it having trouble locking the diff? How much risk is continuing driving, and what next steps to debug should he take?

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 19, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

incredibull posted:

Are you sure the chattering noise wasn't the engine pinging under load as it bogged down for whatever reason? This doesn't happen if you put it in reverse while in 2WD?

I was standing outside, and the sound was very solidly coming from under the car. I suppose it's possible that the engine bay directs the sound pinging out that way as well, but it sounded like a different tempo than a cylinder detonating.

He also got the CEL thrown today while just driving around, though with no other symptoms. Is the first step inspection of vacuum hoses, and if those are good, replacement of the MAP sensor?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hail Mary part number / part request:
My friend got his 2000 XJ broken into, and the thief ripped the airbag wiring out of the plug that plugs into the clockspring assembly. Reference photo:

And that yellow plug shattered. Is there any place that might sell just that plug? The shop he has his Jeep at is quoting $200 for replacing things; I'm guessing the whole harness that plug comes on.

e: failing a part number, what's a good online Jeep parts store? I can't really find one, and it doesn't look like Rock Auto has anything relevant.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 3, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

incredibull posted:

Is there some reason he can't pull a connector from a junkyard vehicle and splice it in? Also I believe that most of these airbag connectors are standardized, at least across Chrysler vehicles. He should be able to pull it out of anything. Don't quote me on that though, it's just what I've heard.

Just the couple feet of snow that must be in junkyards in our area. The only question is how the wire ends would mate into the end of the a plug. Splizwarf is doing me a favor and looking in his area, since they haven't had the snow like up here.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tyro posted:

Please tell me it's totally retarded to be even considering buying a '52 CJ-3A with no doors or top as an only vehicle (I drive maybe once every 2 weeks but when I do I take major highways often) when I live in the city and only have on-street parking. Because I'm considering it, but I know it's a bad idea.

Sorry, that's too impractical. Unless it never rains, you'll hate tarping it all the time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Iron Squid posted:

So why are Jeeps RWD vehicles instead of FWD?

Back in the day, it was easier to conceive of a 4WD system from a RWD drivetrain. And 4WD is a big deal for offroading.

But you can always get the Compass!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Here's something interesting. The latest issue of Total Off Road here in the UK had an article on the Wrangler, and it seems (here at least) that its tow rating has been downgraded to one tonne only (2200lbs). Supposedly a jumping-through-hoops exercise involving emissions regulations, but if that's the case, and other manufacturers are going to find themselves in the same position, that could have serious implications.

What would the implications be? Fewer tow-capable vehicles available?