Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.

Aran posted:

That is some character-granting rust right there.

I literally have birds nests in the rust holes in my Jeep. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Ok, finally got pics of the birds nest living in my Jeep.

It's been sitting in a snowbank for a while now since the starter went bad. The solenoid could be one of three, one of which is a Mitsubishi solenoid.

For the paltry sum of $400.00 I can now too say it's a Jeep thing. :haw:

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

How do I know for sure what kind of starter solenoid my Jeep needs for sure? The guy at the auto parts store thinks it might be a Mopar part, or as I mentioned before, a Mitsubishi part, or some other kind. I've already replaced the Peugeot transmission with an Aisin unit, which makes this thing more of a parts mish-mash than it was from the factory.

This really makes me miss working on Toyota's, but dang, I sure do like the 4.0

EDIT: It's mostly an '87

Half the electrical poo poo doesn't work. :pwn:

grzydj fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 11, 2008

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

I finally got the starter replaced on my Jeep Comanche today. Once I got the thing pulled off I then had to figure out if it was either a: Motocraft, a Mitsubishi or an AC Delco starter. Seriously.

It turned out to be an AC Delco, but gently caress, if that isn't about the Jeepiest "it's a Jeep thing" ever than I don't know what is. I think I'm going to sell this and buy another Toyota pickup. I guess I don't get it.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Does anybody know what the steering wheel diameter should be for an '87 Jeep Comanche? I've got this :10bux: steering wheel on mine that's only 12.5 inches in diameter. I think it makes the beast more nervous than a hooker in church.

I'm thinking if I got a larger diameter wheel on it, it wouldn't be so nervous feeling, especially on the highway.

Bonus picture of my clutch pedal, which is really a bicycle pedal. For a total ghetto fix, it works quite well and feels good under boots, even in the winter.

EDIT: with a bonus mystery wire. Where does it go? :iiam:

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

tonedef131 posted:

I just measured my 87 Comanches steering wheel and it is 15" exactly. Is that wire hooked up to your pedal?

Ah, thanks. Maybe I'll get a larger diameter one then, which should alleviate the problem. Naw, that orange mystery wire just hangs down there. I can't trace it back to where it's supposed to go, but I think it's for the fog lights that have never worked.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Leave the wheel the same size but get the CHAIN/LOVE MACHEEN wheel.

Chrome don't get ya home, and those are way too expensive, like, $14.00 and your hands freeze to them in the winter. They look hella cool though.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I've not heard of TJs having gauge problems. Not like YJs but who knows. Mine floats all over the place and when it starts bouncing between 1/4 and 1/2 it's time to fill up. But usually I fill up around 130 miles, just to be safe. I'm still uncertain of my gas tank size. I don't know if it's 20 or 15, I've never run it empty to find out and don't plan on it.

To be safe you could fill up every 140 or 190 miles depending on your tank size.

My oil pressure gauge works intermittently, as do my turn signal indicators, speedometer and fuel gauge. My volt meter appears to be spot on all the time though. I love Jeeps.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Agrocrag posted:

So I had my first off-roading experience in my friends 4runner and it was fun as poo poo; he has me convinced that I should sell my 2003 Nissan maxima and buy a jeep wrangler.

What year/model should I look for with the best off-road capability, priced around $9k?

If you can, keep your Maxima and buy a Wrangler as a fun/weekend/wheeling vehicle. They're not the greatest daily drivers, especially when you're only getting 15 mpg tops. I get about 11 tops with mine.

9k should get you into a nice used TJ with a 4.0 inline 6, but the thing is, you won't keep it stock for long, and the mods never end.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Ok, the exhaust has pretty much started to fall off my Comanche, so I'm going to ghetto fab a system this weekend. I'm wondering what diameter tubing I should go with since I want to keep the 4.0 torquey. Would 3" be too large, or should I go 3.5" or what?

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

xopher.white posted:

I know the Cherokee name lives on outside the US as the official tag on overseas Libertys, but the worst mistake in my opinion was discontinuing the rectangular, unibody, reliable, box-of-sex Cherokee.

They're still made and sold in China, meaning that there will be fresh parts and engines for these things forever.

Dr. Z was totally unapologetic about diluting the Jeep nameplate. He wasn't shy about admitting that to them Jeep was just a recognizable brand that was it. They didn't care about off-road capability or anything like that, which is why there are now rebadged Mitsubishi Lancers masquerading as Jeeps!

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

incredibull posted:

Please elaborate

The Jeep Compass and Patriot are based on the Mistubishi Lancer (GS) platform, which also plays host to the Dodge Caliber, Avenger amongst many others.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

xopher.white posted:

Then all they will have to do is turn the Wrangler/Rubicon into two seat 3-cylinders that can park anywhere like that abortion of a Smart Car and they will have completely obliterated the strongest sport/utilty brand in history!

Tell that to whoever buys the Jeep brand when Chrysler sells it off.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

InitialDave posted:

I just found out that Tamiya are bringing a YJ Wrangler model back into their RC range, this time on their CR01 rockcrawling chassis, to supplement the 40-Series Toyota and Unimog models already available:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58429

It's not a true Jeep replica unless it comes with electrical problems.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Here's some video of the ghetto fabbed glasspack exhaust that I installed on my on my Jeep Comanche. :coal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ar4dzt4TkU

I think it sounds pretty good. Nice and throaty.

Too bad my loving 4WD doesn't work for some unknown reason. I think it might be a vacuum issue but I really have no idea at this point. I tried to engage the 4WD yesterday and it made some groaning sounds but nothing else happened. I popped it back in 2WD and tried to re-engage it and nothing happened at all this time, no sound, no 4WD. :smith:

It's a Jeep thing I guess. :mad:

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Put some 31" MTs on the Comanche today. They're a bit tight and will probably rub a bit at full articulation, but it isn't anything a little sawzawling can't fix. :coal:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Between the glasspack exhaust and the MT tires it's a wonderful buzzy cacophony of roars, clacks, thunks and rattles in the cab at any speed above 10 mph. I love it.

EDIT: Red lugnuts. :laugh:

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

I finally got around to figuring out why my 4WD wasn't working on my '87 Cherokee. (NP231 and a D-30 front) I checked all the vacuum lines at the transfer case and at the shift fork linkage on top of the diaphragm. There was good suction in 2WD and 4WD but no fork engagement, which tells me that the diaphragm is shot or the shift motor isn't working.

To be on the safe side, I re-did the vacuum lines and the suction was still the same, but still no engagement. I pulled the shift fork motor off to see if it would work but gear oil started leaking everywhere and I didn't have enough time to fiddle around with that, so I'm going to tackle that on Tuesday night, weather permitting.

Does the shift motor and the diaphragm have to be replace together? It looks like a married unit from the looks of it. Also, is there a way I can permanently engage the hubs by moving the lever over manually? I would imagine that'd cause some driveline drag, but I can't imagine it'd hurt anything. The old beast only sees a few thousand miles a year anyway.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Holy poo poo. That's bloody brilliant. I'd love to bypass all this wonky vacuum bullshit and be done with it. I'll give them a call on Monday and figure out which kit I should go with.

The $200 kit costs half as much as the truck did. :laugh:

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Slack3r posted:

Or just slide the collar over and use a hoseclamp to keep it in place. Figure since 90 or so that all the XJs were solid axle with no disconnect anyway. Did it to my '84 just fine. :)

I was hoping there was a more ghetto way of doing it. Do you know if there are any instructions with pictures on how to do it? I can't seem to find anything on Pirate4x4.com

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Haha. My throttle stuck wide open on me while driving on the interstate the other day. It was fine while I was driving as it acted as sort of a ghetto cruise control, but the engine was stuck revving at 4 grand when I got off the interstate.

The guy next to me thought I was trying to race him or something, but eventually with a few blips of the throttle I got it unstuck. :laugh: A liberal dose of some WD-40 and some penetrating lube on the throttle cable and linkage all is well again.

Working on some plans to make some bumpers and finish up the body work, which will include some slathering of bed liner on the whole truck.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

leica posted:

I'm selling my 99 XJ 4x4 because I'm moving back to FL (from NY), I don't need 4wd in FL so I'll be looking to buy another XJ or WJ 2wd when I get there.

There are some pretty gnarly trails by Ocala that require 4WD. You know, you don't need 4WD in Florida, unless you're looking for places where you need it.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

The stock (awful) Goodyear Wrangler STs on my Liberty are shot. I'm looking at replacing them with some 235/70R 16 General Grabber AT 2s from Tire Rack for about a hundred a piece.

http://tinyurl.com/nd5x6q

The stock tires are 215/60R 16. Will the wider rubber fit on the stock wheels? I'd imagine that they would but I thought I'd ask before I order them. :o: They're only a bit wider and a bit taller.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Anybody change the spark plugs in a V6 Jeep Liberty before? I'm coming up on the recommended service interval and this will be my first V6 spark plug change.

I can change the plugs in my inline 6 4.0 in about 10 minutes. Please tell me that the Liberty is going to be just as easy. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Goob posted:

I changed the plugs on my Liberty in about a half hour and I'd never changed plugs in a vehicle before. The plugs are deep in the engine, so you'll need some socket extensions. For the back two plugs on the passenger side, you'll either need a swivel joint on your socket/extensions or you'll need to move the coolant bottle. I chose to move the coolant bottle. I undid the two bolts and moved it out of the way without disconnecting the hoses or anything.

EDIT: The recommended plug on the various Liberty forums is Autolite Platinums. Anything else is a waste.

Great advice. I'll go with those recommendations. Thanks.