Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've got an '01 XJ and what do people do with the underside engine cover? The one on my Jeep is kind of ratty and a couple of the plastic rivet things that hold it on are missing and it flaps around a little. Is there any reason not to remove it? Seems like I've seen plenty of lifted XJ's with no underside engine covers.

I read a thing about the shield preventing the alternator from getting splashed and shorting, but...don't people drive through some deep-ish water in these things? Are they doing alternator relocations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
How'd you install them? I didn't think they bolted in, did you get pre-made brackets? Or did you frankenstein your brackets up? They do look great, looks like they match your interior pretty well, too.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Philip J Fry posted:

You re-use your original brackets, the seats bolt right up to them as they have the same base pattern. They do match a lot better than the light grey crappy woven fabric seats did.

drat, that's been instantly moved up to #1 on my to-do list. Thanks for the info.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Have you tried running an ozone machine inside your car?

But point taken, cig smell would instantly make me walk from a pair of seats.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
On that note, is there a JK buyer's guide this thread recommends? Specifically for the 4-doors.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Sorry to create so much hate over my thoughts on my government car choice. I can't order a small hybrid because I need a vehicle that has a bit of room and other options I need for my job nor does my agency allow them. I am also limited to full size sedans, compact/midsize SUVs and minivans by mostly traditional American manufacturers (Ford, gm, fca) I could request a pickup if I wanted to.

I don't think a Wrangler would be a good car for me to use over the next four years. My GC is my personal, mostly weekend car.
AI has a weird thing where people love V8's and sports cars that get horrible mileage, but the minute you start talking about commuting in a truck or SUV they all want you to buy a Prius.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

I'm going to jinx it for sure but in the 100k miles I've put on my XJ (130k to 230k now) I've only ever had the check engine light come on once.. when a wire to the front O2 sensor got frayed and burnt touching the exhaust manifold. The 4 liter is a drat champ of an engine. Can you imagine if Chrysler somehow was able to keep making the 4 liter and continuing to improve it to this day? I wonder if an inline 6 is inherently more or less efficient than a V6, other than just taking a lot more space in the engine bay. A modern 4 liter with direct injection, etc. would probably be a monster of an engine.

LOL, mine's also at 230k (well, 229,0xx technically) and I can't remember the last time the CEL was off.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
FWIW the KO2 AT's I have on my XJ had the same behavior in rain/wet pavement.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Braincloud posted:

Do you have big heavy steel bumpers front and rear? I’m still rocking stock. And my Jeep is always empty since I don’t want to give anyone a reason to break a window #citylyfe
Stock bumpers on mine as well. Rear tire in the back hatch but that's about it aside from my fat rear end.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Are there any sites that sell wheels/tires that do black friday sales? Looking in to picking up a set of 5 and saving a bit of money would be nice.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I need some advice on the lift kit for my 2016 JKUR. I got this Rubicon Express 3.5" kit Part RE7145M but the high-steer kit was on backorder, and it's still not available anywhere I can find online. There are places that list it in stock, but when I have called them to actually have them check their shelf, they all reply they actually don't have it on hand. There were a few on eBay, and I ordered a couple, only to be met with refund emails and they don't have them in stock.

The high steer kit is this one, Part RE2621.

My question is, can I use a high-steer kit from another manufacturer? AEV has this one and this place looks like they've got several. Am I missing something, or do I need to go with the RE part to match the rest of the lift?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
...drat. On a sunnier note, it was in the low 70's here, and me and my buddy put a 3.5" RE lift on my '15 JKUR, along with 4wheelparts house brand bronze wheels in 17" with Toyo RT 35's.

click for big

Next on the list will be a replacement front bumper, and a rear one to match. I went with a SmittyBilt Pivot HD tire carrier so I can get any rear bumper without having to worry about a built-in carrier. I want to get a narrow front bumper with a recessed area to put the winch. Open to any recommendations that don't break the bank too badly while being decent quality.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
2016 JK. Now that it’s cold and I need my heat, I have found it has stopped blowing hot air. The blower is strong and the selector changes from floor to vents to defrost. Doing some initial checking online, I checked my heater core hoses and they’re both pretty hot so I think the issue is the blend door actuator. The thing I wanted to check before I start tearing into that is, mine isn’t making any clicking sounds. Some of the videos and posts say there will be clicking if that’s the culprit, but some don’t mention it. I thought I would check here before doing anything. Thanks in advance.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

giundy posted:

For your's pull the M11 or M15 fuse for a few minutes, plug them back in then get under the passenger side dash. Turn the key to on. You should see a white actuator rod of the blend door go through its range. If it doesn't move you're screwed, if it moves it should relearn the limits. Mine did the latter when it wouldn't go off the floor vents.
Ok cool, I will try that. I got the new actuator in yesterday but got lazy and didn't do the swap yet.

Question: when you say "you're screwed" do you mean I'm proper screwed, or just that I will then have to swap the part I already ordered?

edit: This did not solve my problem. Pulled the fuses, waited about 20 minutes, put 'em back in. Pulled off the glovebox door and turned the key to on, and I saw the white arm move. This did not solve my problem. From what you described, your problem was your knob wouldn't change where the air was blowing from. My problem is my air is always cold. I didn't think this would work but the effort to check it was so minimal I figured I'd give it a shot.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 25, 2022

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
For people who wanna look cool to hold their tactical loadout stuff.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

torgeaux posted:

YouTube videos on removing the intake cover were first, missing steps, second, adding extra steps, finally a guy who had done it several times showed clearly all the steps.
Do you remember which video you used? And if so, can you link it? I've got a misfire cyl 1, also on a '16 with 91xxx miles. Thinking about trying a DIY since shops are quoting pretty high for the job.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

torgeaux posted:

Also, do the ignition coils if you can afford the cost. I had one disintegrate on removal, so having 6 new ones was nice. Also, only one plug was gapped wrong, and it was close, but I checked them all anyway.
Thanks, appreciate it. I had the plugs replaced at 60k when I bought it and had a bunch of other maintenance stuff done. Probably just go ahead and replace all six coils.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Krakkles posted:

Also, one last mention: If you are planning on this being an on-road only thing, drive it first. Even the Wrangler / non-Rubicon has a lot of compromises that make it better off-road and worse on-road. They're noisy as hell on highways, have some interesting handling characteristics, and just generally aren't designed with highway comfort in mind.

I was in a Chick-Fil-A drive thru and the kid at the window told me my jeep was cool and asked if it was nice inside. I think I told him something like "No, it doesn't have any luxuries aside from power windows & locks. The nav screen is old and slow. It rides crappy on the road. But it's fun and I can drive it down Right of Ways without worrying about getting stuck and I think it's cool!" I think I changed his mind on Jeeps, but it's the truth! That was a few years ago and I still think it's accurate, and I still have the Jeep :-)

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
That's one of the common things I used to see in the shop. People add accessories and the ring terminals stack up on the post and when you tighten the nut down, it feels like it's tight, but one of the ring terminals got caught on a thread. So it feels like it's tight, but once you drive and vibration occurs, the connections actually get loose.

Glad you figured it out before a large, fiery problem occurred!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

DeusIgnis posted:

My Wrangler's black plastic trim is fading; anyone have any solutions that work the best? I've seen that Meguiar's option; but I'm curious if anyone actually used it.

johnnyonetime posted:

Trinova Plastic Trim Restorer - https://www.goldeagle.com/product/trinova-plastic-trim-restorer/

Can't recommend this product enough, buy it on Amazon. I have put gallons of this stuff on my 2010 Wrangler's trim and it looks brand new. I use nitrile gloves and a small hex applicator from Adam's Polishes to rub it on there, makes it a little easier.

I can say that on my 2016, I have tried the Meguiar's and the other ones you can get at O'Reilly's or Wal-Mart, and they suck poo poo. I don't know if you have to put them on multiple times over the first couple days, but what my process entailed was cleaning the Jeep, then applying the product per bottle directions. Usually it took it from medium gray to a little bit darker of a medium gray. It never went "back to black" or looked good enough to justify the small cost and effort. And it only lasted a week or two.

I never tried anything like the Trinova that you have to order online. I just decided that I'd either trade the Jeep in with gray fenders/bumpers, or eventually buy metal replacements.

edit: I park the Jeep outside in the Texas sun at home and at work, which doesn't help!