Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

I actually have seen a 1984 Cherokee Chief that was an XJ body but had an SJ ID. Funny.

This doesn't make sense to me. FSJs and XJs never shared engines, so I don't see why they would be confused. What did the sticker have on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

ManicJason posted:

Also neglected in the list of Jeeps was one of the most forgettable if not for its motto.

Man I would love to have a truck like that. Just look at that brow!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

A replica car from Twister?

Seriously?

Twister?
It looks so cool though.

Since we are on J trucks, my favorite Jeep ever:

That thing screams badass.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I see J trucks crop up for sale every now and again, some in not too bad condition. But I have never seen a Thriftside. That is what I would give a kidney for.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Delivery McGee posted:

There was one in one of the Tremors movies, but I can't find a picture. It was yellow.

They probably couldn't find any more Thriftside Gladiators

Delivery McGee posted:

Also available in ambulance form as the M725:

I've seen a few of those from fire/rescue squads on the market recently too. I was kinda surprised at how good they looked, but I guess the only things I see firemen doing is fighting fires and washing their trucks.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Can you get an X or Sahara with the 4.10 gears, 4:1 transfer case, and lockers?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Pacific Rim Job posted:

"Do they go in the ocean?"

Maybe he was thinking of that Commander (I think) commercial

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, that one too. I was thinking about the commercial where they drive up onto the beach from the ocean.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
A ways off, but FSJ East Coast Invasion
Uhwarrie, NC, June 19-22

I might go to peep some sweet Jeeps. FSJs are awesome.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
The XJ Wagoneers around here last forever on Craigslist, which sucks when you are actually looking for an FSJ Wagoneer. Just forget looking for an FSJ Cherokee.

Jeep names :argh:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Raleigh, NC

There is one that has been listed for months, I'd say about 6. It's a bit worn, but the pictures that were posted ages ago didn't look so bad. The price keeps dropping, $500 now.

There was one that was on for equally as long last year, ~$2000 and looked in great shape. Too bad the front ends look so drat ugly.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Jesus, they'll really take 33" stock? That seems like a stretch.

They have leafs all around, so lifts are cheap and easy.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Jack_Handey posted:

Nope, they definitely will take 33's stock, I put a set on one once, currently my XJ Cherokee is sitting on 33's with only a 3" lift.

They just look so low from factory. I guess they do come with 30s though, so that isn't too much more.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
JKs are huge. I saw a 4-door parked next to a Wagoneer, it was hard to tell which was bigger.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I know you can get huge tires under them, but the claim was 33s with no cutting. The one in the picture is stock with 30s, and the outer fender doesn't clear the tire by much. I'll take your word for it, but I wouldn't like to try it on a Narrow Track.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Nice. Is that a pickup?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
They do look awesome, but the razor grill is my least favorite

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Those are, without a doubt, the best. I am going to own one, one day. I am determined.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Jack_Handey posted:

Interestingly, since basically nothing changed from the late 60's till the early 90's, with little modification you can fit any year grille on any year FSJ.

You can even see the old Gladiator header panel in Delivery McGee's wreck pics.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
It's not as great as the 4.0, but still a pretty good motor. I wouldn't really have a problem with buying it, personally. Sounds like the guy took good care of it.

I see 4.2s on craigslist a lot for a couple hundred bucks, so if it does go it won't be too bad to replace.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it is. There were a lot of improvements. I think a big one is oiling. I've heard of a lot of 4.2s spinning bearings.

They are still good motors, but they don't have quite the tolerance for abuse as the 4.0s.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

russ6570 posted:

1987 Jeep Comanche, 4.0 litre, 5-spd, (working) 4wd

This is like winning the lottery, good find. Except I think 87 had the Peugeot transmission, yucky.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
You'll need to get the transfer case (NP231) with the AX-15, too. I think it'd be too much trouble to adapt the NP207 you have now. Plus the NP207 just isn't as good and the NP231 has a lower low-range.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
BEEP BEEP

Inherited this for the summer. Got a little work to do before I can hit the dirt.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

ZippySLC posted:

Eeh, it's a cool vehicle, but honestly I think you'd be better off taking that $1300 and putting into a cheap YJ or XJ. It all really depends on how much wrenching and waiting for parts you want to do.

I agree with this. Unless you really, really want a Willys, you should probably walk. You can get a much more reliable, complete, and cheaper to maintain project for $1300.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
The SM465 is a real beast, isn't it?

Probably not going to be fun or cheap to mate it to a transfer case. Do you know which version you have?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Disciple of Pain posted:

Do all Dana 44's have a recessed drain plug in the bottom?

Bottom of the diff? Not that I've seen. Maybe it's a military-only thing. You can still suck the fluid out through the fill plug on the cover.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I just noticed a little bit of some kind of red liquid under my Jeep today. Hmm, what ever could it be?

Another thing to fix before I can get out on the trail. Ugh.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Tranny or Tcase. It was under the center. On the plus side, I haven't noticed leaking gas as of late! :q:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Atticus_1354 posted:

My friend took off his trany/tcase skid plate on his old truck and all his tranny fluid had pooled on it. It dumped straight on his face. Good luck hunting down the leak.

I'm hoping it's just the line to the cooler. It was leaking at the cooler earlier, so I should just replace the line anyway. I think I gotta rebuilt the tcase, too, so I hope somewhere in there the problem will get fixed.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Turns out that wonderful rumble his jeep was making was from a 401 he swapped in to it.

This is where all my 401s are going! :argh:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Atticus_1354 posted:

There was a trashed old cherokee with a 401 on craigslist the other day and I almost bought it. The guy wanted $600 and the body was not to bad, but it lacked a drive train besides the engine. If only I had a place to put it.

I saw a Cherokee a long time ago with a 401 for $1200. The body looked great, but the back window was stuck down so there was probably rust all in the cargo area. I haven't seen any 401s since.

I should have bought it. The rust wouldn't scare me away now.

Cherokees are so badass too.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Atticus_1354 posted:

I would love to get a fsj and fix it up for camping and exploring. Probably wont be very many around when I am able to afford it.

They're not that expensive now. Just do it man.

But seriously, I don't think FSJs are going to get that much more expensive in the future. You can still get J trucks for pretty cheap now. I can see Cherokees and J trucks getting pricey, but there will always be Wagoneers around.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
That trip sounds awesome. I'm hoping to get my Jeep ready for some camping trips. Not for months, though. That's insane.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Is the Jeep wave just for Wranglers? Because no one waves at me.

Maybe they don't know that I drive a Jeep.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Holy crap, I didn't realize Herculiner came in colors other than black. Anyone tried one of those?

How does it insulate? I've heard of people using it for a little bit of sound deadening, but that matters little to me because it'll be loud as hell no matter what. Will it keep heat in like the carpet does?

Wasn't there a huge stickied random question megathread or am I imagining this? I lost my non-evap gas cap and replaced with an evap one. How much trouble will this get me into?

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 31, 2008

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Doh, didn't think to actually look for it

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Hell yeah, baby! That's what I'm talking about! What year and drivetrain?

BJ's Offroad has great performance parts and TeamGrandWagoneer can probably handle most of your resto needs. Between those and the IFSJA forums, you can find any part you could need.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
My rockers were replaced before, but my quarters look like Swiss cheese. As far as I know, the rockers don't actually do anything but look pretty. Don't quote me on that though.

Your tcase problem sounds like worn clutch cones to me, which is not critical. It means that your center diff is not-very-limited slip. A slipping chain usually means your tcase grenades pretty quickly. Once the chain jumps a tooth, it'll knock out a side of the aluminum case. Wait a few weeks and I'll let you know what it takes to replace the chain. I also get wheel hop and chirping tires when I stand on it out of a turn.

My Emergency Drive vacuum lines are poo poo so I gotta replace those. It's a common problem so I'll bet yours are too. Wait a few weeks and I'll let you know what it takes to replace them. :)

Did the PO just remove the low range lever or the whole cable? The lever is under the seat. I first thought mine didn't have it until we moved the seat back.

Sucks that you want to get rid of it. It's a pretty good looking truck for a great price.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I think I found where my pretty red liquid is coming from. The transmission pan gasket looks like hell. I reached up to feel it and a piece broke off in my hand. I guess I gotta drop the pan next week, which is disappointing because the fluid looks so pretty and bright.

I also think I found where the gas is leaking from (my purpose for crawling under it today). Looks like the tank has been patched at some point. Forgot to snap some pictures of my awesome dual exhaust setup for Disciple of Pain. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I think the two-tone white top would look cool. I'd at least give it a try at first to see what it looks like. You can always go back over it. Or cover it with green canvas. :)

If you're gonna pull the doors anyway, you should get rid of your back glass, too. A lot of people want the manual crank setup to replace their broken electric ones. You could get a few bucks to put back in your truck.