Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

What are you fellows thoughts on the Jeep Commander?

I had a '79 waggy with a 360 and quadratrac and I loved it as much as a man can love a vehicle. But, with the age of the machines, and the sudden revival of buying them and modding them as cheap 4wds, I cant find a decent one for a good price.

So, I started to think that maybe, a used commander with all the fun stuff (v8 QT2) would be just as good, but, have all the creature comforts a man could desire.

This rig wont drive much, and when it does itll be either for my off-road amusement, or because its too cold/wet for me to ride my bike to work and back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

I think it does have IFS.

Im not going to be doing crazy stuff, The worst I did on my waggy was sink it in a 4 foot deep mudhole.

Im in Oklahoma.

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

This would normally go in the ebay for sale areas, but this is more of a question for the forums.

I found this 1977 Cherokee S on ebay, the current bid was at $400, but the reserve had not yet been met. I decided that this truck, in running condition was worth at least that. So I called the fellow and drove out to see it.

The guy was at work, but he gave me good directions to see the truck. Here are some pics:

Its not in bad shape. Its a 4 barrel carb 360/auto/q-trac. The battery was dead, and my jumpers didnt transfer enough juice to get the engine to crank over fast enough to start, so, ill have to take the guys word that it runs great.

The radiator was dry, but the guy said its a leaky water pump and he will repair that before its sold. It also leaks a little oil, from where I am unsure.

So I was rather happy/excited about the possibility of taking this chero home. In my experience this truck in running shape is worth about 1000 bucks.

It needs:
Oil leak fixed
Water pump replaced
Air cleaner assembly and air filter
tailgate window fixed (stuck in the down position, and the key nor the paint match, so its much be off some other truck)
Tag brought up to date (kansas tag expired since July 07)
Windshield is cracked
Tailight and bulb is busted out on the pass side
Interior is shot, but mostly there.
Lots of wiring work under the hood/behind dash

On the way home I get a call on my cell, its the owner. We talk about the chero for a bit, and at the end I ask him what the reserve is. He said $2500.

:aaa:

I asked him, to be sure, if he meant 2500 dollars. He said yes.

I politely explained that I could find a MUCH better chero, in full working condition for that much, and declined wishing to buy his truck.

Am I off base thinking that is way too much for this thing? For craps sake, I couldnt even get it to run!

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

BFG ATs are the best tires ive ever owned.

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

Well I went looked at it, and drove it.

It drives great, it is 100% solid. I couldnt find any rust anywhere. The a/c clutch kicks in but it doesnt blow cold. Everything works, Has big tires and a 3 inch lift. The paint is kind of 'meh'. They did no prep work, you can see the outline of the honcho stickers under the paint.

The motor has blow-by, its pretty bad. The motor runs good, it'll pull the truck no prob, but I didn't romp on it. With the engine at idle you can watch smoke come from the oil fill tube.

It doesn't have a correct air cleaner assembly, the steps on the sides of the bed are gone, and the roll bar is missing. The guy is firm on his price of $3000. The bench seat is a bit tired.

I also saw this truck:

An 88 Waggy, Cold a/c, runs like a top, good paint/wood paneling, Drivers seat is lopsided, I guess the metal frame broke, since the back sits funny. Power Steering pump is shot, as is the back drivers side window, everything else works perfect. This one is $2500.

Every other truck ive looked at is crap, I saw a 79 Cherokee chief 4 door, Wouldnt start (carb is probably full of varnish) 4 spd trans, Not Q-trac, floor boards are about 50% rotten out, tag has been expired for 4 years, and she says the a/c 'works', engine 'runs good', trans 'works good'.

She was insulted when I offered $750 for it and said she would take no less than $1500.

For a truck that did not run, and was half rusted away.

So I ask, What would you guys do?

Honcho, Waggy or wait some more and see if anything better pops up?

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

Ive decided to go ahead and spend more money and buy a TJ.

So I'm looking for one of those. My perfect jeep would be a 4.0L auto with a hardtop and full doors. There is one on ebay I have the hots for; Item number 190254392551 But alas, its in Arizona, and I'm in Oklahoma. So its 1000 miles away.

From what Ive seen, ~$6000 is a good price. Ive tried looking at all the jeep forums and craigslist.

Here are my requirements if any of you know of any jeeps for sale, Im trying to stay with 97 and newer. It has to have a/c and an automatic transmission (wife doesn't want to learn ManTran). I want to stay under $6500. I can do $7000, but thats really pushing it.

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

Lookit what I just got!

2011 6spd Sport. No options except a/c.

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

commissargribb posted:

Nice H4, you'll have to let us know how many bags of groceries fit in the back. :smug:

I am actually removing the back seat for that reason :haw:

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

Braincloud posted:

When you take the doors off it automatically does that on the H4s...er JKs.

:smith:

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

Yay!

Now I dont feel so bad. I think im going to put on a set of cragar soft 8s w/ 33s, But im undecided about what tire to run...

The jeep will get quite a bit of highway driving to dirt bike racing events (10 times a year), towing 1250-1500 pounds. Most events are way off road in muddy/rocky terrain, and one or two are sandy a year.

MetalClawWolf fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 24, 2011

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

My 11 JK has the same thing going.

Not bad, but I am getting used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

Its been a while since ive posted on here.

Since then I got a bit of beef on the jk, and an AEV ProCal to adjust the speedo for the bigger tires, as well as 'take care' of my TPMS.

I got a new job in the Grand Canyon National Park, so I will be living there, and from what I understand, there is loads of ORV stuff nearby!