Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Jeep never made an FJ. I own an FJ, and it's not a jeep. The term you're looking for for the full size jeeps is SJ.

The CJ was sold through 1988, not just the 1970's.

Edit: Why do I seem to know more about jeeps than most jeep people? :cry:

I think it's because I'm sick of telling people "It's not a goddamn jeep!" and then having to explain the differences.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I actually have seen a 1984 Cherokee Chief that was an XJ body but had an SJ ID. Funny.

Methinks someone was trying to get around smog tests ;)

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Are you sure about that?

With enough time, you'd be amazed how much of the factory identification can be moved from one vehicle to another. I know of several mid-90's vehicles running around with pre-smog VINs. Also a couple imported vehicles running USDM VINs.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

jackyl posted:

06 LJ here (yes, not an official designation, I know) and trying to decide if March 1 is too soon to take the soft top off and go back to the safari.

Only if you want to tie my Toyota. I had the top and doors off at 10*, cruising around in a t-shirt and shorts on March 1.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

The actual answer was One. The General's staff car was a Willys; all the other quarter-ton utility trucks on base were Fords.

That'd only work if there weren't any M-715s. They say 'Jeep' in pretty drat big letters across the tailgate.

Since those are Kaiser vehicles, by extension the M35 would count as well. Kaiser made quite a few of those.

Disciple of Pain posted:

Interestingly enough - the M151s were never "officially" sold as surplus. It was easy to go fast and roll them so the military was supposed to cut them all in half. Somehow though we've had about 6-8 come through our military vehicle restoration shop in the last 20 years.

Some of them got out as parts, some of them escaped before they were decided not to be surplused, but most were just welded back together.

Aran posted:

Maybe it's just me, but a 15-20lb jack on an light piece of sheet metal just doesn't seem very safe for that piece of metal.

Those mounts are on the cowl.

That doesn't mean the hood wouldn't be fine. Haven't you seen expedition rigs with the spare tire mounted to the hood?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

SinJin posted:

For those of you that didn't know:

Jeep and Mopar will be at the annual Easter Jeep Safari in Moab and they'll be showing off at least two concepts. It's next week.

Oh God, please force them to make both the FC and new Gladiator.

I will buy one of them. Either/or, I don't care. Please make the flooring washable to get the semen stains out from the test drive.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I would have said the same thing if it didn't have portal axles. I hadn't noticed that before.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

kastein posted:

I'm honestly not sure what to do about vin check plus plugin emissions. There's no easy answer. Federal compliance is easy, you swap the engine and all emissions equipment from the donor, here's your cookie, you comply. Getting your patched together Frankenstein vehicle to comply with the particular state system rules that were written by people who don't swap engines and don't understand or care because 99.99% of the voters buy a new car every 5 years and never swap the motor? Good luck.

I’ve heard a theory that the ‘more’ strict states are better about this than the ‘less’ strict states (in places where you need a smog check, of course) because the places where they want the stricter rules actually work on the implementation. In places where they believe everything the government does is bad they don’t bother paying for a decent implementation.

A Land Cruiser shop recently moved from Wyoming to California and he said the difference was night and day - nobody in Wyoming could actually tell him what the rules were or how to meet them. In California they had a process for everything. He might disagree with the rules but at least he could figure out how to meet them.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

kastein posted:

"welding class"
- insert a dozen pictures of a horrific silicone, OSB, diamondplate, and duct tape redneck abortion -

Yeah...What part of that was welded?!

There are XJ floor patch panels available on Etsy. A friend installed a new driver’s floor last winter. His was bad enough the carpet was the only thing holding your feet in.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Send away scrapyard injectors to be cleaned. They function like new for about $20/injector.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I don’t see anything wrong with 4 cylinders if they’re geared right and you’re not planning to slog a mud pit with them. If this is a fun toy it doesn’t need a ton of power - a 4 cylinder jeep is comparable to a Toyota pickup and they still sell those with 4 cylinders.

That said, a 6 cylinder LJ with a hitch would do you well. For ease of wrenching an OBDII engine is probably best so you’re looking at a TJ or LJ.

Of course, if you’re okay working on weird fuel injection setups or carburetors a YJ or CJ would be awesome. A 4.2 YJ with a CJ front clip (which could be a father/son project way down the road) would be way up my list, personally.

And as said above, get a cheap dump run trailer.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Run the bedliner up as high as you can. I always see rust starting at the top edge, especially in the footwells.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Anybody need a Ford 9” that looks set up for a CJ? There’s a matching passenger-drop front axle, both are set up for 5x5.5”, and I bet I could get the set for under $100.

I’d be happy to strap it to a pallet and send it on the barge just to keep it from being scrapped.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Went back today, didn’t end up pulling it out but I think I did find a buyer for the axle. Another guy was going to buy an FJ60 for the axles because he busted an axle shaft on the AMC 20 in his CJ-5. His plan was to swap the FJ60 rear axle in as an upgrade :psyboom:

So he may get that 9” and I may end up with an FJ60. I may have already bought it, I’m not actually sure. But I do know there is no axle swap that guy is going to put in his CJ-5 that would be easier or cheaper than just replacing the AMC 20 shafts with single-piece upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

1-2 seconds without oil is probably fine. It does at least that long every time the oil filter drains out.