Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sindow posted:

This is the main reason I want to get a Jeep. I don't want to go to courses everyone goes to and try to skillfully go over a mile of terrain with a bunch of other people. That sounds fun, but what I really want to do is just go wherever the hell I want and camp out in the middle of nowhere. Planning out a trip, rationing out supplies, learning survival aid and all of those things combined with driving out in the middle of nowhere sounds like the best thing ever to me. It's like "oh, here is someplace that even in this day and age nobody ever goes to. there is nobody for miles. this rocks, time to bust out a guitar and a campfire."

This is what I want to do.
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8647

I thought about doing the Jeep Jamboree but just saving the money and doing something like this for yourself and a few friends and like minded people is where its at.

Heres a pic of me and my Jeep from a while back when I first got it. I have since added a thule rack on top :)

I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sindow posted:

That's cool, plus I'm pretty sure that white is my favorite color of Jeep. White Jeeps rock.

I wish I would have gotten the Forest Green. Too many silver ones on the road.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Molten Llama posted:

On another note entirely, how are the JK Wranglers holding up for you guys that have had them a while? I'm shopping for one, but people on the internets bitching about rusty hinges and the Freedom Top are making me worry.

I have 13,000 miles on mine (X) and the only problem I had was with a leaky freedom top. I took it back to the dealership where they "tightened some bolts" and I never had it leak again. Now that its the summer, the top is mostly off anyway.

I love the JK, the ride is much more smooth than the older TJs but still feels completely at home out on the tough trails.

As for gas mileage, I recently took a trip to Vegas with a friend and averaged 22 mpg. Not bad!!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Godholio posted:

You CAN get by with a D35 with 33s. That seems to be as big as most folks are willing to go without an upgrade.

You're gonna have no power on the highway though. And you still may have to replace the axle anyway, the D35 doesnt get its reputation out of nowhere.

Ive heard the D35s in the JKs are almost (or just as) as strong as the older D44(incresed spline strength). Anyone confirm/deny??

edit: D30s not D35s. I am a moron.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 1, 2008

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

They may have upgraded the design a bit, I have not seen the new ones

Its definitely a bigger axle. It wouldnt suprise me if this rumor is true.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Qweezy posted:

From what I've read, taking a Wrangler out stock isn't the greatest idea in the world.

LIES!

Seriously, like someone else mentioned, the Jeep is THE most off road capable vehicle that comes right off the production line. The only thing that comes close is the FJ.

I took mine up a trail I probably shouldn't have when I first got it. It was way back in the hills and through a seriously wicked rock garden. Keep in mind that mine is a stock X. It handled it like it wasn't even really a problem. At one point I had the rear right tire off the ground!!

I like to compare it to going out and mountain biking (because the two sports share some similarities). Know the vehicles limits, know your limits and you should be fine.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

InitialDave posted:

*In the USA.

Yes The Defender is pretty badass. But throw me a decision between a 2008 Rubicon and a 08 Land Rover Defender and its a hard choice.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

InitialDave posted:

VVVV: My posts tend to be very :britain:-flavoured. Yeah, the UK Rubicon is petrol/auto only, in a country where the majority of serious offroaders swear by manual 'boxed diesels. What's that about? :confused:

Yeah they did it all wrong here. They didn't listen to their customers (no surprise) and make a stick diesel version. People would have paid handsomely for, I know I would have.

Can you get the defender in a stick??

**Interesting tidbit, the engine that is in the new defender is also out of a minivan!! haha!! :D

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ethanol posted:

I bought a jeep today! I spotted a 1999 Wrangler Sport with 60,000 miles on craigslist and get a testdrive. I fell in love immediately. The thing is immaculate, flawless paint.. the whole deal.

It's a 5 speed manual with AC. 32 inch tires and a small lift kit. Pretty stock overall. It's black and amazing. Interior is flawless, paint is flawless, not a speck of rust.

It doesn't have a Dana 44 but I don't care, the jeep is in way way too good condition to pass up for an axle.

It was a world of differance from the 2000 sahara I drove last night. It drove so much better... no comparison.

Hello fellow jeep owners!

P.S. Sorry for the double post, I got sick of waiting for somebody else to bump this.. I waited a few hours.

Post some pics :)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ethanol posted:

I'm willing to get a d35 if it's in excellent condition but I'd really just like to skip the worry and have a dana 44, you know? I plan on putting 32 to 33" A/Ts on a 3 inch lift.

Question: Did the TJs need drivetrain replacments like the JKs if you go over 3 inches on a lift? Is the same problem existant?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Braincloud posted:

Just did a trail write-up with pics of the new Rubi:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2899151

In case anyone here is interested.

Awesome. Mucho love for the Rubi...

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I was gonna drive my Jeep today, but it was INFESTED WITH ANTS. The front two doors have ants crawling all around them. What the gently caress? I have no idea why they decided to build a nest in there. There isn't any food or trash in there for them to eat. Bizarre. Why can't they just stick to digging in the drat ground?

Ants like to take it off road too brah!!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ablank posted:

Well after sitting for the past several months the Jeep lives again, last time I took it out a horrible noise started coming from the driver's side front wheel, I thought a rock got caught between the rotor and the guard, so limped out of the trail to the parking area, and went to pull the wheel. As I was removing it I noticed LOTS of play, so new wheel hub time. Limped home and parked it, it sat for four months, and finally a weekend with no rain, and I'm in town, so Saturday afternoon out came the beers and the jeep went on the jack stands. While it was up, I checked the passenger and it was almost as bad, with a second wheel hub in hand the replacement proceeded. About half way through the replacment I took a break and went looking for the key. It wasn't in it's usual drawer, it wasn't where'd I'd leave it occasionally in the garage. Went to ask the wife and she had no clue where it was :(. Another trip to the parts store for a cheap ignition cylinder and key.

Finally got every thing done, the jeep starts, the tires have air, and it's only making the noises I've grown used to for the past 150,000 miles. Sunday comes and it's the reckoning. Went to the local offroad park with a Tacoma, a Vehicross, a H1, a Rubicon and my toy. We found some nice trails to play on, and even with stock wheel sizes on and no lockers it'll get through most of the places everyone else can (, with enough throttle).

So here's some pics

VehiCross

My Jeep

H1 flex

My line was a little to aggressive here, according to people watching both fronts were off the ground. It was feeling like it was about to go over, put the clutch in and rolled down the hill and tried a line with less of a vertical end.

needs more ground clearance

Nearly had it on the passenger side trying this section, there is a huge drop in front so I have to go hard right, and there's a ledge on my side to my right, so as I'd slide the jeep over it would drop down and both driver side wheels were air-born for a while till it decided to fall back onto the tires. Of course everyone was too busy dropping jaws to take pics of that and I wasn't going to do that again.

So that's a Sunday of wheeling in Houston, first time I've gotten to try out my sliders from SHRockworks and they did the job, I spent alot of time on them and would have a very messed up body without. Next weekend I'm hoping to have a camcorder and get some video of my stupidity.

Just out of curiousity, how does that vehicross do out on the trails??

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Maybe some of the JK owners out there can help me with this one. Why is it that Jeep gave me a switch for the ESP but requires me to hold it down for 5 seconds to truly turn it off? What value is there in having the vehicle is 4 high or low and hitting the switch (quickly) and it not being truly off?? Maybe I just dont understand the feature that well.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

sw0cb posted:

Because Chrysler makes terrible traction control systems. Theres a code on the JKs to turn it off forever, turning it off normally doesn't really turn it completely off, and the 4hi trick still leaves some elements active. Its only really off in 4lo or when you use the code. I put the code in on mine the 2nd day I had my Rubi and haven't looked back.

Im wondering what these elements are. If it turns off only stability control and not traction control (by pressing and holding the button) what good is turning it off in the first place??

I have felt the stability control kick in if I go too fast around a corner, but now I know where the limit is so its not really like I need it on.

And I agree the traction control system sucks.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Just a reminder for all the new Wrangler owners out there. Last night I had the spare stolen off the back :( I feel like such a jackass for not getting a wheel lock sooner. Learn from my mistake, if you havent gotten one get one!!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ZippySLC posted:

It's really the most underwhelming Jeep I've owned, which is a shame since it's (on paper, at least) an excellent vehicle.

Ive heard people split on this. Some have said what you have and others who've said its even more capable than the TJ Rubi...

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ZippySLC posted:

I think part of it is that it's so computer controlled, I feel so disconnected from everything with it. To me it doesn't feel like a real Jeep. *shrug*

It may be better on rocks than the TJ Rubi, but in loose sand and tight trails, my TJ seemed to do better. At least that's how I feel about it anyway.

Ill admit, that I really dont like the ESP feature on mine as its kind of lame. Ive seen it add no real benefit and it acts like a hinderance more than a help.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

BigKOfJustice posted:

I don't know, the reaction to the JK puzzles me, I think it's a decent rig, I almost picked one up but decided to wait until I paid off my current truck first. The jeep community on some forums are split, some hate the JK and I think many reviews online will reflect that. My friend custom ordered a short wheel base JK and never had any issues with it.

Another issue is that you're seeing more people buy the JK and not taking it off road at all [I'm seening plenty of JK's in LA with big rims and some that are slammed] which must piss the enthusiasts off.

I have almost 20K miles on mine (2 dr) and its been great! I love taking it out to the desert and seeing some other jeeps out there too. Ive seen quite a few JKs out there as well, so people are using them.

What I havent seen is a lot of people (other than Rubicon owners) doing anything to their X's and Unlimiteds. People seem to be leaving them pretty stock.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Gavitron posted:

I'm this close to buying a brand-new '08 JK next week, and wanted to know if there are any surprises to watch out for? I just read through all 26 pages of this thread, hoping to find the answers here already, but some questions still remain;

I'm looking at an X unlimited, with the power options, the dual-top, and a dealer-installed trailer hitch. The only real difference I see between it and a Rubi is the Front Diff, and the Electric sway bar disconnects. Did I miss something major? Also, despite what ZippySLC says on page 25, is the SWB that big a deal? I mean, I think the Rubi package adds like, $3-4k to the final price - is SWB worth $4k?

Also, what's the largest tire size the JK can take without a lift? is it 33"? The JK runs Dana44s on the rear stock now, so I don't think the diffs are going to be a problem going to 35's anymore, just body clearance. Also, what about Rim backspacing, and tire width?

[edit: I'll google some more for rims, not waste time asking for stores.]

I have an X that I'm thinking of going with a 3" lift with 33's. I have a 3.73 ratio axle and it should work fine and still have enough power getting around on the streets. If you put 35s on a stock X there is going to be some serious rubbing going on if you take it to the trails...

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The King of Swag posted:

I still can't get over how weird the 4-door model looks compared to the much more traditional looking 2-door. That said, I'd buy either in a heartbeat if only they brought back the I6 and dropped that hideous slanted grill (vertical now and always).

What options did you get by the way?

Is the I6 really that much better than the engine thats in the JK now?? I would really like to see a side by side anaylsis of which is better.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

LouReed posted:

Actually, the JK has a 3.8 litre v6, closely related to their current 4.0 v6.

Here is a bunch of 3.8 liter specs (from allpar.com)

Category----------------3.8 Liter (2005)------------4.0 Liter I6

Bore x Stroke-----------3.78 x 3.43 (96 x 87)-------98.4 mm x 86.7 mm

Valves------------------12 valves-------------------12 Valves

Compression Ratio-------9.6:1-----------------------8.8:1

Power (SAE net)---------205 hp----------------------190hp @4600rpm

Torque (SAE net)--------240lb-ft--------------------235lb-ft @3200

Max. RPM----------------5,800 rpm-------------------5,300 rpm

Looks to me like they even out nicely with the 3.8 putting out a bit more.

Also, Im not exactly sure why they would state 2005 for the 3.8 since it didnt come out until 2007 :confused:

Edit: Also is that 4600rpm and 3200rpm for both engines or just the I6??

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 24, 2008

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Gavitron posted:

Also, does anyone know how aftermarket roof racks mount to the hardtop? I'd hate to have to drill through the fibreglass, but if I must, I must.

Thats what I did but I also have a two door. I think it would work a little differnet on a 4 door. I went with the thule artificial rain gutters and drilled into the hardtop to attach them. Yes it is fiberglass, yes it will eat through drillbits :)

I then added the thule load bars and the medium sized thule towers and threw on a MOAB basket and a bike rack. Attaching and removing the rack is a piece of cake too.

I peronally believe that adding the brackets to the side is stronger than adding anything to the top. The tops on the JKs are a lot more susceptible to bending than the hardtops used on the TJ, and because of that distributing the weight on the sides IMO is better than putting it up on top.

Ill get some pics up when I get the chance.

edit: Pics!

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Put the MOAB basket on a week later...

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 26, 2008

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

BigKOfJustice posted:

The technology is there, it just needs to get to market. An electric hybrid jeep would be awesome for guys who daily drive their trucks around town using only the battery, and then have the gas/diesel engine kick in when they really need the power or range to head out to the trails on the weekend.

If Jeep made a hybrid wrangler (X, Rubi, whatever) that used a diesel engine, I think a lot of people would be all over it. How long have Jeep enthusiasts been begging for a diesel engine from the factory?? (I mean in the US) *sigh*

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Does anyone have any experience using the Jeep Trail guide?? They are still pretty expensive to get a hold of (~$600), but its also one of the few models that I know of that does breadcrumbs. Is this thing worth the money or are there some better alternatives out there??

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Baby Hitler posted:

Honestly after working at the place selling the Lowrance units to all the desert racers, I've never really liked them much. They still are basically marine chart plotters with at-best ultra basic route planning. Also the smallest (540c) is the same as the largest (9200) in everything except raw screen size and $1200, there are no feature or benefit changes. The 9200c has a hard drive (worthless) and dual card slots, but thats it. Lowrances can't stand desert racing, the return levels on the units was pretty high, and the antennas (which are $200 each out of warranty) probably reach 75%. They don't do anything people want from a car GPS, and still break in the desert.

I did really like the Lowrance XOG, its their tiny handheld. Reads the Lowrance maps and does turn-by-turn and plays music. I thought it was a good alternative to the cheapest Garmin Nuvi, but the newer Nuvi models do traffic and stuff, which is pretty neat.

I think Ill end up going with a garmin quest 2. Its essentially a trail guide but with more memory and for a whole lot cheaper. The nice thing is that you can buy the mount that holds the trail guide and the quest will fit nicely in it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Can anyone recommend a good rear tire rack that will hold a couple of gerry cans and a highlift for a JK??

I got my wishlist going ;)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

FugeesTeenMom92 posted:

Wheee I may be joining the SA Jeep contingent. Granted, the only offroading it will do is likely to be slippery riverbanks to grab my kayak, but it will be driven in "impassible" snow covered roads many many times this winter.

That things clean...too clean, go dirty it up a bit! :)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Can we stop breaking tables with our images guys? Please???

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

leica posted:

UH OH WHAT DID I DO

I bought another Cherokee, that's what I did. :colbert:

IMMACULATE interior. And notice that little stick in the console? I'm officially cool in AI now.

gently caress what's wrong with the seat how can that possibly happen

It's cool brah, the PO "threw in" this awesome replacement seat from a 92. SWEET.

Not all that bad considering I paid only a grand for it. 1997 with 104k.

Nice deal!! I love beaters.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

benzero posted:

Well, here's my new baby. 05 unlimited wrangler. got a quadratec catalog and I can tell I am going to go broke quickly.

Nice! Im going to agree with the above. Quadratec when they run sales is pretty competitive, but you can usually get better deals elsewhere.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

docno posted:

Sold my old one:
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

(drove around the dirt in PA)

I haven't gotten the new Jeep dirty yet, but I plan to!
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition

I don't have the income to support a rock crawling hobby, I keep to the basic trails and have fun off the road.

I contemplated buying one of these too but lack of a solid front axle ruled it out for me.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

docno posted:

Yeh, I know it's not the best equipped to handle crawling, but after checking out 4xguard's rigs, I want my truck to look like these:
http://www.4xguard.com/Products/customer%20rigs%20p1.html

Thats tight. And it looks like more than capable of handling a little more than your basic trail obstacles (mud, rocks, etc).

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

NuckmasterJ posted:

Me and my brothers used to wheel all the time till my Range Rover started having problems. Poor girl, 1990 and her T/Case was starting to go, combined with tons of small problems I had to put her down (She is my field truck around the property now). My brother however wheels at least three times a week in his Jeep. I can't believe the drat thing still runs. One day I will rebuild a Range Rover and put him to shame.

Click here for the full 1000x663 image.

Any of you guys ever see a Range Rover out on the trails? I loved my baby but I found weighing in at 5990lbs plus me, beer, three passengers and slightly larger BFG Mud Terrains then stock I had some trouble in the squishy bottomless soup. :D

Ive seen a Defender out in the desert. That thing is just bad-rear end.

I did recently see a caravan of Land Rover HSEs out on the trails but they didnt take it onto some of the more extreme sections which was probably a good idea.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

HR posted:

It appears the doors were stolen and the vehicle was in a front end collision, with a frankenstien of a repair job.

Not to mention the miles are "unlisted".

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Boomerjinks posted:

Pretty.

Very! There is just something about those old Cherokees. Love those rims too.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

carlcarlson posted:

I do, and it totally drags rear end until the RPMs get to ~1,700 or so. When I'm not driving like an rear end in a top hat and I shift gears like I should, it takes a couple of seconds or so before it feels like it begins to accelerate.

I too am interested in mods, but nothing that is going to void my warranty

Edit: I also have the 3.21 rear end

I have 3.73 in my rear and while its still a dog, it accelerates good enough to get me on the freeway (which is all I really care about).

I am more interested in upgrading tires, wheels and a lift than I am in getting more performance out of the engine at this point.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Gavitron posted:

'Sup 10k buddy!

Mines almost hit 35K. I guess Ive been lovin mine a bit too much!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Question: I'm thinking of throwing a new set of wheels and tires on my Jeep here soon. I've been thinking about the Crager soft 8s (since their cheap). Whats the difference between 17"x8" and 17"x9's?? Will one accept a bigger tire than the other??

edit: Its an 08 JK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Makes sense. Thanks.