Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Cross post:

Just got back from the Outer Banks. It was a blast as usual. I know the trails seem kind of lame but I didn't take any pictures during the harder ones because, well, it's really hard to take pictures and hold on. All in all it was a good day and the only bummer was my buddy's diff breaking. The only thing he was pissed about was that it happened on the road and not on the trail.

Getting ready to roll out

Just some beach scenery

A very broken diff and a very expensive tow back home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

CommieGIR posted:

With the broken diff, why didn't you just disconnect the rear axle and put it in 4x4 high and drive it with the front?

I've seen several friend do that when their differential died

It wasn't my Jeep so it wasn't my decision. We left to get some gear oil because he was going to drive in 4h all the way home but while we were at the store they discovered something that prevented the drive home but I don't know what it was.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

CatBus posted:

An awesome flatbed Jeep Forward Control FC170 I saw on the side of the road a few years back. I'd love to own one some day!

That is unspeakably cool.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

CommieGIR posted:

Go check the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_V8_engine

You wrote that they were V-6 and they're actually V-8 so you're both kind of wrong.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

K posted:

Hey Jeep'ers, how do soft tops fair during rough winters? I'll be moving to Chicago this summer. Should I consider an additional, after-market hard top?

They don't insulate too well but as long as it's in good shape so no wind blows in your face while moving you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

mas posted:

Hopefully this is in the right thread. I'm going to look at a 1961 Willy's Jeep Wagon tomorrow after work. Guy says it runs good but needs brakes. Has a new master cylinder but needs rear brake lines. 3-speed, 4wd works fine. frame has been painted with the body off already. Front clip has been sanded and primered already. The rest obviously still needs work. No gas tank either, but it has a fuel cell in the cargo area for now. He wants $1300 for it as it sits with the "new" 31" tires and the fuel cell, or will take $900 for it w/out tires and cell. I've tried looking around online and prices for similar year and condition stuff are all over the map. I just want a neat/decent 4wd project to mess around with. Not planning on restoring it for show or anything like that. Is this a decent deal?

(click for big on the first one)

I'd buy that thing for 1300. I don't know if it's a good price but I'm stupid when it comes to that stuff anyway.