Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.
I have a question... I've wanted a Jeep for quite a while, just an old beater. How are Jeeps for moderate/light towing? Could a 4.0 Wrangler or Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee) pull, say, an aluminum trailer with a <3,000 lb car for up to 100 miles or so, maybe 200 max?

I don't want to buy a truck just to be able to tow a car trailer, because a Jeep would be infinitely more practical and, well, fun. I know the short wheelbase of the Wrangler might limit its towing ability, so I'm thinking an old beater late-80s to early-90s Cherokee might be the ticket. They show up for around $2k in decent shape whereas a Wrangler is almost never under $5k in any drivable condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.

KickStand posted:

Sandusky Ohio here. Got slammed for two days by that big storm, over a foot of snow with drifts 2 or 3 times as high as that.

That looks miserable. How do you people live like that?!? I'd sell a kidney to move somewhere warm if I lived somewhere that happened...

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.
Jeeeeeeep guys, tell me whether or not this is a decent deal.

http://bham.craigslist.org/car/623946092.html

Too bad the guy apparently can't buy a camera. I talked to him on the phone for 10 minutes today, and he seems to know what he's talking about. He has a Jeep trail rig, and is selling this because he has 2 jeeps, his wife's car, and a company truck so its just sitting. He said the oil has been changed every 3000 miles and the transmission fluid ever 20,000 or so. He does all his own maintenance. To me, that probably means its in pretty good shape, because NOBODY ever changes transmission fluid that often except the most die-hard of enthusiasts. I'm pretty enthusiastic about maintenance, and track my cars, and I still can't be bothered to change trans/diff fluid on any regular schedule.

So... is that a decent deal for a high miles but well maintained Cherokee? Tires are 90+% tread, suspension is recent, steering is recent, control arms and such replaced, etc., etc. I know it isn't the bargain of the decade, but I don't think I'm just pissing money down a drain either.

miklm fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 5, 2008