Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

Rhyno posted:

So uh...

If, theoretically I were to come into the possession of a Patriot, would you guys kick me out of the club?

Well that depends. Are you trading your balls in as part of the down payment.
however if you drive a real jeep and you are just buying this to remain brand loyal with a reasonable gas milage grocery getter, then you are safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'll probably keep the Cherokee as I love her to death and would rather cut off my hand than lose her. The Patriot would be almost totally paid for if I chose to get it. It's complicated, I dont really have a choice in what car I would get in this deal.

As a Cherokee owner myself I can understand you commitment to it. If you would end up with an almost fully paid vehicle and a jeep to fool around in then go right ahead.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005

Agrocrag posted:

So I had my first off-roading experience in my friends 4runner and it was fun as poo poo; he has me convinced that I should sell my 2003 Nissan maxima and buy a jeep wrangler.

What year/model should I look for with the best off-road capability, priced around $9k?

Just remember the JEEP acronym:
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005

leica posted:

Could I get some opinions on all terrain tires? I have a 99 XJ, live in western New York, so I need very good snow traction. I also manage a campground so I'm on dirt/gravel roads a lot and occasionally go off road. So far I'm considering:

1) BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K/O
2) Firestone Destination A/T
3) Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

I'm leaning towards the Firestones since they're the highest rated and cheapest out of the three at $81 each compared to the others around $105 each. Also I'm wondering how wide I can go on the stock wheels. It came stock with 215's but currently has 225's. Can I go up to 235's for a wider patch without problems? Or am I just better off with 215's for better MPG and cheaper tire?

As another WNY goon I have to say the BFG AT T/A K/O have never failed me in the snow with my Cherokee. They performed amazing the the October Storm a few years back.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'm sure someone will give you a better answer, but I looked at a xj from Pennsylvania and it was pretty obvious. I would shine a light in to the "frame" and check things like the transmission mounts. I would also bang on the floor some as that can get pretty rusted out. Also check the gas tank and the top side of any skid plates where water can pool.

Atticus pretty much hit on the big areas. As a Buffalo resident, the salt here will eat through the floors and unibody of an XJ if they don't get a good underbody wash every couple weeks. I know a lot of people who swear by the 5-speed. I have an auto personally so i cant speak from personal experience on that matter. But to reiterate the biggest places to look are the floorboards, "frame",and mounts. Depending on where that XJ has been around here you may also want to check under the fenders as the soil around here likes to eat metal.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
the coils up front will work. However i would not recommend the blocks in back as that tends to be unstable and can possible warp the leaf springs faster.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredvehicles/154_0904_international_buys_jeep/index.html

may not be true, but I pray it is. This would probably be the best this for Jeep and Jeep enthusiasts right now.

quote:

The new International Jeep Corporation will kill off the Patriot, Commander, and Compass for the 2010 model year. The Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, and Liberty will carry on with a few changes. The Diesel Grand Cherokee will retain the 3.0L diesel engine and the gas engine options. International has signed a contract to keep all current key Chrysler employees and to option the Chrysler engines for up to 5 years. The Grand Cherokee redesign will get pushed back a few years. Meanwhile the Liberty will also be offered with the 3.0L V-6 diesel package. International aims to bring the cost of the package down through greater numbers.

Please make this true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, and then was promptly beaten by a Suzuki Samurai.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/27/chileans-top-jeep-altitude-record-with-modded-suzuki-samurai/

When you compare the two treks, the Samurai was very heavily modified. The jeep only had a winch, tires, and altimeters added. Its really not a fair comparison.