Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
23 long days until I will finally get my Jeep!

After several years of bugging my dad to sell me his TJ that he never drives, he has relented. It's a 1999 Sahara with ninety-some thousand miles on it, never wheeled (except a few quick runs by me :ssh:), and is bone stock. It has been the object of my desire since my dad bought it new my junior year of high school.

No immediate plans for modifications as it will be my daily driver for now, but I'm looking at some goodies I can spend some money on. I'll probably be ordering some full soft doors to have something to go on and off quick and easy for those Florida summer rain showers that can pop up. I'll also be needing some kind of locking storage solution so I can secure miscellaneous stuff and especially for my guns on trips to the range. I would be interested to hear any recommendations anyone might have for specific products, as there seem to be an abundance of options. Oh yeah, and a new head unit apparently since my dad says the CD player has been hit and miss for a while now, and is mostly miss the last few times he's driven it.

He's giving it to me for a steal at $4k. I'm flying up to Pensacola and driving it back to Tampa in three weeks. I may try to get some pictures up here if I can borrow a camera from someone once I've got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Anyone have experience with any of the various mirror relocation kits out there? I'll probably order a set when I order my full soft doors (apparently no side mirrors is legal in Florida, but I would still prefer to have them on). I'm sure they're all pretty much the same, but I thought I would see if there what any input out there. 1999 Sahara Wrangler, BTW.

Countdown at 12 days until I buy the Wrangler...

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

I'll be taking my 99 TJ on a short road trip from Tampa up to Ocala National Forest next weekend for a couple of nights of camping. We'll be driving around on some trails most likely while out there and I want to make sure my poo poo's working right. The 4wd has been used seldomly and gingerly in my Jeep's 15 years. Mostly just in short runs when I find myself off pavement, just for the sake of engaging it. Is there anything I should check or inspect before heading off? Or am I just overthinking things? We're not talking serious wheeling or anything, most likely just some sugar sand and the random bit of water or mud. The drive system/ 4wd has never had an issue, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

EightBit posted:

Change the ATF in the transfer case, if it hasn't been done before. Might be a good time to check the oil in your differentials, too.

Thanks!

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

I need new shocks for a 99 TJ. Everything's stock and I'm on 31x10.50's. Occasional driver vehicle and the most offroading it sees is some sandy Florida trails here and there. Any suggestions? Don't want to spend a fortune but I'm willing to upgrade a bit if it's worthwhile.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Thanks, I'll check those out

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

I've been driving my 99 TJ since my dad bought it new, and then I bought it from him about 8 years ago. 20 years behind the wheel of it and driving in bad Florida storms is still terrifying at times. I've never driven it anywhere prone to ice and snow bit I imagine that's not a good time either.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Like you said, the wind is the biggest thing. At any thing nearing highway speeds in high wind I'm getting blown around in my lane.

The tiny near-vertical windshield and tiny wipers are not conducive to good visibility in heavy rain.

In my case my ac doesn't blow cold and I'm not inclined to fix it since it's a second vehicle and generally only gets driven when I can have a bikini top and no doors. The rare situation where I'm driving in the rain with the Jeep closed in I'm dealing with all the windows fogging up.

If you've got off-road tires there's a good chance they don't channel water well so water on the road means you've got to pay attention to keeping everything under control.

Perhaps terrifying is a bit of hyperbole, but I would describe it as exhausting to drive in real bad weather since you're devoting 100% of your effort and attention to staying away from a ditch or another car or guard rail.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

My brother bought an 06 Rubicon Unlimited today. Totes jelly

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Speaking of TJ gauges, my 99 TJ's gauges will occasionally go dead for a bit. No tach, speedometer, etc and the odometer will say "NO BUS" or something like that. A quick tap or two on top of the dash or hitting a bump in the road usually brings it back pretty quick or it does on its own before too long so I'm guessing it's loose wiring or something silly like that. Anyone know where I need to start looking for the gremlins?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Going to use some time off next week to change the oil in my 99 4.0 TJ. This will only be the second time doing it myself, when it was a daily driver and needed it more frequently I always just took it someplace to do it. It's garage kept in Florida and these days only sees a few hundred miles a year of mostly just me tooling around town for weekend errands. So my questions are- is there any specific brand/weight of oil that would be best for me? I know I did a full synthetic last time and did some googling about what to use, but don't recall exactly what I ended up buying. And then how often should I really be changing the oil if just using it for super low miles around town?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Good to know, I won't sweat the exact oil at all. What about the interval? If miles and use aren't really a factor, and what point is the time the oil's been sitting in there?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Also check and make sure the heater core isn’t bypassed…

…Yes I live in the south, why?

Yup, been there done that on my old S10 Blazer in college. If (when) my TJ's goes out no way I'm bothering to replace it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Planning out some projects to clean up my Jeep. It's a 99 TJ Sahara, 4.0 5-speed. My dad bought it new when I was in high school, and I bought it from him 12ish years ago. It's pretty much all original, about 120k miles. Never been abused or offroaded hard, but it's 24 years old and shows it in some regards. It gets to live in a garage now and hasn't been a daily driver for a long time, so I want to start chipping away at some maintenance and minor upgrades.

I'm thinking to start with the interior, which should be all DIY-able. The factory carpet all got pulled and tossed a few years back due to some water leaks getting it a bit nasty. There's a few spots of minor surface rust on the tub and some chips and minor rust on things like seat mounts and brackets. Current plan in my head is to work in sections and pull out seats, center console, seat brackets, seat belts, etc, clean the parts and tub, treat and paint any rust, and reinstall everything. Then I'll put in new carpet, seat covers, rollbar covers, and new speakers in the dash and soundbar.

The one headache I'm anticipating is the bolts being pretty well stuck in the tub. I've got some Kroil I can hit them with if needed. Anyone have any advice on other issues I may encounter disassembling or reassembling, or parts that may end need more repair or just replacement? Any components that are going to be more trouble than they're worth to pull that I should leave in place? What else am I not considering here?

Then the question is what carpet to put in. I've seen Bedrug recommended a lot, but it doesn't come in tan, which I'd really like to stick with. I'm not super concerned with sound or heat dampening, beyond if the heat will gently caress up the carpet. If anything I'd probably just put some kind of heat barrier over the trans tunnel, but I'd love to hear any advice or experience with all of this.