Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think my favorite parts of Sopranos are Tony's interaction with his family - not his wife and children but his parents and sisters. The little touches, like how he idolises his father, his resentment towards his mother, his hate/protective relationship with Janice, and how Barbara is probably the sole person in the world who he's never pissed off at.

My favorite scene in the last episode was his talk with Janice, the whole "You are the only one who realized that was a joke" thing. He has some great moments with Janice, after she shot Richie and when he got out of the hospital, for example.

"We buried him...on a hill..."

"Oh..."

"Overlooking a little river...with pinecones all around..."

"You did?"

"Come on Janice, what the gently caress?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, Tony actually loved Carmela.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

What exactly is meant every time someone talks about "putting some money out on the street"? It;s mentioned a couple of times throughout the series. I had figured it was broad language describing a number of illegal investing stuff. But I'm thinking maybe it's more specific after hearing Carmella know about it and what it means enough to be sort of envious she couldn't do the same as well (her house project was floundering at the time)

In season 6 when Carm and Rho are talking about Angie after she starts running that body shop pretty well the dialog is something like...

Rho: Apparently she's been putting her money out on the streets.
Carmella: She's got enough to do that?? Where'd you hear that?
Rho: Angie told me. Oh geez. Maybe Tony didn't want you to know that. Me and my big mouth.

Is it just super generic "doin' mafia things with money to make more money" or is there some actual meaning to the phrase?

in the same vein, what the hell are "no-show" and "no-work" jobs?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Midnight- posted:

Been re-watching the entire series over the past few weeks, and god I never really realised how annoying Meadow was and how completely spoilt and how completely ignorant to that she was.

And still - STILL - she's the better child out of the two.

hate AJ SO MUCH

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ishamael posted:

I had the opposite impression - it was one of the first smart, calculated moves Tony had made in a long time. Too often he let his rage dictate his actions, this was one moment when he saw a potential problem coming, and defused it before it could damage him. And who the gently caress cares what happens to Feech, he was a giant dick anyways. Would you have felt bad if Tony had done the same to Richie? I wouldn't have.

Yeah, that really showed character growth to me. He didn't fall in one of his rages or anything like that, or violently kill him, just got rid of someone who would no doubt prove to be some kind of an issue in the future.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Wire is the better show, Tony Soprano is the best character...that's a pretty good summary in my opinion. To be fair to all those amazing characters in Wire, of course, if any show focused on them in the same extent, they would probably get the same.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Carthag posted:

Sure, but Tony is a top guy, I guess he's only kicking up to the head of the NY families. Carmine/Johnny Sack/Leotardo, whoever else is running it.

I thought they were more like partners, I don't think Tony was ever shown kicking up to anybody.

haljordan posted:

Jr. and Richie running coke on the garbage routes led to one of my favorite "Tony going Alpha Dog on someone" moments of the whole series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81eO_-axzDI

"I loving hate the way you make me loving ride you."

To me, that's more violent than Tony just beating the poo poo out of him with a bat.

These moments are the best in the series. Tony Soprano is just such a monster and really, anyone can just beat up someone, that doesn't make him scary. Moments like these show how he can keep all these violent murderers in line - he's worse then any of them.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yup. But Jesus, no wonder Tony is so goddamn fat. I swear if I lived in Italy (or Jersey, I guess) I'd weigh so loving much.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

marktheando posted:

Yeah she's really great. Re-watching a few months ago, it had been so long since watching her episodes I had forgotten how horrible a person Livia was. Which does make me have a lot more sympathy for Tony and Janice.

Deciding to stay away from her hosed up family is probably the best decision the rarely seen other Soprano sister ever made.

Yeah, she seems pretty well-off for that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ishamael posted:

Tony knows how to lead his kind of people, with shows of alpha aggression and violent outbursts. When he tries it with his kids it always fails, but it's the only type of leadership he really is good at.

It works short term at the least. AJ gets a job, Meadow goes back to school, etc. It's the only way he gets anything through to people in his life for the most part.

I'm reminded by one of my favorite scenes, the end of Season 5 when Tony goes to have a discussion with Johnny Sack. The whole season he's tried to reason with him, be nice, respectful and all that, but at the end he just loving demolishes him and all his pathetic little objectations by being what he truly is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=modmq0hnLSA

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TheBalor posted:

I think the kid probably could have eaten Tony alive if he had played it smart, but mobsters aren't very good fighters and between the two of them, Tony had far more experience. He was also picking the fight, so he knew exactly what moves he was going to make.

Tony is pretty freaking strong, though. I mean he can straight up just pick a woman off the ground and he's killed people without a gun multiple times in the show. And he's shown pretty clearly have had a lot of experience in brawls. He's fat as hell but out of all the characters in the show, he in my opinion comes off strongest as a straight-up killer.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MrBling posted:

Man, AJs grand plan of killing Junior in the mental asylum is probably the stupidest thing in the show.

Going through several locked doors somehow didn't convince him that it was probably not a good plan he had come up with.

Yeah, my reaction was the same as Tony's. AJ is such a dumbass. Only thing he's good at is getting girls, that's pretty much it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It has probably a play on the part of Gannascoli to get his character any kind of angle. Dude could barely move due to his morbid corpulence, so the idea that he was as intimidating as anyone else in the crew just by being a fat guy strained believability. I think the most activity he ever had on screen between waddling around was that one episode where Vito essentially pantomimed playing basketball with Bobby, lol

Ahahaha. Yeah, he really was the fattest.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PantsBandit posted:

I love the scenes where Tony gets to interact with animals :3:

And kids. Janice's daughter is going to be spoiled as poo poo.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
AJ isn't going to be in the mob at all. He'll be living through his parents' money and connections the rest of his life (and that bullshit film job) because he is probably the most useless person in TV history.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FourLeaf posted:

Barbara Soprano probably has all kinds of neuroses stemming from her upbringing, but as far as we know she's not actively connected to the mob through profession or marriage, so she's leagues above her older siblings for that alone.

She seems to keep her distance. We see her what, three times in the whole show? Anyone with toxic family members knows that's a working strategy. And her whole family beyond her husband and children are toxic.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

kippa posted:

He did, and Tony sent Furio to the French guys hotel room.

That was one of the greatest two seconds on TV.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The constant unending arguments about money are one of my favorite parts of the series. I never stop being astonished/amused about how petty and entitled these people are about money they "earn" through crime.

Is this the episode where instead of giving Junior more money Tony calls his captains and rages to them about how his poor uncle - the boss of this family :qq: - is standing trial and those guys are bringing him scraps?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Blind Pineapple posted:

Janice: I got second place in a beauty contest, collect $10...
Tony: Yeah, a german shepard's shaved rear end in a top hat got first.

Even though Janice deserved every bit and then some Jesus Christ Tony was such a gaping rear end in a top hat

It always baffled me how siblings could hate each other that much.

MrBling posted:

The Sopranos isn't really a mafia family, as the New York families would be quick to point out. They're just an upjumped crew.

The NY VS NJ elitism was always hilarious. It's weird to me how a state is so defined by its relationship to a city.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 4, 2015

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You know all his other faults aside Tony is really a competent guy. The show could have made him a fuckup, but even if his personal poo poo sometimes gets in the way (ok almost always gets in the way) he always remains an terrifyingly effective and ruthless criminal and more or less comes out on top. It's kinda like watching two characters.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
One good thing about Tony as a father is that at least he doesn't want his son to follow him to the life. I don't think his dad's generation had the same ideas...

Basebf555 posted:

For me a big part of the message of Tony's character is that so many of these guys are made(no pun intended), not born. For every stone-cold psycho like Richie Aprile there's ten guys like Tony, guys who were molded to fit this life because they looked up to the older generation, specifically his father in Tony's case.

Tony had a bit of both, what with just staring while his father cut someone's finger off and beat a guy without much a problem (except when combined with his mother issues)...but then again, if say AJ had grown up where Tony did he would have become harder too.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 8, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

pentyne posted:

Not really. He is propped up by a litany of crazy loyal "friends" and associates willing to take the hit for his misdeeds. To them the whole code of brotherhood is something they'd die rather then break, but Tony spits on it the second he's inconvenienced.

No offense but that is being an efficient criminal...like drug dealers have actual payout schemes for taking the fall.

EDIT: And eveyone in the show breaks the brotherhood in some way. It's pretty much what happens in every episode. They are all lovely people but Tony is a very smart lovely person (in reptilian cunning way) and proves to be smarter then pretty much anyone who isn't hindered by dementia level old age or a decades long stay in prison. And he was a lot smarter then lot of the old people too.

"Nip it in the bud."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmwRgl6r7Ng
(EDIT: I never noticed that Tony tears up on the idea of framing Feech. Makes complete sense but how did I miss that? Did I turn away from the scene every time I watched it? Did I forget it, even after several times? Rewatch!)

(Honestly it's kind of ridiculous that one person can watch a show like five times and still find new things. Looking at you Wire. Breaking Bad 2nd time I'm saving for something.)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 9, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tender Bender posted:

The fight when Meadow and her dumbass boyfriend argued so late into the night that he was literally falling asleep is very True.

I watched Sopranos first as a kid and I didn't get that scene, so I was like "Umm, why would the writers just have them go insane all of the sudden? Is this one of those dream/surreal scenes that I also don't get?"

Now I know people can actually have arguments that dumb in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Janice and Tony so deserved each other. Still, she seems to be more or less the only person to see through all of Tony's bullshit and not back down. Christ what a lovely family though.

Except Barbara, I suppose

• Locked thread