Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

I been rewatching these on A&E [I know but it's better than nothing] cause of being snowed in all week, and good GOD I forgot how loving annoying Teenage Meadow was. I just want to punch her until I can't punch no more.

Still not as bad as "anytime" AJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cheese and crackers posted:

I think you mean gabagool, brazjoot and mootsarell. For the longest time I thought gabagool was a type of lunch meat I'd never heard of

That may have been my favorite running joke of the series. These people pride themselves on their Italian heritage but can't pronounce anything worth a drat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dangersim posted:

That's not really a joke, I'm from essex county (tony drives through my hometown in the opening credits), and that's just how people pronounce those here.

Well then your county's diction is a joke everyone gets but you.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lets just stop this before it starts.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I loved that thing! And I honestly think they wrote the whole Big Pussy thing around that Billy Bass just because of how awesome it was.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chubby chasers are a thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Selklubber posted:

AJ could have been replaced with George Michael and not much would've changed.

The singer/song writer?!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That scene should stand as a warning to all waiters not to go after poor tippers. Sometimes they are assholes, but sometimes they are ASSHOLES .

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

And kids. Janice's daughter is going to be spoiled as poo poo.

And broken as poo poo because:

DarkCrawler posted:

Janice's daughter

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I dated a girl like Meadow (not a mob boss' daughter, but a rich girl with daddy issues). Boy, that was a fun time. You wanna see annoying? Try not letting a crazy chick get her way in public. Its was like seeing a 24 year old woman throw a 4 year old's temper tantrum.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I HAVE A PROCESS!!

BUT YOU TOOK OUT A SUITCASE!!!!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, Fin dodged a bullet with everything. Though maybe Meadow mellowed out after the finale. Spoiler for season 6 since I think some one is going through it for the first time. Usually things get better when the source of the problem is gone.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's because it's so realistic that makes it so annoying.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Janice may be the least likable character in TV.

Hands down. I can't think of a single redeeming quality.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, Wallace in season 1 was some really heavy poo poo. It contrasted the Kima shooting by showing how the two groups deal differently with death/potential death. I really loved that show. Maybe its time for a rewatch.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

So I don't know if anyone would remember this but there's a scene in season 5 where Carmella encounters Wegler for the first time since he kicked her to the curb. He briefly starts to tell her how he meant to call and then she says "I'm going back with my husband" and starts to walk away. Then the scene stutters for a second and then freezes for probably a full second before this really weird wipe transition back to the farm. At first I thought it might have been something weird happening with the playback, but nope that's just what it is.

Is there some significance to this? It was extremely strange.

One lovely cut is ok for a 6 season show. I like to think an editor let his son do it for a 10th birthday present.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And then AJ got to see his father get shot in the head at a family dinner. That kid is hosed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Interesting. I wonder why he decided to say anything after all this time. Not gonna lie, I don't really care one way or the other.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I just got to Season 4 in my current rewatch so I'm looking forward to all the ridiculous little Carmine lines.

"When we were touring Ver-sails we learned about King Luis."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm watching Sopranos for the first time, part way through Season 5 right now and trying not to read spoilers
The scene at the end of Season 4 where Tony held carmela against the wall then punched it is the most intense anger coming from an actor I have ever seen, I was actually afraid

Also Paulie is funny

Yeah, Gandolfini was a treasure and it kinda sucks that we didn't get to see him play more diverse roles in his career.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ddraig posted:

One theory I've heard is that the eggs symbolize mother issues :iiam:

I like that one more. Or eggs are cheap and easy to work with so reseting scenes would be easier.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Idris Elba IS Stringy Bell

"Braylon comin'!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

HBO was also paranoid that people would think the show was about singing, so they insisted on the R in the title being a handgun.

That was a stroke of genius though. I still see the gun every time I see "Sopranos" written out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TEAH SYAG posted:

Not just any gun, but a Beretta 92FS :allears:

The most American of Italian guns! :patriot:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

The show would have been different without her in it. And the show is perfect as it is. Boom

Let's not forget about that slow motion/sweep transition. That was worse than several Janices.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

wormil posted:

Janice also demonstrates that Tony is not a one off, that family was screwed up.

The one sister seemed to come out ok.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's always fun to laugh about what was coveted in old TV/movies. This is what they were stealing in The Fast & Furious:

Those priceless electronics!

You laugh, but the M939 is a staple still in the surveillance world. How else do you think you sit in a small office watching hours and hours of tapes?

maybe, I don't really know

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cole posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9oY7zpan18
One of the best scenes in the show.

I'd put that as one of the best scenes ever put to film ever. Two amazing actors at the top of their game.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We always just called them Cabana Shirts.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Of all the therapy scenes in the show the ones with Carmella have to be the best. She's just so transparent about how she's only there because she thinks she can get the therapist to absolve her of her sins like a priest. She's totally uncomfortable with being challenged by the therapist about the reasons she does what she does, and has absolutely no interest in any real self reflection.

Carmella and Tony were the worst people on the show and I stand by that. They really did deserve each other.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She also talked someone out of getting a divorce because she couldn't bring herself to divorce Tony, and couldn't see any one be stronger than her.

She tried to go after all of Tony's money when they were getting divorced instead of listening to the therapist and just taking the kids and the alimony he had on the books because she's just as greedy as he is.

She gave up looking for one of her closest friends to build a house because she wanted to be a business woman.

There's tons more as well. Maybe I should rewatch the show so I can remember exactly where I formed that opinion.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ugh, now I have to watch the series all over again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

It was partially the way they referred to the food using that pseudo-Italian Jersey terminology. Gabagool and Rigot just sound really really good.

But yea I'm getting an image of Tony shoveling ziti into his mouth and its making me hungry right now.

The absolute worst thing that came from the Sopranos was my friends parents using those stupid pronunciations thinking that it sounded "correct." Explaining to them that Italians don't pronounce it like that and it was to show how uneducated and insulated those people are became a full time job for me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And she's bad at parking too. So there's that as well. I always figured Finn left because he wizened up about the whole situation and got the hell out of it....plus, you know, getting engaged because she happened to be taking a psych course and argued her way into it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah, Tony shows a few times that he's willing to keep people away from 'the life', but once they enter it willingly they're just a slab of meat to be pounded to him.

Which is what made his relationship with Artie so great. He was the one friend that he'd allow to peek behind the curtain, but didn't punish for getting in too deep.

I really like Artie and Tony's friendship through the series. There were times when they were at each other's throats, but usually they were there for each other. For some reason I think that is a pretty realistic look at what a close friendship with an actual mob boss would be.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Lol someone put that under Aliases on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Aprile,_Jr.

Haha, this rules.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Well, never mind

poo poo, I was even keeping track, I completely missed that.

Eh, season 6 mostly sucked so no worries about forgetting it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The second half was a little better, but 6 is still my least favorite season. I guess "sucks" is a little strong. "Sucked for the Sopranos" would be more accurate as its still better than most other shows out there.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The saint with the hat episode. The Johnny Cakes episodes. Basically everything with Junior after he shot Tony. Soprano Home Movies. The Clever crap. It was just a mess of things I didn't like.

But it did have Johnny Sack's daughter's wedding which I liked. And that one scene where AJ tried to kill himself. Gandolfini had some amazing acting chops. Going from confused, concerned, upset, angry, and then a loving father with in a few minutes and with very little dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe it's time for a rewatch of the season for me? It's the only season I haven't watched several times just because I didn't like it so much the first time through.

• Locked thread