Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

My wife always refused to watch this show, saying she hated or just didn't care about mob stuff.

Three weeks ago when we had nothing else to do, I started playing the pilot and told her if she hated it we could stop there. Long story short, tonight we finish up season 4

A Violence Gang posted:

I basically agree, I think Chase's comments after the finale indicated that was what we were intended to understand, even though I don't think it makes any difference thematically whether Tony died in the diner or spent the rest of his probably short life looking over his shoulder for whoever he'd pissed off that week. And that's why I think it's such a cool ending.

Pretty much, which is I've never understood why anyone wasted time arguing about if he died or not. The series finale ends pretty much the way the first season did; with a failed attempt on Tony's life and indictments about to come down. The life Tony chose has been spent waiting for the other shoe to drop, and that's the entire point of the last scene...it doesn't matter whether he's clipped half a second after the cut to black, or if he's clipped three years later, or if he gets indicted, or if he winds up dying of a stroke during breakfast at a golf course twenty years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Fozaldo posted:

Any ideas why there wasn't more closure with Silvio at the end ?

Just when he thought he was out of the coma...Chase PULLLLLLLED him BACK IN. :(

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Volvagia posted:

Well, just finished the finale, I thought it was great. There really isn't that much ambiguity there; Tony is definitely shot.

Wrap it up boys, Volvagia has just solved the case

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Leviathan posted:

My guess is the 95 lb mole removed from her rear end was a melanoma.

heheheh. Did you guys hear that? He said the 95 lb mole removed from her rear end was a melanoma!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

-Atom- posted:

Has anyone binged through the series since the finale? I'm curious as to how the Johnny Cakes plot line looks like after taking it all in. I remember it feeling real tacked on and a waste of time considering the show was wrapping up.

It was honestly the only part of the Sopranos that I didn't like.

The wife and I binged through this summer. Not as bad as it was while it was airing, but still overlong and uninteresting.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Wartime Consigliere posted:

As time goes by I am thinking maybe season 2 is the best.

Counterpoint: the entirety of "D-Girl" and everything else to do with Chris' stupid loving movie (minus the hilariously lame bits of the script we see every so often)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ishamael posted:

They were always one of my favorite parts. The Test Dream and the coma episodes were some of my favorites.

Ditto. Aside from some of the locations being too "real" they were the most 'realistic' dream sequences I've seen in any TV show or movie. Even the one about Furio's toilet paper clown car.

But then, I just had a dream last week where Detective Bunk Moreland was on a high school auditorium stage mediating a dispute between two teenagers. And whenever you called him Bunk, he would insist his name was Agent Dale Cooper. So take it for what it's worth.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

vegaji posted:

2nd best scene.

The best scene was from Bobby. "I tried readin' her a Nancy Drew, but it was too mysterious for her!"

Correction: the best scene was bug-eyed Bobby exclaiming "ROADies!"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

-Atom- posted:

Some of my favorite parts of the Sopranos are when someone says something hosed up and you hear a crowd of 'Ohhhhh!'

slax0r posted:

I counter with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQXx8z0ERbQ

COMBO BREAKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwTRgDx7xJw

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ungratek posted:

I'm sorry, nothing is better than Chris completely missing the point and saying "Gary Cooper, he was gay?"

One thing is: when Paulie mentions the Cuban Missle Crisis and Christofuuh responds "That was real? I saw that movie, I thought it was bullshit."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

"Riding in Cars With Boys" is on and I saw a little bit of the very beginning why is Big Pussy married to Dr. Melfi why :gonk:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Things that are hilarious in retrospect: watching The Goonies and hearing Joe Pantoliano scream "I DON'T WEAR A HAIRPIECE"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Mr. Kite posted:

So Breaking Bad is coming back, and Mad Men recently ended. And those are great shows that I really like, but whenever someone calls them or other shows the best drama ever, I always assume it's implied that Sopranos isn't being considered. As in, it's understood to be the zenith of TV drama and everything else is battling for 2nd place.

Am I correct?

You would be if you hadn't misspelled "The Wire" :colbert:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Just had a cast reunion on the phone banks for the 12-12-12 thing; didn't spot Edie Falco and I have no clue why they didn't bring Little Steven over.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

escape artist posted:

Nurse Jackie production and E-Street Band performances?

Eh the E-Street Band had finished their set long before. But Little Steven and Big Pussy both appeared on the phone banks before and after the rest, respectively. Did a double-take when I saw Mikey Palmice back there.

Artie was waving at the camera and trying to get Brian Williams' attention. He was ignored. Fitting.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

marktheando posted:

Yes I think this is the important thing to take away from the finale. All the people hunting for clues are missing the point.

Well, it ends just as the first season did, with the major threat to his life over, but indictments about to come down. All I took away was, whether two minutes or twenty years, the rest of his life is just about waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The end! No moral.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ishamael posted:

This is why I don't like the ending. Years and years of storytelling, and all anyone wants to discuss is the last 8 seconds.

That's utter nonsense. They also want to discuss "Hey man what happened to the Russian?"

EDIT: Second for second, no 8-second segment offers better value than this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i-dB_6Dvcw&t=61s

"Oh poo poo!" indeed my friend. "Oh poo poo!" indeed.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 19, 2012

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

It's the most wonderful time of the year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gXJZBwceyg

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

I'd like to imagine that he didn't feel anything and he was casually walking along and instantly died right there with no warning.

A cut to black, if you will? Too soon, man.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

escape artist posted:

That is such a great episode. Sopranos might have my favorite use of dreams in drama ever (including literature, film, TV, excluding David Lynch)

It's also the most accurate dream sequences I've ever seen. Just the right shifts in time and place without any over the top effects wankery.

When we visited Asbury Park briefly for the first time, the wife was sort of nonplussed as I enthusiastically pointed out where every bit of 'Funhouse's dream sequences were filmed. "I DON'T WANNA SEE YOU FLOPPIN' AROUND DOWN THERE" indeed.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

Ralphie's kid's really dumb game made me laugh because it was just so dumb

"Ralph's kid plays the dumbest game in the world" is my second-favorite part of the old 7-minute refresher video (followed by the "still fat" which punctuates every Baccala appearance)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Got 4 episodes into our newest re-watch today. Watching Tony grab his chest and collapse in the pilot is a little rougher than it used to be.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I'm sure everyone reading this thread knows everything about it, but I found this handy video that explains the ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjviymV08c8

I always knew what it was meant to portray, but some of the symbolism suggested by this guy went right over my head.

I like the "perfect POV" followed by an actual POV shot. This dude is overanalyzing what is a pretty simple ending.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

DeadBonesBrook posted:

My favourite theory (although not the one I personally go for, im in the 'He's Dead' crowd) is the 'Meadow Guardian Angel' theory.

I don't buy it, but it's pretty neat.

I don't get people saying he is stuck now living a life of looking over his shoulder. He always has been.

That's kind of the point. The series ends much in the same way as season 1 did; with most of Tony's rivals dead or marginalized, but with indictments coming down. Life goes on same as before, for 5 minutes or 15 years.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Gabagool will never not be funny to me.

It's embarassing, as a white southerner, to order cappicola somewhere and having to call it gabagool because you don't have the faintest idea what the correct pronunciation is.

Satire Forum Mom posted:

I have to chime in with some of the same nonsense people have been throwing around since 2007

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

How did I never notice through five seasons of Nurse Jackie that Eddie was played by Carmela's priest

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Paulie's motivations on the other hand? Coffee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTf7Hyh_MJo

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Why the gently caress is every suggested video from this a Barbie video? I have never watched a Barbie video on YT

Again with the rape of the culture.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

On my own rewatch of Bust Out yesterday, it finally hit me where Tony got his great deal on AJ's new fishing rod. This is probably the third or fourth watching this season.

It is the wife's first rewatch, and she had a good giggle at how many people toting coolers and that foofy water pop up in that episode.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

In a related story, I am now dreading the thanksgiving holiday.

oh poor you!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rewatching "Pine Barrens" and my wife pointed out a weird plot hole: why the hell are people pumping their own gas in New Jersey?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ungratek posted:

I've pumped my own gas in New Jersey plenty of times. It's likely a misstep but its not out of the question

*everyone* there is pumping their own gas. Also, the pine barrens don't appear to have any pine trees.

:qq: MY IMMERSION :qq:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

zakharov posted:

The local government thew a fit over the "stereotypes" in the show, so they had to film in New York.

Pfft, like this show wasn't the best thing to happen to them since Springsteen. I was actually a bit surprised by how much of the atmosphere of northern/mid NJ it captured when I visited.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

MrBling posted:

Man, AJs grand plan of killing Junior in the mental asylum is probably the stupidest thing in the show.

Going through several locked doors somehow didn't convince him that it was probably not a good plan he had come up with.

Difficult, but not impossible :shepface:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Subtle thing I love: during the season 3 finale, AJ tells Meadow that "Jackie Jr was shot by some black guys." No one ever said a word about black guys, only drug dealers. That moment is Maximum AJ.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Alan BStard posted:

I don't know if you guys have seen this before but I came across http://storify.com/boring_as_heck/the-subpranos and thought it was pretty funny.

What a wasted opportunity. Not a single "I FUCKIN' LOVE CHEESE ON MY SANDWICHES WHEN I'M GAMBLING! AT NIGHT, I PUT PROVOLONE ON MY COLD CUT COMBO SO IT SMELLS LIKE YOUR SISTER'S CROTCH IN THE MORNING!"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

"Five dollars a foot."
"How long are you?"
"One foot."
"You lost a lotta weight"
"Seven under six! Best lunch subs."

"I spoke to our friend, the one that shows off his giant pants?"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004