Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
SHE WAS ABUSIVE TO THE STAFFFFFFFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

I was always under the assumption that both Tony and Johnny Sack cleared 7 figures although not much more than that. They were at least making mid to high six.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Was it ever explained how Hesh was involved in the Tony crew or was he just an old friend that occasionally kicked up? He's always portrayed as having more money than anyone on the Jersey side and very well off.

I powerwatched through the show twice so I definitely missed a lot of details.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

pentyne posted:

Rewatching the old Ritchie Aprile episodes because I saw the actor on some TV show and remember how great he was and I completely forgot how easily Tony destroyed the sports rec store owner's life. It was a big shot $$$ poker game and when the crew bragged about making $80k+ over half of that was just from that gambling addict.

Oh god how did I forget one of my favorite quotes of all time

"This has too much pulp. I like some pulp."

"Don't give me your fuckin Manson lamps!" I always loved that line. Richie Aprile really did have cold, dead eyes.

Also, it's interesting because it looks like Tony really did try to steer Scatino from getting involved in the executive game and away from the mob ruining his life/finances. Late Series Tony probably would have just murdered him after he was done with him.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

haljordan posted:

Also Tony does eventually admit that he only let him play because he had that store that he could take over and extort. "It's my nature Davey...y'know, the frog and the scorpion."

Well yeah, Davey was decently wealthy in assets before the executive game.

I still think Tony tried to steer him away due to him being a childhood friend but the gloves came off when he woke up the next morning and found out that Davey borrowed another 40,000(!!!) in credit and lied to Christopher saying that he'd be alright with it.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

I'm 3 episodes into Lilyhammer and I recommend it. It's basically Silvio in Norway with a little comedy mixed in but it surprisingly works.

One Fan Theory that people like to play around with is that Lilyhammer is what Silvio is dreaming of in his coma.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

The Shield and Wire are both great shows, but they're definitely different. The Shield is more of an action comic book, while the Wire is more of a novel.

I went back and watched some of early Shield recently and it's starting to show it's age a little imo. It's definitely of its time(lines written explicitly for 30 second network promos, lines written that were trying a little too hard to be clever), but I kind of give it a pass because they had to work to break from the typical network shows that dominated that era. Thankfully they got out of most of that after the 1st season.

In my opinion it's still one of the greatest shows ever and it bridged that gap between safe network shows and the Breaking Bad's that you see today. Vic Mackey is pretty much a more ruthless proto-Walter White.

Can't wait to watch it next year once they've converted it to 4k.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 18, 2016

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Vic Mackey(esp as the seasons go on) is more of a compelling character than Tony Soprano. They're both amazing though.

The only thing that can handicap the Shield is that there's definitely a case of the week thing they do to give the other characters something to do while they slowly build to the later season tensions but goddamn do they do the slow burn well.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

I'd put the Shield on a level above Justified by a lot actually.

The supporting cast of the Shield blows Justified's out of the water. I mean besides Raylan and Crowder, there's really not much character development to go around. Also, the villains on Justified are almost laughable at times, example that guy who's from that CBS sitcom threatening to kill Raylan's family. On the other side, Forest Whitaker's character was terrifying, and he was supposed to be representing the good side.

Edit: It's been a while since I've seen it but I forgot about Mags and Neal McDonough's character. They were pretty good.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Ronald loving Gardocki

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Yeah well whatever happened there - that was hosed up

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Ugh, I'm running through season 3 and Mrs. Bompensero working at the supermarket giving out samples will never not be heartbreaking. :smith:

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

zVxTeflon posted:

I dont wanna hear about him ever again. Or his ungrateful oval office wife.

I loved that whole sequence. Smash car, threaten Angie, pet dog, smash car, leave.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

I'm reasonably sure that the 2 best "ohhh!"s on the show are a tie between Silvio getting called a cocksucker by Paulie and Paulie's reaction to Pussy throwing the ashtray at Christopher.

https://youtu.be/QCQnWFg5s6g?t=60

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

I don't understand. When i was a kid, you two were old ladies. Now I'm old and you two are still old.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Suxpool posted:

There's no way in hell Paulie would let anyone step over him.

The fundamental question is, will Paulie be as effective as a boss like Tony was? And he will be, even more so? But until he is, it's going to be hard to verify that I think Paulie will be more effective.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

It's also implied when a couple of guys go to a starbucks and try to "offer" the business protection in which the manager says that corporate has to account for every dollar spent in that store and they leave dejected.

Another thing to consider is that the youngest guy in that whole crew is what.. Benny? He's in his late 30s I think. During the era we started watching and in real life I'm assuming that anyone getting into street crime is either joining gangs or doing their own thing instead of working for the mob.

Isn't the mob pretty much done for these days anyway? RICO completely gutted them.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Do you remember what it was called?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Blowing through season 6. Is it me or does James Gandolfini's health seem a lot worse since season 5? His voice is always hoarse and he generally sounds like a deflating tire(even more so than usual.)

It makes what happened to him 3 years ago seem more lovely. :smith:

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 13, 2016

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Man the lack of discipline in Tony's crew in s6 is glaring. US Marshalls at Johnny Sack's daughters wedding and Tony and Vito talk business right out in the open.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

These Parker House rolls? They belong to my Ma!

Word to the wise, remember Pearl Harbor!

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

I imagine it was a combination of Johnny liking the area and opening up the possibility to throw his weight around on the Soprano crew if the opportunity ever presented itself.

The Jersey guys setting up in New York turf would not be accepted but this was. I'm sure some kind of a power play was involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

SHE WAS ABUSIVE TO THE STAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

• Locked thread