Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Saw this thread pop back up again so I thought I'd jump in and post. I had ice cream the other night at Holsten's where the final scene was shot.
http://www.holstens.com/

I didn't realize that it was just one town over. They did a ton of filming around North Jersey and it was always fun to try to identify the places in all the scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
HBO has been replaying the early seasons lately, just caught the episode when Janice whacked Richie Aprile after Richie punches her in the face. I forgot how awesome that scene was, how he sits down to eat afterwards like it was no big deal but he forgot who he was loving with.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0705279

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Ishamael posted:

God drat it.

drat! RIP James.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
"The Test Dream" is playing right now, forgot how whacked this episode was.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Ha, Paulie waking Tony out of the coma.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

-Blackadder- posted:

The dialogue in that scene is amazing. She keeps dodging and he doesn't give an inch.

I forgot how great this scene was, I love it when he uses the word "mafia" and she gets all upset.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I love how we can continue to talk about this show all these years later. I also have a soft spot for it since a lot of the filming was done in and around my area.

PootieTang posted:

Now that I think about it, was anyone besides Melfi a full on 'good person'?

Jose posted:

Charmaine Bucco? She's seems to be one of the only people to always reject Tony and his lifestyle

We should create a sliding scale of good/evil characters in the show and see where they'd fall on the scale.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Ishamael posted:

Yeah, the Sopranos is really a show about psychology, so you could probably have a good time dividing characters into groups based on their abnormal psych profiles.

Livia would be borderline personality, probably narcissistic personality disorder too.

I was wondering if we should split them into groups of those who are evil by physical deeds and emotional verbal deeds. Livia birthed and cultivated the environment that Tony developed from. That's a lot of points against her.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Jose Oquendo posted:

A full series wouldn't work but man, I would love some mini-episodes or a mini-series with the crew in the year 2015.

A scene of the crew sitting around the pork store bitching about the Patriot Act and how they have to be so careful these days. Then thinking Rand Paul was on their side and wanting to meet up with Rand to give him a large "donation".

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Stopped by Holsten's tonight for a milkshake. There was a family in Tony's booth otherwise I would have shown my wife little plaque the have for him.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

wormil posted:

Speaking of Holstens, was there any significance to the Sopranos meeting there or to Tony's music choice? I don't remember the restaurant in earlier episodes. Also Carmella mentions making a reservation but it definitely doesn't look like a call ahead kind of place.

I don't remember any significance from other episodes but Holstens is one of those nostalgic places, not much has changed there over the years. They still have the counter with the swivel seats and the display cases full of home made chocolate. I bet that it holds some special memories for them, either they took the kids there when they were young or even Tony and Carmela went there when they were dating or were kids themselves.

Since it is a such a small place I bet Tony calls ahead just so they can get a table held. Regular people don't have that privilege and just have to wait.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Tony's Escalade is up for auction:

quote:

James Gandolfini has also prominently signed the interior of the Escalade twice in black felt tip, once inside the driver’s side sun visor, “Thanks for the truck, James Gandolfini,” and once on the panel above the glovebox, “James Gandolfini.” A decidedly unique, recognizable prop from one of the most acclaimed television series ever produced.
http://www.rrauction.com/preview_itemdetail.cfm?IN=2576

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Cole posted:

If I had a spare $5k I would totally put down a bid.

Not even close, it went for almost $120,000

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/celebrities/index.ssf/2015/11/tony_soprano_cadillac_escalade_auction_the_soprano_2.html#incart_river_home

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Cole posted:

The minimum bid was $5k the day I clicked it. That's pretty impressive.

Sorry I missed that part. Wonder who bought it, if I'll see that driven around Nutley or one of the other Tony-ish towns around here.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Your Gay Uncle posted:

you make up a fake name like " Joe No Show" then you make a fake punch card and have someone punch it it everyday. Voila, you get money for a job no one showed up too.

It's why construction jobs were (are?) so expensive in NY/NJ you wind up paying for a couple of extra guys who never do any work.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

bigtom posted:

Just started season 4 on the latest rewatch...my GF (who grew up in Dover and never saw the show somehow) keeps getting deja vu because all of these characters remind her of people she grew up around. She was drat near on the floor laughing when "Pine Barrens" came on...

I'm in North Jersey and these type of guys are all over the place. Either real mob guys or wannabes.

My dad sold his business property to a garbage company. We told them there were fuel tanks that leaked in the ground and needed to be cleared. The guy paved right over the lot and said he "worked it out" with the city. Good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Johnny Sack's house is up for sale for $1.5M

http://realestate.nj.com/realestate-news/2016/09/the_sopranos_johnny_sack_house.html

• Locked thread