Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lixer posted:

How do I know if my crock pot is the proper temperature? Many times I've had things burn onto the side of the crock and I had thought that things aren't supposed to burn in there.
Same way you check the temperature of anything else: a thermometer.

Fill your crockpot/slow cooker with a couple litres of water, put it on low for a couple hours. After a couple hours the water should be around 165 or 170, and after a few more hours it should hit about 175 or 180 and stay there no matter how long you leave it on.

High should be about 20 or 25 degrees hotter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

sangnom posted:

I have a rival crockpot that...I have unfortunately never used. I live in a dorm room and a lot of recipes require a lot of cooking beforehand, all I have is a small electric skillet, a blender, and a microwave. Any suggestions for basically full meal-in-a-pot dishes that I could make with only that limited amount of accessories.

They do sell frozen meals you can take straight from the freezer to the crock pot. For your case, you could try that.

drchipotle
Sep 11, 2001

SubG posted:

Same way you check the temperature of anything else: a thermometer.

Fill your crockpot/slow cooker with a couple litres of water, put it on low for a couple hours. After a couple hours the water should be around 165 or 170, and after a few more hours it should hit about 175 or 180 and stay there no matter how long you leave it on.

High should be about 20 or 25 degrees hotter.

I am so confused by crock pot temperatures. Wikipedia (and the OP) used to say that High was 300 and Low was 200. End of story. Now wiki says the above (165/190)

I have a Presto Multicooker (deepfryer/slowcooker combo) and even the instruction manual is vauge about the temps. A given recipie will say to put it on "low", but the thermostat is in degrees! It's crap.

drchipotle fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 25, 2008

drchipotle
Sep 11, 2001

chizad posted:

Take a Boston butt and place it in your crock pot. Pour just enough Wostershire sauce over the pork to cover the surface of the meat plus cover the bottom of the crock pot. Pack a layer of brown sugar all over the surface of the meat. Put the lid on your crockpot and cook on low for 8-ish hours. Once it's done remove it from the crockpot, discard whatever fat failed to render off and then pull by hand or shred with a pair of forks. Salt heavily; I believe the original recipe uses the phrase "enough salt to give your cardiologist a heart attack".

This is my version of the above. Don't chuck the liquid! It makes it's own barbeque sauce.

BASIC PULLED PORK

Take a ~5lb pork shoulder (can be had for $1.00 a lb) and coat it with brown sugar. Smother it. put a peeled, quartered onion in the crock pot, place shoulder on top, and add 1/4-1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar over top it. Dump in copious amounts of worshister sauce. not as much as you did vinegar, but lots. (i never measure this)

Cook on low for 8 hours. Do it friday/saturday night before football and you've got a gameday treat. Flip it over half way thru if you remember, but this isn't critical.

Shred the meat with a fork. Salt and pepper to taste.

ADVANCED PULLED PORK
Do all of the above.

When it's done, take the juice at the bottom of the pot, ladle off the fat, and put it in a sauce pan. Discard the onion. Make it simmer.

Add 1/3-1/2 cup ketchup and 1 tbsp liquid smoke. stir/whisk.

take 1.5 tablespoons of cornstarch, and mix well with 1 cup cold water (DO NOT ADD DIRECTLY TO HOT JUICE OR IT WILL GET CLUMPY) Whisk into saucepan.

Let it simmer till you like the consistency. Now it's time to season. Salt and pepper to taste. With no salt it will taste like blandness. Garlic powder and cayenne pepper also make good additions. Don't salt it till you like the consistency or it will be too salty after it reduces/thickens. With the right amount of salt it will taste like bar-b-que sauce. Taste it as you go. Mix it all up with the already shredded pork and put it on sammiches.

drchipotle fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 25, 2008

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

I made Coda Alla Vaccinara in my slow cooker (Roman braised oxtail) - recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_35642,00.html

I used red wine instead of white wine/stock, and I didn't bother with the garnish. After slow cooking for 6 - 7 hours I poured off the still slightly thin sauce and reduced it in a saucepan by half. I then served the whole lot over polenta. It was one of the tastiest meals I've ever cooked.

ChrisSa2949
Mar 24, 2004

Nancy Grace(n): See also piece of shit.
What a coincidence, I just bought my first crock pot last weekend and I'm making a pot roast before I head off to work, can't wait!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

drchipotle posted:

This is my version of the above. Don't chuck the liquid! It makes it's own barbeque sauce.

See, all this is good too, but the genius of the original recipe is that it maintains a more neutral palate, which means it can be BBQ sandwich fodder or burrito filling equally as well. So it is always a tradeoff between a more sophisticated flavor profile and versatility. You can always add BBQ sauce or tabasco or whatever after the fact.

For some extra goodness, fry the pulled pork in a little oil until crispy, and you have crispy carnitas! Great taco material.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I've never done this before, but I'm making chili in my crock right now. I pretty much just looked at some crockpot chili recipes online and then threw a whole bunch of stuff in my crock loosely based on what I read.

Here's what I did

~1 lb ground beef, browned
diced tomatoes
tomato sauce
tomato paste
black beans
pinto beans
kidney beans
diced onion/green pepper/celery
1 packet of chili seasoning
some cayenne pepper

It looks pretty good so far, I'll taste it a couple hours before dinner and probably add more spices. I don't think the spice packet was meant to make this much chili so it's probably lacking a bit.

Any suggestions? I mean I think I'm doing okay. It LOOKS like good chili so I'm probably on the right track!

queenpopsicle
Mar 29, 2005

Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango?

sangnom posted:

I have a rival crockpot that...I have unfortunately never used. I live in a dorm room and a lot of recipes require a lot of cooking beforehand, all I have is a small electric skillet, a blender, and a microwave. Any suggestions for basically full meal-in-a-pot dishes that I could make with only that limited amount of accessories.

There are frozen meals for Crock Pots out there, but I have to say I find them rather disgusting.

To make it a lot easier, McCormick's makes seasoning packets for slow cookers; it tells you what ingredients to buy and how to mix the seasoning. The most difficult one I've made is Italian Chicken, where you had to mix the seasoning packet in tomato paste and a can of tomatoes, then you pour that mixture over some chicken and fresh, sliced mushrooms. Everything I've made has come out tasty, even though I'd rather do everything by hand. You could just make sure to buy all the ingredients the day you're going to make the meal if you don't have enough cold storage.

And, since you're in a dorm, listen to me and buy the slow cooker liners. You'll thank me when you're trying to scrub out your stoneware in a bathroom sink.

Cosine
Jul 17, 2006
Get on the boat son
Just sayin, if you don't have a crock pot a dutch oven works just as well.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

spatula posted:

I've never done this before, but I'm making chili in my crock right now. I pretty much just looked at some crockpot chili recipes online and then threw a whole bunch of stuff in my crock loosely based on what I read.

Here's what I did

diced tomatoes
tomato sauce
tomato paste
black beans
pinto beans
kidney beans
some cayenne pepper

It looks pretty good so far, I'll taste it a couple hours before dinner and probably add more spices. I don't think the spice packet was meant to make this much chili so it's probably lacking a bit.

Any suggestions? I mean I think I'm doing okay. It LOOKS like good chili so I'm probably on the right track!

Looks good, but how thick is it getting with the tomato sauce? I'd be afraid it would be too thin for a chili.

Maybe put a little unsweetened cocoa in there too if you have some.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

jerkstore77 posted:

Looks good, but how thick is it getting with the tomato sauce? I'd be afraid it would be too thin for a chili.

Maybe put a little unsweetened cocoa in there too if you have some.

It actually turned out pretty great. It was thick enough, the tomato paste helped a lot. I ended up not having to add any spices.

My roommates and boyfriend enjoyed it, so I'm satisfied. I'll definitely be doing this chili again, maybe with more vegetables next time (zucchini? corn?).

I'll be trying some crockpot lasagna soon!

Aurand
Sep 7, 2006
Lurkz0r
How long is it safe to leave things in a Rival crockpot at "warm"? I've had my Italian beef in there about 5 hours while I was at class. Will I die from eating this?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Aurand posted:

How long is it safe to leave things in a Rival crockpot at "warm"? I've had my Italian beef in there about 5 hours while I was at class. Will I die from eating this?

of course not. just eat it, you puss.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

Zelmel posted:

Was it this recipe by NosmoKing?
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/White_Chicken_Chili

Yeah, that was one of them. Further in the thread I posted a white chicken chili recipe, can anyone who has archives grab that one?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I didn't know McCormik made seasoning packets! Awesome. I have something else to try out this month. I'm going to try to do a slow cooker meal every week.

And to Rival warm setting guy-- as long as it's above 135ºF I wouldn't worry too much.

effika fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 28, 2008

Dirty Rob
Aug 10, 2004

by Fistgrrl

effika posted:

I didn't know McCormik made seasoning packets! Awesome. I have something else to try out this month.

They have taco seasoning packets too. I found a box the other day and grabbed like a half dozen of them.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

effika posted:

I didn't know McCormik made seasoning packets! Awesome. I have something else to try out this month. I'm going to try to do a slow cooker meal every week.

And to Rival warm setting guy-- as long as it's above 135ºF I wouldn't worry too much.

According to Wikipedia, the warm setting is usually between 145 and 165ºF, so you should be fine.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Zelmel posted:

Was it this recipe by NosmoKing?
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/White_Chicken_Chili

I have a question about this recipe. It says to put enough chicken stock to come up to the beans, but doesnt this pretty much turn it into a soup? I know things usually don't thicken in crockpots and the picture of the chili in the crockpot makes it look very thin.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!
I posted a thread recently regarding several pounds of top blade steak that still had the connective tissue attached. I'd like to try the slow cook it, but am completely and utterly oblivious as to how to do so. Are there any generic recipes I can use?

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004

jerkstore77 posted:

I have a question about this recipe. It says to put enough chicken stock to come up to the beans, but doesnt this pretty much turn it into a soup? I know things usually don't thicken in crockpots and the picture of the chili in the crockpot makes it look very thin.

I think cooking the beans for that long will have some of them break apart and thicken up. You can always pull 1/2+cup of them out of the soup, blend, and re-add it to thicken it up if it's not thick enough for ya.

I could have sworn that wiki recipe used to have a picture of Milwalkee's Best as the beer.. :P

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

spatula posted:

Here's what I did

diced tomatoes
tomato sauce
tomato paste
black beans
pinto beans
kidney beans
some cayenne pepper

Almost looks like taco soup! This is one of my favorite recipes for my crockpot.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Taco-Soup/Detail.aspx

quote:

INGREDIENTS
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups water
2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix

DIRECTIONS
In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until browned over medium heat. Drain, and set aside.
Place the ground beef, onion, chili beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, green chile peppers and taco seasoning mix in a slow cooker. Mix to blend, and cook on Low setting for 8 hours.

I use fresh jalapenos instead of the green chilis and also put in a bunch of red pepper flakes. Ends up very tasty.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

silversum posted:

I think cooking the beans for that long will have some of them break apart and thicken up. You can always pull 1/2+cup of them out of the soup, blend, and re-add it to thicken it up if it's not thick enough for ya.

I could have sworn that wiki recipe used to have a picture of Milwalkee's Best as the beer.. :P

The Milwalkee's Best (ice, BTW) is in my Beer Can Chicken recipe. The Chili recipe has always had the good beer.

The beans do break down a bit and make the chili thicker. You CAN (and I often do) blend up some of the beans (or jam a stick blender in the pot and give it a few whirls) to thicken the stuff, but don't neglect the addition of the CHEESE at the end of the recipe. It really thickens things up and makes it nice and gooey.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

NosmoKing posted:

The Milwalkee's Best (ice, BTW) is in my Beer Can Chicken recipe. The Chili recipe has always had the good beer.

right, but then you have Milwaukee's Best beer leftover, and the impulse to drink it, and who wants that

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
MSN has an article today on slow cooker chicken recipes, 23 total. Some look quite good...

http://lifestyle.msn.com/foodandentertaining/recipes/staticslideshowbhg.aspx?cp-documentid=6502930&GT1=32003

Shekfester
Mar 8, 2007

Can I interest you in a chicken wing?
I posted a thread about this recipe about 9 months ago. It is a mainstay in my home now and we literally make it at least once a week.

This is specifically geared towards the lazy and the dorm-dwelling low-budget gourmet:

-----------

THE EASIEST CROCK POT RECIPE IN DA WOILD:

1- Take some boneless chicken breasts. As many as you want.

2- Put 'em in the pot.

3- Dump a jar of delicious salsa (or picante) onto them. They should just barely cover the breasts. Breasts (snicker).

4- Turn on pot. Wait for 6-8 hours.

5- Add cilantro and a dollop of sour cream unless your wife is nagging you about South Beach.

6- Nom!

-----------

Want variety? Go for it. I've added onions to zest it, served avacado on the side to balance it, and even threw a can of beer in there once to see what would happen (too runny).

I usually make this on a weekday because the smell when you get home from work is heavenly, and I can literally put this together in less than 2 minutes in the AM.

Black Beans compliment the dish. Red potatoes (cooked separately) also make this complete (but again, 'South Beach'...)

EDIT: (I feel the compulsion to announce that I graduated from one of the top colleges in the country, since I just read this and realized how trashy the whole recipe sounds. It's healthy as hell and easy as pie if you do it straight. And tasty, tasty, tasty!)

Shekfester fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 27, 2008

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Ox's Ham and Beans

1 - Ham (your choice, I usually use boneless for ease)
1 - Onion
3 - Stalks of Celery
3 - Carrots
1 - Bag of White Beans (navy or great northern)
64 oz of Chicken stock or 32 of chicken and 32 of vegetable stock
Good Italian seasoning
Bay Leaf
Pepper
Garlic
White wine
Butter
Opt. Bacon & Tabasco

Cut up the ham into chunks, personally I like bigger pieces. Saute until ham gets some browned edges - don't forget to season with pepper, garlic, and italian seasonings. Remove ham, add onions and butter. Caramelize onions to desired consistency, I prefer nice and dark but not gooey/sticky. Deglaze with white wine, add carrots, stock, bay leaf, garlic, pepper, italian seasoning. Add beans that have been soaking overnight, re-add ham back to pot. Cook for +8 hrs...I've let it cook for two days before, it will just continue breaking down the beans into this wonderful sauce. Bacon and Tabasco are optional additions along with cornstarch if the beans aren't thicking up enough for your tastes. Additional seasoning to taste.

Serve with crusty bread and cheese. Enjoy.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

sangnom posted:

If you can get a ham to fit in it, that's pretty good. Some 7-up or Sprite to keep it moist (not a lot), let it go for 2 or 3 hours.
Or stew. Stew meat, carrots, potatoes, onions is how I go, although celery and peas are in my future.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
One my wife often makes is super easy and cheap. Get a pork roast, a cheap bone in one is fine. Put it in the cooker with a can of plain tomato sauce, not the flavored spaghetti stuff. Add in some chopped onions and garlic (or powdered if you're in a hurry0 and some diced chilies/chili powder and cumin.

After a day of cooking the meat will be fall off the bone tender and the tomato sauce will turn into an awesome gravy. This is best served over plain white rice or made into burritos.

Sally Slug
Jul 8, 2005

Ride, Sally, ride!

Shekfester posted:

THE EASIEST CROCK POT RECIPE IN DA WOILD:

I tried this as a way of using up a bunch of chicken thighs and it was indeed delicious.

The Dudley
Oct 5, 2004
Everything Works in Theory

drchipotle posted:

BASIC PULLED PORK

Two questions:

1) With the smothering in brown sugar... could you instead do some kind of dry rub and let it sit overnight before it gets cooked in the slow cooker?

2) Is the pulled pork best served fresh and hot/warm or does it work fine if you make it in advance and store in the fridge for a later event?

Wakarooney
Aug 26, 2005

The Most Daintiest Southern Belle
I have two sizes of slow cookers. I have a very large one (probably about 6 qt-ish) and I have a 2 qt. I got the smaller one for a christmas gift, and I can't for the life of me find recipes for smaller cookers. I was thinking it'd be useful because I could make single servings of certain things. Should I just reduce the contents of my recipe, or are there places out there where I can find smaller portions... I have looked all over the place.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
Can someone suggest a small (1 or 2 person) slow cooker? An old friend I used to live with had a lovely one that cooked just enough for one person but it didn't have a manufacturer's name on it and he can't remember where he got it from. I hate reheating old meals and eating them for several days afterwards so a small one is what I want.

Sally Slug
Jul 8, 2005

Ride, Sally, ride!

The Dudley posted:

Two questions:

1) With the smothering in brown sugar... could you instead do some kind of dry rub and let it sit overnight before it gets cooked in the slow cooker?

2) Is the pulled pork best served fresh and hot/warm or does it work fine if you make it in advance and store in the fridge for a later event?

I've made pulled pork in a slow cooker dozens of times and rarely bothered with the brown sugar or a rub. Honestly it's hard to screw up something so delicious. I bought a slow cooker specifically to make pulled pork and it's one of the best things ever even if you just take the pork and dump some bbq sauce on it.

I actually find that it often tastes better after a day of hanging out in the fridge. It lets all the flavours blend together for even longer.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

The Dudley posted:

Two questions:

1) I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

2) A batch of crock pot pulled pork lasts my roommate and I a few days and on the last day it always tastes just as good as it did straight out of the crock pot.

The Dudley
Oct 5, 2004
Okay I bought a pork shoulder this morning and if I stick it in shortly it would be ready for sandwiches for dinner tonight and lunch at work the next couple of days.

So now my question is, obviously I take the string off before cooking but should I trim off the big piece of fat that is on the top?

I also bought some apple cider vinegar for cooking it with.

The Dudley
Oct 5, 2004

The Dudley posted:

So now my question is, obviously I take the string off before cooking but should I trim off the big piece of fat that is on the top?

As it turned out what I was referring to was the skin. So I cut that off (not as easy as I thought it would be) and trimmed any big bits of fat off as well.

Coated it with a rub of chili, paprika, onion salt, salt, pepper, and brown sugar. Wish I could let that sit overnight but I want to cook it now! Placed it in the cooker on top of a sliced brown onion, added 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar, and doused it all with worchesteshire sauce. Set to "low" and now to wait 8 hours.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I absolutely love my crock pot but have recently decided to start dieting. All the recipes I had been making before were just a little too unhealthy (ie pork roasts, ribs, etc).

Does anyone have any good, healthy recipes or know of a good cookbook that has some? I really don't want to retire my crock pot..

The Dudley
Oct 5, 2004

The Dudley posted:

...and now to wait 8 hours.

My god this is awesome. Why have I never tried this before? My slow cooker has been in its box brand new for 2 years!

The meat is so tender and delicious, and on a turkish bread roll with some smoky BBQ sauce and sliced cheese its just out of this world.

And leftovers, woohoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUT NO MEATBALLS
Oct 22, 2005

Lackadaisical posted:

I absolutely love my crock pot but have recently decided to start dieting. All the recipes I had been making before were just a little too unhealthy (ie pork roasts, ribs, etc).

Does anyone have any good, healthy recipes or know of a good cookbook that has some? I really don't want to retire my crock pot..

I've heard you can make a really good oatmeal with crockpots. Just add some water and milk and maybe some dried fruit and let it cook overnight. Otherwise, like mentioned before you can make a pretty healthy crockpot meal with chicken too.