Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
http://www.facebook.com/Crockpotgirls

There are way too many posts in that group about not knowing how to use or what to cook in a crockpot... c'mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Im looking for something new to season my crockpot ropa vieja. Ive been using Mojo Criollo for the most part, with some adobo and cumin, white onion, some pepperoncini brine. I think it comes out great, just looking for a change of pace.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Anyone have a particularly delicious dal or lentil stew recipe for a slow cooker, or that can be easily adapted to a slow cooker? I'm thinking along the lines of onion, garlic, carrot, celery, potato, chilies, various spices (coriander, turmeric, mustard seed) and maybe a bay leaf. Any other suggestions? Coconut milk? Tomatoes? Should I get red lentils? Chana dal?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Anyone have a particularly delicious dal or lentil stew recipe for a slow cooker, or that can be easily adapted to a slow cooker? I'm thinking along the lines of onion, garlic, carrot, celery, potato, chilies, various spices (coriander, turmeric, mustard seed) and maybe a bay leaf. Any other suggestions? Coconut milk? Tomatoes? Should I get red lentils? Chana dal?

Alton Brown's lentil soup recipes is one of my fall and winter staples.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lentil-soup-recipe/index.html

It can be made vegetarian or not, and I've found that simply switching the type of onion you use (red onion vs sweet onion vs regular "cooking" onion) and the type of lentil really changes the flavor without even putting in anything else, but I don't see why you couldn't add all sorts of stuff to it. It's also not written as a crock pot recipe, but I've made it in the crock before.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Recipes from you US folks... when the recipe calls for (example) canned pureed pumpkin and I instead want to use pureed pumpkin-from-my-garden - is a 16oz can of pumpkin puree 1 lb or 2 cups? A 16oz can filled with pumpkin, or 16 oz of pumpkin fitted into a can?

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]

Apsyrtes posted:

Recipes from you US folks... when the recipe calls for (example) canned pureed pumpkin and I instead want to use pureed pumpkin-from-my-garden - is a 16oz can of pumpkin puree 1 lb or 2 cups? A 16oz can filled with pumpkin, or 16 oz of pumpkin fitted into a can?

You should be good with two cups.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

They would actually both work. The system is surprisingly flexible in that respect.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I need a good pasta sauce recipe that can be made in bulk with a crockpot and then stored in jars. Doesn't necessarily have to be tomato based. Everytime I make a sauce in the crockpot using some recipe online, it comes out way too watery.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ScaerCroe posted:

I need a good pasta sauce recipe that can be made in bulk with a crockpot and then stored in jars. Doesn't necessarily have to be tomato based. Everytime I make a sauce in the crockpot using some recipe online, it comes out way too watery.

If it's too thick, have you tried reducing it?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think he means "thin" :)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

eightysixed posted:

I think he means "thin" :)

Er, Gravity's reply is still the correct answer? "Thin" and "watery" mean the same thing.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
eightysixed means gravity meant thin, not the question asker.

GrAviTy84 posted:

should be

quote:

If it's too thin, have you tried reducing it?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Er, Gravity's reply is still the correct answer? "Thin" and "watery" mean the same thing.

That was my point. If something is too thick, you don't want to reduce it more :confused: Gravity said "If it's too thick, have you tried reducing it." This is terrible advice, but I'm pretty sure he typoed "thick" for "thin." :)

mich posted:

eightysixed means gravity meant thin, not the question asker.

Short version :)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

oops, yeah, I meant thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

eightysixed posted:

That was my point. If something is too thick, you don't want to reduce it more :confused: Gravity said "If it's too thick, have you tried reducing it." This is terrible advice, but I'm pretty sure he typoed "thick" for "thin." :)

Short version :)

Herp derp! Whoops!