Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I love my slow cooker. I cooked up a tasty Beef Burgundy using a recipe from America's Test Kitchen.

8 oz. bacon chopped
4 lbs stew beef (chuck preferably)
1 large onion chopped fine
2 carrots chopped fine
8 garlic cloves minced
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
4 tbs. tomato paste
2 1/2 cups Pinot Noir or Burgundy wine
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 or 4 bay leaves
3 tbs. Minute Tapioca
3 tbs. minced fresh parsley
2 cups pearl onions
10 oz white mushrooms, quartered

First, get all of your prep work done. Chop the onions, garlic, parsley, and thyme.

Cook the bacon in a large skillet on medium-high until crisp. Set aside on paper towel, and chop it after it's cooled. Set aside half of the bacon fat in a bowl, and keep the other half in the pan.

Dry the beef with paper towels, and season with salt and pepper. Place half of the beef in the skillet with the half of bacon fat and cook it over medium-high until all of the sides are brown. You can cook all of the meat, but only half is really needed for flavor. When done, place the beef in the slow cooker.

Add the reserved bacon fat to the now empty skillet, and heat over medium-high. Add onion, carrots and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until they begin to brown, and then add garlic and thyme, and cook for about 30 more seconds. Then add the tomato paste, and stir together for about another minute. Then transfer this to the slow cooker.

Add 1 1/2 cups wine, 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and 1/3 cups soy sauce to an empty skillet. Heat until it simmers. Let simmer for one minute and then transfer it to the slow cooker.
All of the above can be done the night before. Just make sure you keep all the liquids and items separate. This is what I did. Before I left to work, I put it all in the slow cooker, and went to work. Stir in bay leaves and Minute Tapioca, and set on low heat. Cook for nine hours.

After it's cooked, place 1/2 cup water and 3 tbs of butter into a skillet along with your pearl onions. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes until they're tender. Uncover and increase heat until liquid is almost evaporated. Add the mushrooms with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook until browned and glazed. Stir this into the slow cooker.

Stir in your chopped bacon. Bring remaining 1 cup of wine to a boil in the skillet over high heat and then simmer until it's reduced by half (about 5 minutes). Stir the wine and parsley into the slow cooker, and you're done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU