Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I made an Italian Pot Roast today in my crockpot.

1 pot roast (I used chuck)
1 chopped onion
2 chopped carrots
1 chopped celery
3 cloves minced garlic
1 cups red wine
1 cup beef broth
1 tsp. dried sage
1 tbsp. rosemary
2 tbsp parsley
1/4 tsp pepper
salt
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 large can crushed tomatoes

Mix the sage, rosemary, garlic, and parsley with a tablespoon of olive oil. Cut a few slits in the roast and use half of this seasoning mixture to stuff the slits. Brown the roast in a pan with some olive oil and sprinkle some salt over it and set it aside. Add, the onion, carrot, and celery to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the tomato paste, 1/2 cup of the red wine, and the rest of the herb mixture. Stir and bring to a boil until moist of the wine has boiled away. Add the rest of the wine and the beef broth. Boil until half the liquid remains. Just before taking off the heat, add the crushed tomatoes and stir.

Place the sauce and the roast in the crockpot and cook for 8 hours on low. It was pretty drat good. The sauce goes great over rice or mashed potatoes or polenta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

spatula posted:

I've never done this before, but I'm making chili in my crock right now. I pretty much just looked at some crockpot chili recipes online and then threw a whole bunch of stuff in my crock loosely based on what I read.

Here's what I did

~1 lb ground beef, browned
diced tomatoes
tomato sauce
tomato paste
black beans
pinto beans
kidney beans
diced onion/green pepper/celery
1 packet of chili seasoning
some cayenne pepper

It looks pretty good so far, I'll taste it a couple hours before dinner and probably add more spices. I don't think the spice packet was meant to make this much chili so it's probably lacking a bit.

Any suggestions? I mean I think I'm doing okay. It LOOKS like good chili so I'm probably on the right track!

Looks good, but how thick is it getting with the tomato sauce? I'd be afraid it would be too thin for a chili.

Maybe put a little unsweetened cocoa in there too if you have some.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Zelmel posted:

Was it this recipe by NosmoKing?
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/White_Chicken_Chili

I have a question about this recipe. It says to put enough chicken stock to come up to the beans, but doesnt this pretty much turn it into a soup? I know things usually don't thicken in crockpots and the picture of the chili in the crockpot makes it look very thin.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
This weekend I learned that when they say not to fill a crockpot all the way to the top, that you should follow that advice. I had a crockpot completely full with beef stew and 6 hours later on high it was barely cooked. Had to finish it off on the stove. Still came out good though.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Guitarchitect posted:

I need good slow-cooking recipes that are both healthy and easy, as I'm starting my final year of school in the fall and want to continue to eat healthy (I've lost around 20lbs so far this summer, which feels GREAT). I plan on doing the pulled pork at least once, to find out how much lean meat it yields... otherwise lots of chili and stew is in my future! :) Are there any good uber-healthy slow-cooker books out there, or is it an oxymoron because you need fatty meats so that they don't dry out?

I lost 40 pounds recently and one of the staples of my diet was a turkey chili I made in my crockpot. You just brown some ground turkey and onions and put it in a crockpot with your usual chili ingredients. Beans, crushed tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and a bit of chocolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Evil Sprite Can posted:

I just bought a three and a half pound rib eye roast thinking it was a chuck roast. Can I cook this in my crock pot or would that be a bad idea?

Goddamn, didn't the price kind of clue you in that it wasn't a chuck roast?