Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Aurand posted:

Is there anything else I can do to remove some of the excess greasiness that I'm thinking is going to be there as the result of fat melting? Or do I just pour off the liquid and remove the fat that way?

You pull the hunk of meat out of the liquid to shred it. The meat itself doesn't end up very greasy at all. I just discard all the liquid/fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Chromatose posted:

I'm having a difficult time tracking down Boston butts in any of the local grocery stores, but I can typically find piles of Picnic hams. Would a picnic ham work just as well for this?

No, cured ham and fresh pork are not even remotely the same. Use pork shoulder.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

bunnielab posted:

This is blasphemy I know, but I was underwhelmed by the pulled pork. It was amazing how well the texture came out but the brown suger left it way way too sweet. Almost repulsively so. It was still good but needed a ton of vinegar sauce to make it so.

I have a second chunk of pork and next time I will give it a spice rub.

I suspect some damm yankee was responsible for the original recipe.

How much sugar did you use? I don't measure, but I probably use no more than a half cup (packed) for a ~4 lb shoulder.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

MsJoelBoxer posted:

Anybody ever tried making a cake in a crock pot? Clean Eating Magazine has a crock pot carrot cake recipe in this month's issue. It's piqued my interest, but I'm just wondering if there is some benefit to slow cooking it rather than just tossing it in my oven. Thoughts?

I made one of those chocolate pudding cake things in the crockpot once. It worked, I mean, the cake was cakey and firm and the bottom was all saucy and puddingy. But I'm not posting the recipe because it tasted pretty crappy. I personally wouldn't make a regular cake in a crockpot unless your oven doesn't work or something. It makes more sense to do the "makes it own sauce on the bottom" recipes I think.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Lagman posted:

How long are you cooking it for?

And more importantly, what cut of pork are you using?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

jazz babies posted:

Obviously anyone is welcome to try it. The whole point of this thread is simple easy meals.

The whole point of this forum is good food and I think you missed that memo

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

jazz babies posted:

and garlic mix.

What is that?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

jazz babies posted:

Sorry. "Onion roasted" garlic mix.

Oh. OK, so half your recipe is condensed/powdered soup. Yummy.

Might I suggest a lovely Tuna Helper as a starter?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

jazz babies posted:

This isn't the food network. Get off my back.

Actually, you're about right on track for the Food Network, congrats!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Guys guys I think we found a new CHEFFY CHEF

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Threatis posted:

yeah i point it out every post. please. you got something to cling onto. GO FOR GOLD.

Drunkposting bestposting!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Counselor Sugarbutt posted:

Glad it came out well! Sauteed onions...yum...
I know it sounds weird, but really the texture of the noodles comes out the same as if you had boiled them on the stove and then baked them in the oven with the cheese sauce. Try it, you'll be surprised. (Of course, if you are a hardcore traditional mac and cheese lover, you'll still like that better. To me, this one's just as good.)

If that's the case, then you're used to some horrible, mushy noodles in your mac and cheese. Hint: That's not the way they're supposed to be.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Counselor Sugarbutt posted:

Have you actually tried cooking pasta in the slow cooker? Please try it first and then get back to me, Crusty Nutsack. Otherwise, you are criticizing something you know nothing about.

Have you ever tried eating pasta that wasn't complete mush? Somehow, I doubt it, Sugarbutt. Please, try cooking a pasta al dente, then get back to me.

Or you know, gently caress off because you're being pretty stupid that would work too

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I've made this Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese recipe before, it was pretty drat good. Mac and Cheese recipes seem to be available from a lot of the companies that make these things, it's not that crazy an idea even if other methods are better.

No one said it was crazy, we just said it sucked.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Wandering Knitter posted:

I tried this recipe this weekend.

It sucks.

The pasta and cheese form a tasteless carb brick that's painful to eat. Sadly since I'm poor I'm stuck eating it all week anyway.

Sorry. We tried to warn people.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Lackadaisical posted:

Is there a good place to get a lot of yummy but incredibly healthy slow cooker recipes? I already know the salsa chicken but I was hoping for more. A lot of the stuff posted in this thread sounds great, but isn't exactly the most conducive to weight-loss...

That's because the thing the crockpot is best at is braising tough cuts of meat, and that usually means fat. If you're doing some crazy no-fat diet then you shouldn't be using your crockpot anyway.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Anne Whateley posted:

pot roast,

Tough, sometimes with a good bit of fat

Anne Whateley posted:

pork shoulder,

Fatty

Anne Whateley posted:

or turkey breast.

I'm talking about things that SHOULD go in a crock pot. Lean poultry is not one of those things.

She wanted "healthy" recipes (which I assumed to mean non-fat based on her liking the salsa chicken breasts) and apparently the pulled pork and pot roast things in this thread aren't cutting it for her.
edit: I am not saying these things are not healthy, only that apparently she doesn't think so.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Anne Whateley posted:

Before you cook it

Easily trimmed

Why, because it might get moist and shreddy and delicious?

I assumed "healthy" to mean "healthy." If you're losing weight, you still need some healthy fat (I'm not talking Paula Deen's six sticks of butter) and what you really need is protein. Slow cookers are a fantastic way of cooking cheap, delicious protein. I figured she wanted to avoid the mac & cheese disaster and entire bottles of BBQ sauce, but there's no reason that this pernil, say, would be a bad idea.

read my edit I was too late on: edit: I am not saying these things are not healthy, only that apparently she doesn't think so.

And no poo poo these cuts of meat are tough before cooking, that was my point. Those are what the crockpot is BEST at, and apparently those things weren't "healthy" enough for her.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Rurutia posted:

Use a vinegar based BBQ sauce.

Or, you know, just don't add a ton of sugary processed sauce, or even no sauce at all!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

All is forgiven.

Don't buy factory meat.

How come you were seemingly abashed by derailing the frickin taint chat thread yet this was a way bigger more annoying derail

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Because someone wanted to slow cook chicken breast.

Right but that's happened like 1000 other times in this thread before now

Nice title, btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Kevindanger posted:

but for recipes like beef stew it never does.

They should