Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Forums upgrade or equivalent for anyone willing to help me complete a java assignment tonight. I don't want someone to do it for me, rather to walk me through the whats and whys in a collab online editor.

E: Got a lot of help in the general megathread.

Tots fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Is do-while ever useful?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

fletcher posted:

I prefer:

php:
<?
boolean done = false;
while (!done) {
  //do loop stuff
  if (something)
     done = true;
}
?>

I've coded a total of about 2 things so far, and this is what I've used.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Computer viking posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask (since I happily use them, if not often) - is there an good reason to avoid do/while loops?

I don't think so. I think the issue that people take with them is that if you sufficiently understand while loops then they are unnecessary. If you like using them then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use them. Of course I'm new to the game so I could be very wrong, but that's how it looks to me.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Hoops posted:

Can someone help me with some very, very basic introductory problems with installing Java? I don't know a thing about computers. (Originally posted this in the Javascript thread, for example). I've tried 4 different tutorials but they're all getting on my nerves because they just start talking about things I've never even heard of. It's maddening.

So: I have downloaded the Java Development Kit from the Sun website. I clicked "next" and all that through the installation process, without changing any directories at all.

1) I'm being told to download the Java SE API Documentation, which apparently is this. What do I actually download? That's a list of a hundred things that mean absolutely loving nothing. I'm losing my patience at these guides because they go into minute detail about stuff that someone would have to understand to even be reading the website, but the vaguest instructions on the actual stuff that computer-laymans don't know.

2) Once I have this API documentation, it says to unzip it into my Java home directory. I assume my Java home directory is the directory that I just installed that JDK in, which was C:\Program Files\Java

Once I have that, there should be a folder named "docs".

That's where I'm up to.

Gotta take a step back quick before we give you more instructions. Installing Java and installing JDK are two very different things. What do you need to use Java for? Is it for development or is it just to run applications built using java?