Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

If you buy an M18 kit, the charger can do M18 and M12 batteries...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Big Taint posted:

If you buy an M18 kit, the charger can do M18 and M12 batteries...

I was thinking the same thing. My M12 stuff is great for little jobs, but can't hold a candle to the Makita 18V.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

A solid 80% of my power tooling is with my M12 impact driver. I recently upgraded to the Surge one, I’m digging it. Compact, quieter, seems plenty powerful.

I got some Flylink M12 4.0ah batteries on Amazon a couple years ago and they have performed well. They are basically indistinguishable from the real Milwaukee ones I have.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Anyone have a Milwaukee M18 string trimmer? Worth ~$250? I need one and am already 2 chargers, 4 batteries and ~6 tools in to having them all red. Would prefer not to gently caress with gas given that I have so many batteries.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

CarForumPoster posted:

Anyone have a Milwaukee M18 string trimmer? Worth ~$250? I need one and am already 2 chargers, 4 batteries and ~6 tools in to having them all red. Would prefer not to gently caress with gas given that I have so many batteries.

I am all in on the Red Team in the shop but, you can get the entire Ryobi 40V trimmer setup with battery and charger for like $130. It works great. Feels like a 30cc gas tool, except no maintenance.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-4...40250/307663070

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CarForumPoster posted:

No, but I can vouch for going electric. I can do the whole yard on one battery about equivalent to a 9ah M18 in capacity. It's really nice to never have to go to the gas station, touch a carburetor, or really do any maintenance or any kind.

The way I look at it, the reason someone pays extra for a Husqvarna or a Stihl is primarily for reliability and it doesn't get much more reliable than one moving part.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have it, it’s great.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got Makita's 36v brushless string trimmer and I'll never own a gas trimmer again

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have the DeWalt version and it's great. You could use it without earpro on the low setting and I can do the whole half acre fence perimeter on one big Flexvolt battery.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

CarForumPoster posted:

Just got done with mine, it's great.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Big Taint posted:

I have it, it’s great.

Same. Granted, it's much more expensive than any trimmer I've used prior (best categorized as "cheapest corded" or "cheapest gas" available) but the only 'problem' I've ever had is when I let things go way too long for the batteries I have on hand. I recently got another 8ah battery so that shouldn't be an issue anymore.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Big Taint posted:

A solid 80% of my power tooling is with my M12 impact driver. I recently upgraded to the Surge one, I’m digging it. Compact, quieter, seems plenty powerful.

This is my main and favorite tool at the moment. Strong, quiet, super easy to modulate. It's the best.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Galler posted:

I've got Makita's 36v brushless string trimmer and I'll never own a gas trimmer again

I had all electric yard stuff before I started renting places again and I can't see myself ever owning gas powered lawn equipment again if I have a normal sized yard.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have the Ryobi 40V mower, leaf blower, and trimmer and my only complaint is if I get lazy and let the lawn get too long, the battery runs out before I can do everything. This would be easily solved by buying another battery or just not being lazy and mowing more frequently. It's nice to have the mower be so quiet, I don't feel bad at using it at off hours.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Y'all talked me into it. Bare string trimmer tool was $215 from Amazon. I found a reconditioned one with a charger and a 9ah battery for $199 shipped so I bought it. Now I'll have 3 chargers and 5 batteries totaling 20.5 ah. I like that I can swap the trimmer head for a pole saw, extension and hedge trimmer.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 2, 2020

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I need a battery powered worklight for working on the car in the dark. I have no idea what type would be good, but after suffering for years with lovely LED flashlights and headlamps, it's time to do it right. I have some Streamlight Strion HL flashlights, and they are honestly quite poo poo. I've had to warranty them so many times. That's why there are two -so I wasn't without one during a warranty exchange. Except for the last time when they both died the same day.

I have started building a Milwaukee M12 collection. I see there's some lights that take M12 batteries - are they any good?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I pondered this for awhile and ended up buying the Astro 65SL (link)

It’s bright as fuuuuuuck, the battery is decent, and it’s not using tool batteries.

I like the idea of the Milwaukee lights, but I don’t think the M12s are bright enough, and M18 batteries are too premium to waste on light.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Krakkles posted:

It’s bright as fuuuuuuck, the battery is decent, and it’s not using tool batteries.

I like the idea of the Milwaukee lights, but I don’t think the M12s are bright enough, and M18 batteries are too premium to waste on light.
I have a few Small m18 batteries that have pretty much been relegated to work light use. They're the old 2ah ones that I got years ago. Anything that does real work gets a 5 or6 ah battery

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I have the Milwaukee M12 worklight. It's nice but it eats a 1.5aH M12 fast. I've had better luck with the Harbor Freight ripoff of that Astro light, plus a few loose 18650s so I can just swap cells when the battery is dead.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The newer harbor freight lights are actually quite good, though that astro (and the previous version, which I have) is amazing.

I do have the hexagon M18 light that kicks rear end for general flood light under a car too. Really good on batteries.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

I just tried it again. Dead. It let out a LOT of smoke, if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right. :D

Yup, I just have to decide on M12 or M18... I've got batteries for both, but I have to think about my usage. Some times I need the bigger-rear end of the M18, but I usually like the compactness of the M12 stuff. First world tool problems.

I have their M18 drill. Got it hot enough to warrant a welding glove for comfort. When it gets that hot I'll run it for a few unloaded so its fan can pull air across the windings. Mortar would be excessive on cordless without a cool down period.

Hubby did kill the m18 5-1/2" skillsaw about a month ago after ~5 years of use. It was our first M18 tool death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soZrtxV5LLA
replaced it with a brushless 7.5" and holy gently caress the difference.

as for a trimmer? I use a cheap shitbox 18V Ryobi one. It's a couple years old and hasn't eaten itself or a battery yet, so there's that.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’ve been using this happily for the last year or so. I wish it was magnetic. I modified a couple similar cheap lights with magnets for the blasting cabinet, I might have to do the same with this one. Otherwise no complaints, lasts a long time and rugged.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have a Motive bleeder. I want to use it on my mom's CR-V, but it seems like I need to use a universal adapter that looks like it holds pressure via a series of chains.
https://www.motiveproducts.com/products/adapters-import-adapters-adapters-domestic-adapters-adapters-classic-marine-universal

Has anyone used one of these? Are there issues? Some reviews on Amazon talked about leaks.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
CTA 7030 was recommended on Garagejournal, I picked one up but haven't had the chance to use it yet.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Uthor posted:

I have a Motive bleeder. I want to use it on my mom's CR-V, but it seems like I need to use a universal adapter that looks like it holds pressure via a series of chains.
https://www.motiveproducts.com/products/adapters-import-adapters-adapters-domestic-adapters-adapters-classic-marine-universal

Has anyone used one of these? Are there issues? Some reviews on Amazon talked about leaks.

I've done the chain style for an old cast iron reservoir and it was fine. A pain to set up, but no part of bleeding brakes is really fun is it? Really the biggest hassle is getting the chain around and balancing the top. No leaks when I did mine.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
May the lord have mercy on my wallet; I just learned that my local tool pusher carries Starrett stuff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Achtane posted:

Protip: if you want that Harbor Freight offgassing product ambiance but can't go out because of the plague, spray some neem oil around your house.

Neem oil smells like Satan’s coffee.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bolind posted:

May the lord have mercy on my wallet; I just learned that my local tool pusher carries Starrett stuff.

Just check the specific part out before dropping the coin. Their quality had been hit and miss recently IME. My recently purchased 818 came full of grit and no oil. Most of their foreign-made stuff is nothing special, but it's nice that they're very clear on COO.

Also, Zoro is a distributor and you can use coupons.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Platystemon posted:

Neem oil smells like Satan’s coffee.

What does differential oil smell like? Satan's rear end?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Colostomy Bag posted:

What does differential oil smell like? Satan's rear end?

The sweat from Satan's gooch.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
A discount tool store on eBay has Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc. with a 15% off coupon code: PLUSPWR

Here's the landing page: https://www.ebay.com/e/_electronics/evergreen-factory-authorized-outlet-8-3-8-8

Picked up an Milwaukee M18 flood light/USB for $10 less than the cheapest eBay/Amazon buy it now price.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CarForumPoster posted:

A discount tool store on eBay has Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc. with a 15% off coupon code: PLUSPWR

Here's the landing page: https://www.ebay.com/e/_electronics/evergreen-factory-authorized-outlet-8-3-8-8

Picked up an Milwaukee M18 flood light/USB for $10 less than the cheapest eBay/Amazon buy it now price.

Love how it swings wildly between power tools and body armor plate carriers.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

In addition to sucking out my will to live, this glass tile job is killing my tools. First, it ate my drill. Now, it ate my Dremel that I've had for 20 years. It's a variable speed one and when I put it up to 20k rpm+, it would cut in and out. When I dropped it down below 18k, it stayed on. Don't care enough to troubleshoot it, gonna get a red one of those, too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

meatpimp posted:

In addition to sucking out my will to live, this glass tile job is killing my tools. First, it ate my drill. Now, it ate my Dremel that I've had for 20 years. It's a variable speed one and when I put it up to 20k rpm+, it would cut in and out. When I dropped it down below 18k, it stayed on. Don't care enough to troubleshoot it, gonna get a red one of those, too.

The Red "dremels" ain't exactly the best.

I bought one a few years back, within a couple months, the switch broke, luckily it broke in the on position. Then a little while after that, the speed control also stopped working. Luckily it also failed in the particular speed setting that I used it at.
Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, where I plugged the battery in, and smoke started coming out.
Looking at reviews on Home depot website etc... I see lots of bad reviews for similar problems with the switch and speed control.

The only reason I got that one is because I already had a bunch of milwaukee poo poo and didn't want to get a separate charger for something different.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

wesleywillis posted:

I bought one a few years back, within a couple months, the switch broke, luckily it broke in the on position. Then a little while after that, the speed control also stopped working. Luckily it also failed in the particular speed setting that I used it at.
Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, where I plugged the battery in, and smoke started coming out.
Looking at reviews on Home depot website etc... I see lots of bad reviews for similar problems with the switch and speed control.

The only reason I got that one is because I already had a bunch of milwaukee poo poo and didn't want to get a separate charger for something different.

drat. I'm glad I didn't get one. M12, I'm assuming?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've had my dremel for 27 years. If I had to replace it tomorrow I'd get a Proxxon for sure. It's just nicer in all kinds of small little ways.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

I will second this, my M12 Dremel seems to be less than ideal as it ages. I haven't even ever given it a proper hot supper but now if I turn it on with the speed control on low, it doesn't actually make enough torque to start up and it will sit there heating up while stalled.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I will second this, my M12 Dremel seems to be less than ideal as it ages. I haven't even ever given it a proper hot supper but now if I turn it on with the speed control on low, it doesn't actually make enough torque to start up and it will sit there heating up while stalled.

Y'all are making me rethink just shitcanning it. Other than today, it's always performed well. I just checked it and now it's running all the way up to its 30k rpm max with no issues. Maybe I'll run it some more and see if I can troubleshoot the problem. :shrug:

It's a 398, which is one of the pricey-er models in their repair options: https://www.dremel.com/documents/20812/0/Maximum+Repair+Chart+2020/0e851d6f-2813-753d-736f-a689eeef3e75

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

meatpimp posted:

I'd probably spray some of the cleaner for stereo knobs into the speed control knob before I look into any real repairs/replacement. If its 20 years old it might just have some oxidation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, what Cat Hatter said. If that doesn't work, look up the parts diagram on ereplacementparts and buy the speed control unit, probably cheaper than from Dremel.